OICW - Tell Me More

zander_0633

Milforum Gnat
Helo everyone, Can any tell me more Info about OICW, the new rifle that would be used in the US army. I found some sites but they did not give me enough Info. Please include Pictures if you all have any. Thanks!:peace:

The OICW has been advanced into a whole comprehensive program now and not just the weapon.

The system of weapons has become so complicated that they have decided to implimament them in 3 phases adding more features and weapons in each phase on top of already functioning equipment from previous phases.

The XM-29, which many refer to as the "OICW" weapon is in a state of limbo as the developers grapple with how best to move forward with the system. Under 2004 research the rifle portion of the XM-29 was to be seperately developed as the XM-8 project and the computerized air-busting weapon was to be developed at the XM-25. However, recently there have been rumblings to make the XM-8 and the XM-29 weapon systems different entities altogether. This will likely continue to change and adapt as R&D breakthroughs are made.

OICW phase 1 is concerned with replacing the current generation of M-16s, SAWs, etc. with another weapon system (assumedly the XM-8 or something like it).

OICW phases 2 and 3 are still ambiguous but concern themselves with the higher technologies in the OICW program such as the XM-25 airbursting weapon, electronic sight technologies, newer ammunitions, landwarrior implementations etc.

So the trust of the research now is to get some of the developments in the hands of soldiers now and then add on new features as they come on-line instead of waiting for the whole package to be done first.

But I heard that the US Marines have already started using them! Is it true? Can any US Marine Verify that fact? BTW, is the OICW a Bullpup?

Can I know what you mean by Large?? Large Gun size or Large Surface area of the Gun?

Whispering Death said:
No, that is false.

The XM-29 has never been a bullpup weapon. It has always been very large.

Bullpup designs are to make for a smaller gun. XM-29 has always been very large. It's long, it's tall, and it's heavy. It is large.

I have never touch or seen a real XM-29 before, so you are saying that the rifle, compared with the others, is quite big! Would that also risk the enemy spotting you as the Surface area of the soilder carrying the weapon would increase?

Yeah, they might see you a little earlier, but the 20mm airburst round coming in on them would solve that problem rather quickly...

The rifle component of the OICW is not bullpup, but the launcher component most definitely is. The grenades for it are loaded behind the pistol grip.

So that means the XM-29 is a multipurpose Rifle? With all the Grenade launcher and stuff, wouldn't is be very heavy? Can any tell me the weight of the rifle?

major liability said:
The rifle component of the OICW is not bullpup, but the launcher component most definitely is. The grenades for it are loaded behind the pistol grip.

As Koz said, thermal. TIS is much better than any NID.

Does the Thermal Vision allow you to see better than the Night Visoin Googles? When you see through the Thermal, do you see all red like those used in the show " Hollow Man"? I know that night Vision goggles seen through them is green in colour. By the way, can theTIS be used in the day?

zander_0633 said:
Does the Thermal Vision allow you to see better than the Night Visoin Googles? When you see through the Thermal, do you see all red like those used in the show " Hollow Man"? I know that night Vision goggles seen through them is green in colour. By the way, can theTIS be used in the day?

Thermal uses heat to veiw, hence the name thermal. TIS (Thermal Imaging Sight) can be used during the day, in rain, fog, snow, sleet, smoke, haze, light skined objects, and dust. You can see heat left from a human being, like if someone where leaning against a wall, the thermal view would see the heat left by the body.

Thermal comes in many colors. White-hot, red, multi-color, and green-hot.

Night Vision
1_nv_p60837949238749238749823749832.gif

Thermal

1_SPi_PT_lm_032202.jpg

91283791287381927trascen.jpg
http://www.x20.org/images2/91283791287381927trascen.jpg

http://www.x20.org/images2/1_SPi_PT_lm_032202.jpg

major liability said:

Well, "literally" you can be right, but calling the XM-25 component bullpup is a stretch.

And the thermal sight isn't neccessarily going to be on all production models of the XM-29. They've been experimenting with all kinds of sighting tools from thermal to TV-cameras for use with landwarrior. So that's a design feature that isn't set in stone.

Last edited:
Ok ic, Thanks! By the way, is the weapon "waterproof"? like the MP5 which can go into water and then used immediately?

Back