Oh my God help!

Lilmissflamethrower

Why is it my family has to try to cram their political beliefs down my throat? I could care a whit what other people believe, but my liberal family (and neighbors and friends of family and their kids) are always getting in my face about my beliefs.

I have literally had teenagers and adults yelling at me that Republicans are nazis and child killers and monsters, yada yada yada...

Why do they care? And how can I relate to them that there is no point in trying to scream and yell at someone to change their belief system.

I just don't understand why they think the world revolves around changing my belief system. I'm glad they think I have so much influence! Like I said, I respect that they have their own opinions and don't see why I can't have mine. I hate arguing politics.

Can you give me some advice how to deal with this issue?

Thanks and sorry for the rant, I just can't take it much longer.

Stacey

talk to them. be open about their beliefs and tell them that you wish they would be open about yours. Say you understand where they are coming from on theirs, but that you would like for them to understand where you are comin from, or at least try too.

Its hard to ignore people who follow you around the house screaming. The worse thing is now they have brainwashed my son. Between his teachers, his friends, my parents and Michael Moore, he is a goner.

It really really hurts. I don't try to argue with him, I feel it would do no good. I guess I can just pray...

Wait wait wait.
Listen here: I am surrounded by that sort of people. One of my housemates is the son of the leader of a leftwing trade union and says he likes Bin Laden. The other one's got the USSR flag hanging in his room along with pictures of Stalin and Italian communist leaders.
The other one is a Catholic who always blames the West, the US, the CIA for whatsover happens in the West.
Most of my friends are like that ( not all of them ).
All these University students play the intellectuals, the snobish thinkers, the philosophers, our teachers... no need talking about.
So what do I do ? I mean I think the way you do, from what I've seen, and proudly so.
I FIGHT.
In the early days I used to totally ignore them. Thats a quick fix on the short term only though.
But when you have to live with those people ( who may be just about lovable folks, no questioning ) you cant play nonchalant.
Your nerves will break down, your liver will end up smashed if you know what I mean ( you sure do ). And they will think you cant talk back, you dont measure up to their beliefs. But you do!
Just fight back. When they start screaming at you, say, badmouthing Bush or the CIA or talking about oil as the real cause of the war or whatever, you tell them why it is not the way they say it is.
Every single time. You know what? I think you got nerves enough to do so, I think you got so much anger and rage STORED inside you that once you start speaking it will be like a flood: there will be no stopping it.
They will like the fact the fact that they managed to piss you off , at first, but trust me once they see that you destroy all of their beliefs, they will begin to get bored and annoyed.
Fight, fight back. It will only do you good, and be healthy to your nervous system. It's the only way.
This forum provides people like you and me with excellent sources of information to give them tons of verbal slaps.
Gd luck -

Wow! I am so impressed with your insights. I do feel like a squashed beetle. I have just never liked arguing about anything. But I see your point.

I cannot CANNOT believe someone likes Bin Laden. That is close to psychotic... Does he know that Bin Laden and his crew terrorize girls who want to go to school? In Afghanistan, even though schools are open to women, families fear to send their girls there because the Al Queda come to their homes and torture them, burn down their house, etc. If he is so liberal, does he feel women shouldn't have any rights?

I will think long and hard about what you are saying. Part of the reason I don't argue is because my family doesn't know how to debate. They just get into a screaming rage and don't listen...

Thanks.

Erm, wow Italian Guy... we now know who to go to if we feel like venturing away from our peaceful ways. Lol. I just figured enough people in this world were going to hate me without me even doing anything, so why make more?

CrazyCadet142 said:
Erm, wow Italian Guy... we now know who to go to if we feel like venturing away from our peaceful ways. Lol. I just figured enough people in this world were going to hate me without me even doing anything, so why make more?

