Offer from the Navy Reserve.....

Lil Hulk 1988

Hey, I need some opinions.....

I have been contacted by the Naval Reserve with an offer of a commission as an Ensign in the reserve, the boards are in September....

Should I consider it?

Semper Fi...

Brother. That all depends on what you want. What field they have lined up etc etc.

You already know the ups and downs of the military. I'd say if you want it go for it.

that is really interesting. do you get your old pay grade and rank? if you do then that would be a good thing. if you have a good idea about your responsibilities and the like and you are comfortable it would seem to me like a sound judgement. But alas i am neither salty or dry behind the ears!! Best of luck with your decision.
not to mention in eight short years you would get to retire!... unless i read that wrong on about.com and it has to be 20 straight service years!
Like i said this is through the eyes and ears of a lowly civie so don't take anything to heart!

cheers
duayne

As 03 said, it's all in what you want. Do you want to be an officer? Do you want to start at the bottom of the dogpile as a Naval officer? Are they offering you anything else? Doesn't hurt to consider it - all that means is that you'll find out as much information as you can and apply it to whatever decision you make.

I doubt I would have anything to add to help you in your decision, Lil Hulk, but I would like to say congratulations on the offer. It sounds like somebody likes what you're doing. :D

RnderSafe said:
As 03 said, it's all in what you want. Do you want to be an officer? Do you want to start at the bottom of the dogpile as a Naval officer? Are they offering you anything else? Doesn't hurt to consider it - all that means is that you'll find out as much information as you can and apply it to whatever decision you make.

I was hoping you would jump in....

THat is my biggest issue, starting at the bottom no matter what position is offered. At 37 and having a career ( I manage international operations now for a company), I do not know how I would act toward a 25 year old LTJG barking something at me. What was your experience when you moved over? I had the chance while I was young to stay in the Corps and gain a commission, but decided to go reserve infantry and a civvie career.

Lil Hulk 1988 said:
THat is my biggest issue, starting at the bottom no matter what position is offered. At 37 and having a career ( I manage international operations now for a company), I do not know how I would act toward a 25 year old LTJG barking something at me. What was your experience when you moved over? I had the chance while I was young to stay in the Corps and gain a commission, but decided to go reserve infantry and a civvie career.

Adjusting was difficult for me. Having been an NCO .. becoming a butter bar felt like taking a step backwards. Especially when confronted with mouthy Lts and Cpts younger than I and with far less experience. I loved my new role and duties - but I absolutely hated the politics and drama of being an officer. Eventually, however, there comes a point where you either adjust or you fail, and since I was there to lead men, that's what I focused on and ignored the trivialities. You really have to practise humility as a religion. :lol: And the paper work ... I still despise that.

What it is going to come down to is, is this something you absolutely feel you need/want to do? Will it benefit you, your country, and those under your command? Will it be in any way fulfilling? Those are some of the questions I asked myself before I went to the dark side.

RnderSafe said:
Adjusting was difficult for me. Having been an NCO .. becoming a butter bar felt like taking a step backwards. Especially when confronted with mouthy Lts and Cpts younger than I and with far less experience. I loved my new role and duties - but I absolutely hated the politics and drama of being an officer. Eventually, however, there comes a point where you either adjust or you fail, and since I was there to lead men, that's what I focused on and ignored the trivialities. You really have to practise humility as a religion. :lol: And the paper work ... I still despise that.

What it is going to come down to is, is this something you absolutely feel you need/want to do? Will it benefit you, your country, and those under your command? Will it be in any way fulfilling? Those are some of the questions I asked myself before I went to the dark side.

The exact concerns I have....I feel it is something I need to do, my wife thinks different. I know it will benefit my country and the personnel under my command, it might be a egotistical thought, but I made a difference as an NCO and I know I could make a difference as an Officer, how many officers you know with a Korean Ranger tab? :D My internal battle is that I had this opportunity when I was 21, MCECP, and let it go, am I too old to make a personnel contribution? Will I be used for operational planning or tactical operations? (the OIC comments mostly on operational planning) So with those questions, I have until the boards to make my decision, the OIC says the boards for me are a formality, so I have some deep thinking to do..... :roll:

Back