OICW - Tell Me More

Oh, just because to add this. I read a little summary article written yesterday on the OICW stating that the maker of the weapon thinks the first OICWs could be in active duty in late 2006.

Whispering Death said:
Well, just keep in mind that things always move very slowly when it comes to the millitary.

LOL. Too true.

Military Time;

Five Minutes: Half hour

One Hour: Rest of the work day

One Day: Whole week

One Week: Next month

One Month: Six months

One Year: Time yet to be determined

I was involved with the weapon testing program for a short time after I was recalled in 2001. The system is pretty impressive as well as deadly. The problems they were having at the time I was involved was the weight issue. You'd have to be a big dude to carry one of those all day.

As a sailor, they would be pretty useful on a bridge wing on a ship against small craft. One round into the bridge could mess with a guy's mind (if you could get it there), but then a harpoon up jobu's butt would work quite well too!

I don't know if anyone said it, but the XM-29 was canceled. But they are still tinkering with the XM-25 idea.

I do not think that is entirely accurate PJ24, can you give a source?

I do know that the XM-29 has been shelved as too ambitious for the time being. Instead they want to focus on developing a replacement for the M-16 and the air burst XM-25 portion then go back to making the complete XM-29.

However, nothing has really come out to my knowledge since about August and I'm very interested in hearing what decisions have been made durring this black-out.

Whispering Death said:
I do not think that is entirely accurate PJ24, can you give a source?

I do know that the XM-29 has been shelved as too ambitious for the time being. Instead they want to focus on developing a replacement for the M-16 and the air burst XM-25 portion then go back to making the complete XM-29.

However, nothing has really come out to my knowledge since about August and I'm very interested in hearing what decisions have been made durring this black-out.

Other than what the R&D guys involved on the project said, nope. A lot of news travels by word of mouth in the big DoD machine. It's a pretty recent move from what I understood, they stopped pumping money into it altogether. Too expensive, too bulky, too heavy same old same old with a lot of these new toys they're trying to plug out. When I get back to my AO, I'll see if I can find out some more information for you.

They are definitely keeping the XM-25 around, and from what I've gathered up, it's showing pretty good potential.

I've always liked the theory of the XM-25 but I've never been sold on the practicallity of the whole OICW weapon.

I really just want to see a replacement for the M-16 NOW rather than waiting for next year... next 5 years... next 10 years... and low and behold it's been 40 years since they first said they where going to try and get a replacement.

Work on the XM-8 program and work on competing programs to that design. Once you've got that handled; then figure out how to integrate XM-25 functionality.

Whispering Death said:
I've always liked the theory of the XM-25 but I've never been sold on the practicallity of the whole OICW weapon.

I really just want to see a replacement for the M-16 NOW rather than waiting for next year... next 5 years... next 10 years... and low and behold it's been 40 years since they first said they where going to try and get a replacement.

Work on the XM-8 program and work on competing programs to that design. Once you've got that handled; then figure out how to integrate XM-25 functionality.

XM8 is still on the shelf and to be honest, I kind of hope it stays there. I was never a fan of it. It doesn't offer much of anything over the M16/4 family.

It is an okay weapon, but it doesn't offer much of anything over the M16/4 family. It also weights about a pound more than the M4. One thing I do know for sure, it doesn't live up to the hype that was put out. Of course, to be fair, not much does.

I'd rather see the M16A4 with HK upper and maybe some new mags than the XM8. Myself personally, I'd choose the M4 over the XM8 any day. Most guys either love it or hate you, you don't find many with an inbetween opinion on the XM8. I guess we'll have to wait and see how things turn out.

I love the HK416 and FN SCAR. (shameless plug)

jedi078 said:
What about the M-468?

The only problem I see is changing over to another type of round (the 6.8mm).

As a possible replacement? It is in the running, but the 6.8 will cancel it out, not to mention the high price tag on it.

Well that's what I'm saying. Figure out a replacement for the M-16 first. Then get the XM-25 to work. Then put the whole thing together in the OICW last.

What I don't like is just seeing tons of small weapons research over 15 years and we still have nothing to show for it.

Whispering Death said:
What I don't like is just seeing tons of small weapons research over 15 years and we still have nothing to show for it.

g11brochure.jpg

But remember, if it's bullpup, it doesn't exist.

Last edited:
Back