I dont think I fully got your point: you're saying that fighting back as I suggested is no use?
Well I used the word Fight Back, but -hey of course there are times when I'm tired or whatever and I just say: oh you guys say what you want I dont care, of course you also happen to do that. I'm not saying arguing and provoking people and beat em or anything like that. No. You gotta show respect, you gotta keep it civil.
But what i'm saying is you never ever gotta look like you're giving in to their stupid ideas. Make them face with their own contradictions: they criticize the governments that seeks for more oil sources? you ask them what they think plastics, or electricity, or colored-pens for kids, or even hospital surgery machines and tools are made of, if not from oil.
When they criticize the war industry, ask them where they think the cellphone mobiles tech comes from, if not from the Pentagon.
Same thing about the Internet, as you know.
Of course you have to admit many things are wrong in the nowadays world, because thats true.
What we think though is that the Western Society ( which is not only oil and war, but democracy, freedom, peace, human rights and pursuit of happiness ) is the best society that we have in the world, at the moment.
Ask them what other society they'd prefer.
Fight back, once you get it started, you'll feel better off and you'll witness improvements in the situation around you.
I'm sorry I know my English aint perfect, but just try get the meaning of what I'm saying.
Remember what sort of people I'm surrounded by: my advice comes from experience.
Would be glad to know what you think about this.

P.S. Not hard to believe a woman with such a sweet face doesnt like arguing 8) But it's a dirty world, ma'am, and we gotta get dirty too :twisted:

Italian Guy said:
CrazyCadet142 said:

I dont think I fully got your point: you're saying that fighting back as I suggested is no use?
:

nope, not saying that, just saying that wouldn't be my choice.

K, Italian Guy, I need to borrow you. Would you come over and argue with my family? You sound really intelligent and good at debating.

One thing is they watched Farenheit911 and now have my son believing what he saw. Since I didn't see it, I don't know what they are talking about. I need for my son to understand that anyone can make a movie and make other people look stupid. If you ever watch The Daily Show on Comedy Central, they do that everynight. They just edit the film so the person looks like an idiot...

Mainly, I am going to find someone, a man, who is smart and patient, to talk to my son without my parents around...

Italian Guy, please get your plane ticket...

Well, Lilmiss, who knows? i might come 8)
I have a homie in L.A. and I might fly to CA some time around next Feb.
Until then, though :D , I'll give you this:

http://www.davekopel.com/Terror/Fiftysix-Deceits-in-Fahrenheit-911.htm

and http://slate.msn.com/id/2102723

http://www.moorewatch.com/f911flyer.pdf

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1163167/posts

(or others about the reasons why he sucks: )

http://www.mcclave.com/2004/06/michael-moore-sucks.html

http://www.whatever-dude.com/posts/327.shtml

http://www.spinsanity.org/columns/20020403.html

http://www.spinsanity.org/post.html?2002_03_24_archive.html#75037397

http://www.spinsanity.org/columns/20021119.html

There are some links in there and they tell you about whats false in Fahrenheit 9/11, too. The first one is specifically about the movie though.
Please let me know if it's of some use. i know its lots of links but trust me there would me millions more, I just gave you the most interesting ones.
Take a couple of hrs for yourself and read them.
Unfortunately I ain't too much into US tv shows or things so I can't say ( each one of us has to fight his own personal battle :twisted: , you know I have my fair share ), but brainwashing your son is one of the meanest things they could do. As far as thats concerned, Lilmiss, I wouldnt let anyone interfere with my son, specially when it comes to such relevant issues like the way to view your Country or the extent to which love it, not even members of my family.
Ask them politely not to involve your son ( how old is he?) in any of their initiatives.

You wrote: "Mainly, I am going to find someone, a man, who is smart and patient, to talk to my son without my parents around...".
I'll tell you who the best person to do that is: it is you, it's gotta be you.

And you definitely don't need to find anyone 'intelligent' to do that, your intelligence, from what I've seen, is cunning and absolutely up to the task.
You said : " I need for my son to understand that anyone can make a movie and make other people look stupid". Tons of people I know don't understand that, for instance. You can teach your son that TV, like any other thing, is good or bad depending on who makes it and on who watches it. Your son deserves it, take a 2 hr break and learn about what your family is telling him about.
I'm glad if I'm being helpful, Lilmiss.

Thanks for those links. I was exactly looking for that. I don't know about me being the "man" to talk to my son. I let someone give him the birds and the bees talk. Sometimes a man has gotta talk to a man....

And not even really a man for this one, just a person that isn't me. If you haven't noticed, when talking to family, other family usally puts up their mental defenses and doesn't listen.

So I take it back about a man. A smart person who isn't family would do. But I am definately going to look at those links.

I will look up those links. For the next ten days I am involved in an event at work and plan to be out of my brain until its over... Then whatever brain is left, I will put it back in and look at the links..

Back