Ohio school suspends boy over Mohawk

True.

I like being a good girl...but maybe that is just me.

(Plus, mohawks and rat tails look extra trashy on women).

ETA::: But I might do a Jedi look on my kid. Then I'd just refer to him as "youngling." LOL. :D

that's all grand if the parents aren't idiots...

Idiots they may be, but is that a good reason to deny the kid an education. I know lots of parents that I feel don't set a good example to their kids, but I don't feel that the kids should be punished for it.

The only reason that the school is picking on the kid is that they have no legal case against the parents. Like I've said all along. This is between the department of Education and the School but no,... the school realises that they wouldn't win there either. Which starts to show the underlying truth of the matter, the school is exceeding it's authority and using the kids education as a bargaining chip to fulfil their own petty wishes.

Schools are for education, a child's upbringing is the preserve of the department of social services (whatever your equivalent is).

With the current rash of school shootings and other problems, I feel that the school should get it's priorities in order, and stop messing with a kid just because they don't like his haircut.

P.S. What happened to parents teaching their children their manners, sharing, and starting to mold them into nice young men and women.... Why does it always have to be, "BE YOURSELF, be a rebel, don't care what anyone thinks of you, just do what you want!" If everyone was a rebel this world would suck. (It is getting there).

I agree 100%.
Everyone's so interested in having an attitude, being "themselves"... They say do what you want, but they don't teach the part that you have to pay for your decisions and be responsible for them.
People think having an attitude and being uncooperative etc. is being yourself. I just never understood that. Maybe they didn't get their asses kicked enough.

People think having an attitude and being uncooperative etc. is being yourself. I just never understood that. Maybe they didn't get their asses kicked enough.
Non cooperation only becomes a problem when it interferes in the rights of others, and here lies the kicker..... No one, has the lawful right to order the kids parents to have his cut in a particular way. So in fact, it is the school officials who are being uncooperative here.

Strange but true.

If you don't exercise your rights, soon enough you will have none.

I don't think a 5 or 6 y/o kid gives a rat's behind about what haircut they have (I've raised 4 of them). If the parents have a problem with the school's rules than they are free to change schools. In my opinion, this is a case of parents choosing to confront the school and using their child as a means to do so.
There are other ways to go about changing the rules without drawing public attention toward your child. Short skirts, offensive T-shirts, toys that look like weapons, and knives brought just for lunch have all been banned. Schools do make rules. This is just a kindergartener, the place where teaching kids about the real world begins.
I don't know about where anyone else works, but where I work, I can't have a Mohawk, a long beard, T-shirts, etc.. If I can't work within those rules, I can work somewhere else. If I choose to do that, I don't think I'll be showing up at my next interview with a Mohawk. That's the real world.
Expressing one's self can be done within the rules. IMO, the teen years are the time for expressing one's self, 5 year olds need to be 5 year olds.

Non cooperation only becomes a problem when it interferes in the rights of others, and here lies the kicker..... No one, has the lawful right to order the kids parents to have his cut in a particular way. So in fact, it is the school officials who are being uncooperative here.

Strange but true.

If you don't exercise your rights, soon enough you will have none.

I just meant in general.
I think the kid had the right to have a mohawk and the school, if they had a problem with it, should have specified any grooming standards pretty clearly. I also think it's stupid that a 5 year old get a mohawk and it's even stranger that the parents would do it but each to their own. Like DTop said, 5 years old isn't exactly the whole "expressing myself" stage. I guess for the school, they never envisioned anyone stupid enough to send their 5 year old to school with such a haircut.
But you know what I mean.
You ask a guy if he can hand you that book that's next to him and all he has to do is reach over and slide it over to you and the guy gives you the whole attitude thing.

I agree, I think the parents need a serious talking to, but that's about the end of it. Being as "different" as they are, they won't take any notice anyway.

We live in an age where parents think it's trendy to make their kids stand out from the crowd, you only have to read some of the bl00dy stupid names given to them in the daily papers. My argument is, that this is nothing to do with education and therefore the school should get back to teaching kids to read and write and let others worry about fashion or whatever they like to class this as.

They might as well start learning how to adjust to the real world at a young age. Where I work, the machinists and some factory workers can wear jeans and a denim shirt but engineering is required to dress business casual, slacks, or skirts, and a "sensible" top or shirt. Ties are optional unless a customer shows up. There are a few exceptions. One EE tech faithfully wears hand made 1880s duds. I'm talking authentic mountain man stuff. Tall boots with "dog ears" with pants legs stuffed inside. He has nothing but that kind of wear in his wardrobe. Think of the "Wild Bill Cody" wild west show and you will have him down to a tee. Long hair, moustach, and goatee.

Then there is the designer who wears spike heels, a man, and long, extremely well groomed hair usually with a ponytail held with a silver or black velvet bow. His wife owns several beauty shops so I guess that accounts for the great "dos". When he walks, he walks faster than any woman I have ever seen in a pair of four inch heels.
Sometimes he shows up with a suit and tie with his "heels" and sometimes a sleeveless Western style shirt. He will alternate with sandals and gold toe rings, which is pretty disconcerting when you plop down in a stall and see feet like that in the stall next to you. None of the special interest groups knew where he belonged but the truth was, he isn't a cross dresser, he just likes a few feminine articles.

Then, there's the guy with the Billy Ray Cyrus mullet but I won't get into that one.:confused:

I agree 100%.
Everyone's so interested in having an attitude, being "themselves"... They say do what you want, but they don't teach the part that you have to pay for your decisions and be responsible for them.

you have a point...

I don't mind the rebels. It's quite refreshing when the monotony starts getting to me. And sometimes they have good ideas.

Admittedly, I never bought into the idea that I owe the world anything. But I never took it to the other extreme like some people and got the notion that I was owed anything by the rest of humanity!

I know... I know...
It might look cute when it's written poorly with crayons but it's just stupid in any other situation.
People have to realize that their babies will not stay babies forever.
It must just suck @$$ if your parents name you something like, Pinky or Prince.
I actually saw a brother and sister named Mickey and Minnie. Walt Disney should sue.

mhmmm...

I've noticed a complete lack of interest in government by anyone in High Schools. There are a few diehards on each side who are already in ROTC and will vote Republican, and a few who already wear tie dye and will always vote Democrat. But the vast majority plans not to vote at all. The general attitude is, "Well, when this guy turns out to be an idiot, I didn't vote for him." Everyone is just happy to complain and do nothing, which I believe has to do with how they were raised. Their parents sort out every single problem for them, even though they're 16 and should be doing some of this themseves, the lazy :cen:s.

Your kids aren't 8 anymore, alright, parents? Treat them more like adults now.

I'll be goddammned if my kid grows up to be a spoilt brat. But I have a feeling the government may force me to do just that.

Back to the original topic: Why would you want your 5 year old kid to have a mowhawk? The parents must be a little strange if their haircut of choice for a 5 year old if a mowhawk.

-----

I guess schools look down upon useless things..they didn't like it when I cut my hair short (I've grown it a little longer since then).

Back