Ohio school suspends boy over Mohawk

I don't think a 5 or 6 y/o kid gives a rat's behind about what haircut they have (I've raised 4 of them). If the parents have a problem with the school's rules than they are free to change schools. In my opinion, this is a case of parents choosing to confront the school and using their child as a means to do so.
There are other ways to go about changing the rules without drawing public attention toward your child. Short skirts, offensive T-shirts, toys that look like weapons, and knives brought just for lunch have all been banned. Schools do make rules. This is just a kindergartener, the place where teaching kids about the real world begins.
I don't know about where anyone else works, but where I work, I can't have a Mohawk, a long beard, T-shirts, etc.. If I can't work within those rules, I can work somewhere else. If I choose to do that, I don't think I'll be showing up at my next interview with a Mohawk. That's the real world.
Expressing one's self can be done within the rules. IMO, the teen years are the time for expressing one's self, 5 year olds need to be 5 year olds.

Hers something you wont see often, I agree with this.

:)

same here. We teens are supposed to be the bellingrent ones, not 5 year olds. (I've got a brother in 1st Grade, and he gets away with being a totall :cen:. And my parents blame me for being a bad influence. Why don't you just sit the little jerk down on his :cen: and tell it like it is?)

I can see no legitimate reason for a 5 year old to have a mohawk, except for the fact his parents are desperate for attention.
Discipline and manners of a person need to be instilled from a young age, it was done with my generation starting with a uniform and at least some basic level of grooming. Now there is none of this and at 14:30 each afternoon my train is invaded by a bunch of slovenly dressed arrogant yobbs - we call them our future.
So should we blame the school, which would have to constanly change and upgrade its policy every time an attention seeking parent or snot nosed student feel the need to test some new found boundry.
Or should we blame the parent and or student (depending on the students age of course) for simply being an unproductive and disruptive influence, who simply wish to see how much they can get away with and for no other reason than that.

Yeah... shoot what the heck is wrong with us?
Kids these days need a lot more ass kicking than they're getting. All I see nowadays is disrespect, arrogance and laziness... all the ingredients in making a very bad student. Being a bad student means the vast majority of these guys will grow up as f***ing idiots who will find flipping burgers just about the limit of their mental capability.
Although individuality IS important, I think there is too little emphasis on courtesy, compromise and teamwork. Everything is about ME ME ME now and what the individual "deserves."
You can find it in even the most unlikely places. A few months back I was watching Bee Movie with my wife ( :( ) when I realized that the story is about this one bee who has zero work experience suddenly questioning the system in which they live in. His breach of the system in fact brings death to flowers and eventually threatens themselves. In the end the hero gets it right... but what will the kid remember? The hero disobeys, and everything is good in the end.
In real life, even after making things as they were before, this character would have been put behind bars instead of being paraded as a hero.
Blindly obeying is wrong and dangerous. But kids do this selectively these days as well. They will blindly DISOBEY adults, yet get suckered in to every single trend and fad there is, oblivious to the fact that they are ignoring people who want them to become good people and are obeying jackasses who just want to sell them junk.
Personally, I think schools should have uniforms until at least the end of elementry school. At LEAST. In the old days it wasn't such an issue but I think little kids running around in skimpy clothing (it happens) is just completely inappropriate.
I swear we're still feeling the effects of the damn Hippie generation.
Thanks India. Thanks a lot.

I can see no legitimate reason for a 5 year old to have a mohawk, except for the fact his parents are desperate for attention.
I dunno about the US, but here in Australia we have this crazy theory called democracy, whereby you don't need a "legitimate reason" to have your hair cut any way you like,.... even moreso if it's your parents who are calling the shots. Maybe the parents are dropkicks, but the school hierarchy preventing their kid from getting an education is not going to change that. As far as I know, the law states that between certain ages you shall be required to get an education to approved standards,... and there it stops. Nowhere does it say that it is incumbent upon the schools to tell kids how they can cut their hair merely so that they may comply with the law.
Discipline and manners of a person need to be instilled from a young age, it was done with my generation starting with a uniform and at least some basic level of grooming.
I think you are getting your wires crossed here, Nowhere has it said that the kid was undisciplined, poorly groomed or lacked manners. Other than his mohawk he may be well dressed, scrubbed and combed within an inch of his life.
So should we blame the school, which would have to constanly change and upgrade its policy every time an attention seeking parent or snot nosed student feel the need to test some new found boundry.
No, if the schools kept their mind on teaching the kids to read and write this ludicrous situation would never have arisen. I'd like a Dollar for every time I've heard teachers bleating, "It's not my job to teach them manners, that's their parents job".... and quite rightly so.
Or should we blame the parent and or student (depending on the students age of course) for simply being an unproductive and disruptive influence, who simply wish to see how much they can get away with and for no other reason than that.
Having a specific type of haircut does not make a student "productive" or compliant or anything else.

There's only one thing I dislike worse than exhibitionists, and that's "the thought police". Narrow minded individuals with nothing better to do than try to shape the lives of others, even though they pose no actual or implied threat to society.

