Officer with enlisted expirence vs just an officer

Redcell

I am going to enlist in the marines, and if I stay for life, I want To be An officer. My question is how much of a diffrence between an offficer who was an enlisted man first compared to an officer who was just in school?
wouldnt the officer who was enlisted first be able to lead his men better, or does the training make up for that?

I can't speak for the Marines, or the opinions of the hierarchy, but it was always my experience that Officers who came up through the ranks were almost without exception far more practical people to work for, and as such got better performance and following from their troops. That does not mean that I did not also meet some fine Officers who were traditional men from the Academy.

Personally I feel that men who rose through the ranks have have a distinct advantage over their Academy trained counterparts.

But that is purely my own opinion.

I agree with Spike here.
Although largely it will depend on your abilities. If you come from the ranks, you don't have to imagine what the enlistedmen have to deal with. If you come from an academy or ROTC, you will have to have a good imagination and great observation skills and even then you can miss out on a lot. Either way, I've seen people from the academy make great officers.

Thank you. Would you, If you were Going to be an officer Spend 4 to 8 years as an enlisted man then do four years of college and OCS or would you try to earn a commision?

Question: Are you going to enlist and work your way up through the ranks before seeking your commision?
If so you are looking at alot of years before you are getting to where you want to be.
IF you think you have what it takes to be a good leader of men, why not go for that position in a more direct manner?
Your learning curve will be steeper when you get to your unit, yes.
But as you concider yourself a leader that shouldn´t be a problem, should it?

//KJ.

If I had the educational requirements and thought that I could put up with another few years of "formal" education plus the added service requirements, I would choose the academy.

However being the type of person I am with a rebellious streak just below the surface, and having no real liking for formal education (not that I can't do well if I want), I feel that my best option would be up the hawsepipe as we say in the Navy.

Times have changed a lot with this, as I know of a junior sailor who has risen to the highest rank in our Navy, in the last ten years, whereas in my day there was a glass ceiling at Lt/Cdr, Major, rank which was almost impossible to get past.

I would seriously advise you to seek information from members of the service you intend to join before making a decision such as this. Many can not hack the strict requirements of the Academy, and just as many could not stand the endless and sometimes senseless drudgery of the lower ranks. Both systems have the ability to develop a person's character dependant upon the attitude of the applicant.

Times have changed a lot with this, as I know of a junior sailor who has risen to the highest rank in our Navy, in the last ten years, whereas in my day there was a glass ceiling at Lt/Cdr, Major, rank which was almost impossible to get past.

That's still there for SNCO's who just do a conversion course. If you go to the darkside and do the whole Duntroon thing then you will be a full officer.

I don't think it's an issue in the US as I've seen plenty of folks get past Major who came from the ranks.
Eight years is kind of unnecessary. I'd say that you'd get a pretty good idea after putting in maybe two or three years as an enlistedman. Of course, you'll have to keep your eyes open.

Get in charge of a squad/section and then when they want to promote you to a platoon sergeant position go for officer then. I think that's how the system should work anyway. Everyone joins as a private and then after section/squad command you choose to either go officer and command some more or keep heading down the NCO track into the administrative duties

True Wallabies, but I'm afraid that our man here might end up joining the officer cadre a little too late compared to his peers. It's good to get some experience in the enlisted ranks but it's also important that he doesn't become an officer too late. I'd imagine it'll take him about four or five years before he just about makes squad leader and then it'll take another four to make platoon sergeant at best. I'm assuming he doesn't have a University degree yet so that means he'll be nearing his thirties before he makes 2nd Lieutenant.

In our army officers don't need university educations. If he joined at 17 he could make section commander by the time he was 21 then he would get 2-3 years in the battalion until they tried to send him to a training establishment so he would put in his officer application after about 2 years of being a corporal, 12 months at RMC Duntroon and comes out with 2 pips. A full LT at 24-25 with 7-8 years experience. Now that would be a good army.

That would... too bad it doesn't work that way in many other places including the US.
The world's got its own system and we have to follow suit.

I have been blessed with a PL who was a Ranger in his former E life. Best PL, correction officer I have met to date.

Just saying, if he waited until he was like Staff Sergeant while as Enlisted, going officer would have been harder for him as a career choice.

Just saying, if he waited until he was like Staff Sergeant while as Enlisted, going officer would have been harder for him as a career choice.

Agreed. He did it though. He was an E7 like a month before his commission. It has to be hard for him going from large and in charge to new guy on the bottom rung, but he does his job and he does it well.

It all depends on you. I'm an ex officer and have seen some superbly talented soldiers, who in my opinion, would've made great officers / leaders, but the didn't want the responsibility. I lay no claims to being the next Alexander, but for me it is all about the desire to lead and do the best for your men & women. I don't think that coming through the ranks is a handicap or a bonus - I've dealt with quite a few GOPWO's (grossly over promoted Warrant Officers) in my time as well, they tended to be resistant to change, opportunity and normally quoted regulations to support inaction.

Ir is the man not the paper that defines leadership, which is what an officer provides - if you think that you've got the gumption, go for it, but be prepared it isn't easy living - fun, rewarding but also heartbreaking.

Best of luck to you my friend.

Agreed. He did it though. He was an E7 like a month before his commission. It has to be hard for him going from large and in charge to new guy on the bottom rung, but he does his job and he does it well.

Yeah, more power to him, but it's not necessarily what I'd recommend.

Back