The Odd And Unusual In The Military

Unless Doody posts the answer before I get around to it, or somebody has a brainstorm, the answer will be here by tomorrow.

Its from the George Herbert poem Jacula Prudentum meaning "short and pointed remarks made by judicious men" (circa 1625) There is controversy over whether it was an old saying rather than a Herbert coining the phrase.

For want of a nail the shoe was lost,
for want of a shoe the horse was lost,
for want of a horse the knight was lost,
for want of a knight the battle was lost,
for want of a battle the kingdom was lost,
all for want of a nail.

Basically a saying that means you have to look after the small stuff to make the big stuff happen.

He also coined (which I really like)
"Living well is the best revenge."

So to my answer, which is a hazardous guess

You're clues were
Nails, horses & cannons
British
Doody and you are inclined to know? I thought maybe that was cryptic - with the real meaning your online name Charge. Doody's - I was lost on that one???

So I think it was the French cavalry charge at Waterloo. The French captured the English cannon but they lacked any headless nails to spike the guns. The English which had formed infantry squares inflicted heavy losses on the cavalry and recaptured the guns. Had the French been able to destroy the guns, the battle would have likely turned out differently. Napoleon launched a frontal infantry assault against the English line and the same cannon they had been unable to destroy.
"for want of a nail the kingdom was lost".

The thing I can't figure out was that this battle was a 150 years after the phrase was written by Herbert. My best guess though

You are correct and get the 100 milbucks. Congrats!

Yes, it is odd that the phrase got turned around and so I was going to give partial credit for saying Richard III. My guess though is that since that was not documented and the incident at Waterloo was, and told the tale of the battle that it superceeded the former in the lexicon.

Next question will be much easier since one that I thought was "easy" didn't turn out as such.

For 100 milbucks name the only tank that served in both world wars.

Sorry, Rich, I forgot about this. You are correct. The French Renault FT-17 was indeed the only tank used in both world wars.

Next question:

This officer was the only one to attend the surrender ceremonies of all three Axis powers (Germany, Italy and Japan) at the close of WWII. Since this is a rather hard one I'll set the reward for a correct answer at 500 milbucks.

General Carl Spaatz.

CAPs highest award is the General Carl A. Spaatz Award so I thought some CAP'er would have gotten it.

Indeed, 82nd is correct. You wanna give him the money as well as approve his answer, Rich? :p :lol:

Just kidding, 82nd gets my moola, but with that I'm calling a halt to this quiz line for the next several weeks while we prepare to move and then actually move. I won't be online so much for awhile.

Back