Yep, I keep my hair cut short (No3 on top, No2 on the sides) and I don't even go to school, but that's my legitimate right, I don't have the right to impose my desires on others unless I can show that they are breaking the law, and even then I must be very careful how I go about it.

The way some people are going on here one would think that having a mohawk is gonna instantly turn the kid into Ghengis Khan and that some kind of weird radiation that he emits will turn the other kids into illiterate zombies.

How many parents have had to send their kid to school with a weird haircut? I know I have, only because my son aged about 7 or 8 and his mate decided to try my hair clippers on one another. The result was shabby to say the least and it was decided after consulting the mates parents that they should both get No1s (about 1/8 inch all over) to try and hide the evidence.

They both got the rinse taken out of them at school before classes, but then it died a natural death and nothing more was said, although it was mentioned again at his 21st birthday.

The kid has a crazy haircut, not rabies, let's get over it and move on.

You're right senojekips, but while it won't turn them in to the next Ghengis Khan what it will do is teach them from a very young age just how much they can get away with, especially if people constanly back down every time the child or parent challenges them
In regards to the manners/dicipline I referred to, yes he might indeed be a perfect little angel but the teenager that he grows into may be the very same arrogant slob I see on the train each afternoon simply because no one has ever told them No to the most simplest of things let alone somthing more important than a hairstyle.
All I know is how I remember Australia when I was growing up here as a kid and what Australia turned into once children realised what they can get away with once our standards drop, bcause those in authority, either teacher or parent no, longer care.
Ah hell...I just hate kids.:twisted:

Spike, sometimes looking the part is the first step in being the part. Most good students LOOK like good students. Most trouble makers LOOK like trouble makers. And it's not just us treating them that way. They act the part.
I know there is this thing called freedom but if you have freedom without responsibility you end up with a total s***can. Children, by their very definition, do not have a lot of responsibility and at younger ages don't understand the concept of it (and unfortunately don't learn as they become adults). You cannot give unbound freedom to minors who have no responsibility.
This is why when a child screws up, the parents are responsible.
Right now there is a bit of an educational crisis in America and I have no doubt that a lack of discipline with school students is probably the primary reason. They are free to do almost whatever they want and the government has been stripping teachers of their authority and power. If the student with the biggest problem happens to be a minority, you can lose your job if you send him to detention or reprimand him more than the others. The parents will step in (overprotective little s***s) and they will make sure the teacher loses his job. The teacher's got his own family to feed. He's not going to risk it. So he's going to just sit there at his desk and not give a crap.
So the other students see how this other kid can get away with just about anything so they start losing control.
Meanwhile the parents spoil the living daylights out of their children and never accept the fact that there could be something wrong with them that they need to fix.
Dammit!
Whenever I see our "future" I want to jump off a balcony.

Last edited:
Yeah. what's going on gives me the "tom tits" too. But an over reaction sends much the same message. "Boy,.... now I know how I can get up these old fogey's noses". Reactions like this are what is responsible for these kids you can see hanging aroung the shopping malls with more scrap metal in their faces than some Iraqi bomb victim. If they were ignored and no one flinched when looking at them, they wouldn't bother.

I think that's what the parents wanted in this case, and the dumb as "dog do" authorities just took the bait and ran like there was no tomorrow. The parents have had their win, and the school authorities are to dumb to realise it. This comes back to my argument. Who wants people like this ruling their lives?

Some people just can't help themselves.

The answer will start when the authorities recognise political correctness for what it is and stop trying to placate the minority "trendies".

Last edited:
Dammit!
Whenever I see our "future" I want to jump off a balcony.

Apparently you aren't the only one...

“I see no hope for the future of our people if they are dependent on the frivolous youth of today, for certainly all youth are reckless beyond words. When I was a boy, we were taught to be discrete and respectful of elders, but the present youth are exceedingly wise and impatient of restraint."

- Hesiod ("the father of Greek didactic poetry", 700bc)

You would think something would have changed in the space of 2700 years.

:)

As long as others do no harm to me, I mind my business and let them live how they want to live. And I think everyone else should do the same. Some people don't want to strive for their best. Some people just want to live their lives for pleasure, because you only live once. :brave:

Major Liability that may be but it's got its limits.
For example... if I'm on a boat and the crew are so lazy that the ship's probably going to sink, I'm going to motivate those lazy @$$es because as long as I'm that ship, sinking is not an option. And if generations of my people are going to be on that ship, it better stay afloat as long as possible.

Yeah!!! Go Redneck!!! I was telling my stepdad about one of the jokes you posted and how you were from South Korea and he said the ROK Marines are badass and I should show uptmost respect.

Don't get me wrong; I wish people were less apathetic these days too, but I don't see any easy way to get people to care again.

You know what bothers me the most about this whole thing? We're a nation (world really) at war, and people are up in arms over a kindergartener with a mohawk. What is wrong with this picture? There are far more important things going on in life than how a kid's hair is cut and styled. *shrugs* But what do I know?

Why is what Angelina Jolie had for lunch last week national news? Because I think that the newscasters find war news all the time too... depressing. They need something about Americans. And that's the best they can do.

Back