Oh China...

Rabs

http://reuters.myway.com/article/20060327/2006-03-27T083322Z_01_PEK158006_RTRIDST_0_NEWS-RIGHTS-CHINA-FILMMAKER-DC.html

[FONT=Verdana,Sans-serif][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Sans-serif]BEIJING (Reuters) - Chinese police have detained a Chinese-born film maker who is a permanent U.S. resident, a family member said on Monday, weeks before President Hu Jintao visits the United States.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Sans-serif]Hao Wu, who returned to China in 2004 after living in the United States for 12 years, had been missing since February 22 after interviewing human rights lawyer Gao Zhisheng, while making a documentary about an underground Christian congregation, his sister, Wu Na, said.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Sans-serif]An officer at the Beijing Public Security Bureau confirmed Wu's detention last week, but declined to give a reason or say where he was being held, she said.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Sans-serif]The petitions office of the police station reached by telephone declined to comment.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Sans-serif]No formal charges have been laid, although Wu's sister believed the detention might be related to his contact with Gao, who has been suspended from practicing law, or possibly to outspoken comments on his personal Web log.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Sans-serif]China routinely blocks access to Internet sites on sensitive subjects and rules introduced last year target Internet news content to tighten the noose on freewheeling bloggers and rein in a growing source of information.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Sans-serif]"I don't think it is related to his filming of the underground Christians. I think it is related to the lawyer or being too open on his blog," the sister told Reuters.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Sans-serif]Wu's apartment was raided and filming equipment, video tapes, computer, personal diary and other effects taken away, the sister said. Police interrogated Wu's house-mate days later.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Sans-serif]The sister said Wu had phoned her three times since his disappearance and sounded depressed during the last call.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Sans-serif]"I'm very worried about his emotional state," the sister said, adding that police told her to return to Shanghai. Wu did not say why he was being held.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Sans-serif]Wu did not want a lawyer and appeared unable to speak freely, the Paris-based press watchdog Reporters Without Borders said.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Sans-serif]"I feel very sad because I cannot get any news right now," she said. "I don't know what will happen to him next."[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Sans-serif][/FONT]

That sucks for the guy. Where are the human rights activists now? I got a good idea, send the "best of the best" of them to China. Guaranteed to be gone inside of a week hehe. Evil yes, serious no.

And some people have the nerve to label me paranoid, I call it prudence and incidents like this are NOT uncommon. They are simply seriously under-reported, that's why there are no human rights activists. Where the hell would you start in a country where information is strictly controlled and this sort of thing is as common as the sunrise.

I wish canadian-chinese and achinese were here to try and cover up or sugar-coat this with their PRC propaganda stuff. bulldogg, I don't think you're paranoid. I'm in the same boat with you in terms of opinion regarding the Chinese government. Governments who use violence, threats, and intimidation to stifle the free speech of their own people will never have my respect.

AstralDragon

You know, its a known fact that the PRC does monitor western (so called 'decandent') websites and forums (very often military or political). They do this in order to window dress the fact that the PRC still remains totalitarian, or to subconsciencely push a hidden PRC agenda. Not to get all Tom Clancy on everyone, but I have often wondered how many times we have been snooped by member of the PRC government...

mmarsh said:
AstralDragon

You know, its a known fact that the PRC does monitor western (so called 'decandent') websites and forums (very often military or political). They do this in order to window dress the fact that the PRC still remains totalitarian, or to subconsciencely push a hidden PRC agenda. Not to get all Tom Clancy on everyone, but I have often wondered how many times we have been snooped by member of the PRC government...

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised. I suspected as much considering how many hacker attacks are launched against the Pentagon and various other sensitive military mainframes on a daily basis, and everytime the US traces it to China, they can't do anything about it.

I know it everytime they do it... I am forced to use a proxy to access this site for hours, sometimes days while they "review" the contents of our illustrious web home.

:cens::brave::cens:

ASTRALdragon said:
I wouldn't be the least bit surprised. I suspected as much considering how many hacker attacks are launched against the Pentagon and various other sensitive military mainframes on a daily basis, and everytime the US traces it to China, they can't do anything about it.

While China sits back and says "It wasn't the government. It was an individual". . ? I imagine that would be the gist of the conversation.

Marinerhodes said:
While China sits back and says "It wasn't the government. It was an individual". . ? I imagine that would be the gist of the conversation.

I love their [the Chinese government] excuses and stories. Sometimes I actually put my Chinese language skills in use by reading the Xinhua newspaper and oh man it's hilarious. For those of you that do not know, Xinhua is the mouthpiece for the Chinese government so freedom of press = -1, propaganda = 110.

Marinerhodes said:
No they would never say that, they would tell you it is an internal security matter and ask you to kindly :cen: off.
:read:

Ever heard of Titan Rain? They say it's a Chinese government-backed hacking group that has successfully broken into the Pentagon and FBI networks.

major liability said:
Ever heard of Titan Rain? They say it's a Chinese government-backed hacking group that has successfully broken into the Pentagon and FBI networks.

I have. I read about it in TIME magazine like 2 years ago. It was about an American group hired by the Pentagon to catch those hackers and trace them (Titan Rain = the Chinese hacker group believed to be working for the Chinese government). Most of the hackers (routers to be more exact) were traced back to Guangzhou...

America has some of the best universities the world offers (cmon now, if foreign students are willing to pay 5x the tuition fee just to go to American junior colleges, how much do you think they're willing to pay to attend American univerisities?). Those univerisities train some of the best engineers in the world (the military even handed the control of the Lawrence Livermoore Nuclear Lab to the UCs in CA). I say the US should employ those hackers to do a little cyber spying for the US against China and various other hostile nations. America has flexed her miltary might for quite some time now, let's have her flex some brain cells.

The ruling party of this country is The Chinese Communist Party. When they change names and all the old communists are dead and no true believers remain in positions of power, authority and influence I will agree. Until then they reap the consequences of their intransigence.

bulldogg said:
The ruling party of this country is The Chinese Communist Party. When they change names and all the old communists are dead and no true believers remain in positions of power, authority and influence I will agree. Until then they reap the consequences of their intransigence.

Riiiight just like the Soviet Communist Party...its like saying a Capitalist system is when everyone shares all the money...

Back