ok here is a weird one - Page 2

--

May 13th, 2005  
Arclight

The conquest of the Americas by most of the European nations had a tremendous effect on the world.
May 13th, 2005  
Desert_Eagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arclight
The conquest of the Americas by most of the European nations had a tremendous effect on the world.
That too, but could it be considered a war?
May 13th, 2005  
Arclight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_Eagle
Quote:
I thought about that. The Native Americans no doubt resisted the Europeans and Americans through battle for the most part, but I am not quite sure whether or not they actually declared war. But these days, war isn't necessarily marked by a formal declaration of war. So, in my opinion, I do believe they could be considered wars.

Upon further speculation, I think that the conquest of the Americas cannot be classified as one big war. Rather, one would think about individual tribes or alliances fighting the Europeans in their respective area. My first post should be disregarded, as it is not a war, rather a group of wars.
--
May 13th, 2005  
melkor the first

Topic: Far-reaching war

For the sake of argument, I would say that the Seven Years War(or French and Indian War - or the First world war as has been suggested) may have had the most far reaching effect on both the combatants and the world around those combatants. It established England as the dominant force on the North American continent and set up the English presence in India and Asia. Just considering the alternative is harrowing and possibly the closest I can think of that would come close would be the wars against the Muslim expansion into Europe.
May 13th, 2005  
Missileer

I'm going with the Atomic age, WWII. The whole world will be suffering over this one as long as there is one left.
May 13th, 2005  
fronzz

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by behemoth79
well you cant argue with WWII. short thread.
True on both things. I challenge someone to find a war more affecting.
Revolutionary War.
May 13th, 2005  
Desert_Eagle

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I thought about that. The Native Americans no doubt resisted the Europeans and Americans through battle for the most part, but I am not quite sure whether or not they actually declared war. But these days, war isn't necessarily marked by a formal declaration of war. So, in my opinion, I do believe they could be considered wars.

Upon further speculation, I think that the conquest of the Americas cannot be classified as one big war. Rather, one would think about individual tribes or alliances fighting the Europeans in their respective area. My first post should be disregarded, as it is not a war, rather a group of wars.
There was the 40 year indian war fought by the US.

And responding to the above post. It created a new nation, but it wasn't recognized as a world power until the peak of the industrial age. I'll stick with WWII. It began the Nuclear age, killed many people, all of Europe was conquered (and taken back), it gave birth to the Soviet Union we read about in text books as a tyrannical regime, it saw more war crimes than any other war, and it created the UN and soon after created the country of Israel.
May 15th, 2005  
danthepirate

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Upon further speculation, I think that the conquest of the Americas cannot be classified as one big war. Rather, one would think about individual tribes or alliances fighting the Europeans in their respective
area. My first post should be disregarded, as it is not a war, rather a group of wars.
There was the 40 year indian war fought by the US.

And responding to the above post. It created a new nation, but it wasn't recognized as a world power until the peak of the industrial age. I'll stick with WWII. It began the Nuclear age, killed many people, all of Europe was conquered (and taken back), it gave birth to the Soviet Union we read about in text books as a tyrannical regime, it saw more war crimes than any other war, and it created the UN and soon after created the country of Israel.

yes you are right i thingk WWII wins

good arguements everybody
May 16th, 2005  
Desert_Eagle

And I say again, does anyone object to the fact the WWII was the most influencial war?
May 17th, 2005  
MI Blues

Topic: Most affecting? Least affecting?

Just as a contrast to the previous posts - I'd like to offer up the Falklands/Malvinas war as perhaps the war which has had the LEAST affect on the people of the nations who participated.