Was it oil all along?

OK let's turn the question upside down then.

Would an invasion of Iraq be just as likely if the country didn't have any oil resources?

And if the answer to that question is "yes" one could always ask what standards the dictators in "evil-countries" are measured by, and how much does it take before these dictators are up for an invasion...

I may be accused of being obsessed with conspiration theories here, but I still believe the plans for an invasion of Iraq was hurried up on the agenda after the coup de etat on president/general/jefe Hugo Chavez failed...

OK let's turn the question upside down then.

Would an invasion of Iraq be just as likely if the country didn't have any oil resources?

And if the answer to that question is "yes" one could always ask what standards the dictators in "evil-countries" are measured by, and how much does it take before these dictators are up for an invasion...

I may be accused of being obsessed with conspiration theories here, but I still believe the plans for an invasion of Iraq was hurried up on the agenda after the coup de etat on president/general/jefe Hugo Chavez failed...

I doubt Iraq would have been on the political map had they had no oil (ie without oil there would have been no invasion) but that still doesn't mean the invasion was about oil, lets face it without oil Iraq would not have been able to attack Iran or Kuwait it would have simply been another third world dictatorship ignored by the west.

So I will respond with a question for you, had Iraq not already been an international pariah through Gulf War 1 would they have been invaded at all?

I still believe that Iraq was invaded for many reasons some justified and some not and I believe that stacked against one another it was a 50-50 split but then the exact same case can be made against North Korea, Somalia, Zimbabwae and countless other third world dictatorships that will never be invaded the thing that put Iraq at the top of the list was oil.

Last edited:
There must be some point where I can disagree with the "Kiwi's" but at this moment I have trouble finding any... :)

I'll go so far as to say if Iraq was the worlds richest date producer, and carried on the same way as the previous regime, we wouldn't have given them much more than a second glance.

I don't wish to seem ungrateful, nor do I wish to appear as a fool, and I think that if I were to say otherwise I would only be fooling myself.

However, now that we are there I feel we have a moral obligation to finish the job. However that may be accomplished.

I dont know whether oil was the reason but I do know is that the U.S. is shipping oil out to help keep prices at U.S. pumps low.( yes you may say they are high but thats due to a number of reasons)
British troops are spilling their blood in Iraq but are their families and loved ones benefiting from any oil coming out of Iraq?
Any U.S. citizen able to guess what i just paid for an imperial gallon of diesel (in U.S.$)???
Share the booty if thats what it is.:jump:

Well, war is an expensive trade, and those who have it as a hobby or habit must be sure to have a good friend in the treasury department.

The West also conducts it in a very expensive manner.
Cutting costs in appropriate ways should be a high priority in all armed forces if they wish to survive.

The West also conducts it in a very expensive manner.
Cutting costs in appropriate ways should be a high priority in all armed forces if they wish to survive.

Well, up here they managed to cut all the costs to such a minimum that the armed forces claims to be unable to cope with the governments demand for troops overseas during international operations...

When the government required more F16's for the operations in Afghanistan apearantly the commander of an air-base responded like this:
"Shall we send one, or both?"

Well, war is an expensive trade, and those who have it as a hobby or habit must be sure to have a good friend in the treasury department.

This is another problem. When Europe and the likes of the British Empire rolled over, they had a begign friend ready and willing to rescue them. If and when America faces similar situations who can they turn to? No friend with a fat wallet waiting in the wings for them.

There are places to cut and places not to cut. Apparently they made the wrong cut.

Nay, they just cut to deep...

What's left of the army is known as the 6th. division, the 1-5th. divisions only exists on paper, and barely so..
The Air Force has been reduced by both number and bases.
The Navy is mostly anchored at the few navy bases left.
The Coastguard is struggeling to keep the gaps in our territorial waters closed.
The Coast Artillery doesn't exist any longer, not even on paper.
The Home Guard is reduced to about 60% of it's previous size.

History has a tendency to repeat itself, now we're witnessing the post WWI disarmament known as the "Policy of the broken rifle" back here.
And we all know what happened some 20 years later...

Back