OIF

Chaotic

So there i am just got off the plane and in the nice 130 degree desert. Been there a few weeks in Kuwait and recieving all the newjoins coming in from the US. Dust flying and cant see 10 feet in from of me.. when a few navy doctors and corpsmen show up off the bus and land in good ol Camp Tarawa.. 200 or so i think.

They get off the bus and look lost as hell and you can tell they have no clue what to expect. Time on deck is about 2200 and life sucks.

In a flak jacket, full ammo and locked and loaded. Life is just grand.

When you leave the US you leave with ammo and your weapon so you can literally land off the plane running if need be.

We have the Navy side providing us medical support. .. In proper procedure when you enter a camp you have to clear your weapon wether it be an M16 or a M9.. every one gets off ...and gets mustered..

1st off these guys are 06's all the way down to e2's and they are trying to figure out how to form up... these poor guys have been inside hospitals their entire enlistment and last time they formed up was in boot camp.

so after 20 minutes of getting together and the Senior Petty Officer took charge, they finally get a makeshift formation.

I brief the SPO on the regulations as far as the clearing of the weapons and how we will be doing the procedures..

note: Ever rememeber that trick you tell someone something and it goes down a chain ... and by the time the chain is over... you get something totally different.. well yeah thats what happened

I go to my sentry and instruct him to clear every weapon and ensure that everyone is checked before entering the camp. When i turn around to talk to the SPO the whole formation has their weapon in the air and clicking their M9s...

reminder: these people have ammo and have to be in condition 1 when traveling .... (condition one: magazine inserted .. ROUND IN CHAMBER)and are now getting cleared to condition 4 ... (condition four.. no magazine no round in chamber)

My head goes down and almost can hear the rounds go off. I walked over to the SPO and asked him to please have his personnel take their weapons and holster them...

Half the personnel had never touched a weapon.. and the other half had never had live ammo with their weapon.
But 100 percent had ever fired their weapon and the last time they had it was more than years ago.

I had to give an impromtu class to a whole bunch of Doctors and Corpsmen ..

I feel bad and feel my life in danger from my own service members. God help me and god save me, i love the NAVY because they are my DEVILDOCS in combat and stay by my side if need be when rounds go down range.
But when i see these guys, i see lost looks..
they are assigned to the trauma platoon and specialize inside the garrison environment, but in OIF there technically is no garrison environment. SCUDS only land a few hundred yds away. So everyone is in need of a weapon just in case.

The navy was not concerned IMO to instruct their troops and officers as weapons training.

But you have to imagine those 200 M9 up in the air. clicking..
OMG.. what a site to see.

I laugh now because i can ..but now every time i hear a click on an M9 berreta.. i think of the NAVY
GO NAVY!

I can see that whole scene playing out. I have a few NCO buddies in OIF right now, and have heard a few similar stories, though they say they respond with lots of four letter words just to make sure they don't have to witness and live through that scene again.

Oh by the way did the soldiers on the flight line all turn and look with the expression of WTF!? lol

something similar

This story is second hand, and somewhat similar. When I was deployed to Bagram Airfield for OEF, I had the pleasure of working with some Air Force personnel. All the officers and airmen coming into OEF came in individually. They all flew in through Kyrgystan for some reason.
The problem with Kyrgystan was the air support was always busy so Space A seating was not always available. So they usually had to stay overnight (or several nights) in transient tents. Since the Air Force did not have many people there, they all stayed in the same tents, regardless of rank. Well, the Captain I worked with was telling us about this airman.
He deployed from his unit alone as usual. Without a weapons case for his M16. Apparently this poor kid flew from a civillian airport and was forced to break down his weapon and stow it in his check bags.
When he arrived to the transient tents, he pulls the pieces out, looks around at all the officers and asks, "Does anyone know how to put one of these things back together?"
Gotta love today's military.

I can relate to that medical story, since I'm one of them. :shock:

Someone I trained with last summer is working in one of the EMEDS/CSH's out there (near Baghdad...Balad, I think?), which gets shelled pretty regularly. It's gotten to a point where by reflex, if they're in bed and the shelling starts, they roll onto the deck before they're even fully awake.

One time, he hears what he thinks is shelling while asleep and hits the deck, but after a 1/2 hour after the noise stops, still hasn't heard the all-clear. He finally pokes his head out only to see construction engineers doing work with a crane or a backhoe or something, which was creating all the noise. Says it reminded him of the time there was a false fire alarm and he went running out of the barracks in his underwear.

Back