The Odd And Unusual In The Military - Page 4

--
Boots

March 23rd, 2005  
03USMC

Thomas Henry Kavanagh. Irish Postal Worker Siege of Lucknow India 1857 during Sepoy Rebellion.

Kavanagh volunteered to leave the city in disguise and contact and guide the relieving force to Lucknow. His mission was successful and the besieged defenders and civilians rescued.
March 24th, 2005  
Charge 7

Okay, Doody's in your dust now. Congrats! That was far from an easy one. Since you're doing so well this next one will be much harder.

America very nearly suffered a surprise attack decades before Pearl Harbor and long before WWI. That attack, had it occurred, would've devastated the US. Plans were not only fully detailed and drawn up, but exercises and levies of men and equipment were in place. Only that nation's leader's lack of attention (many feel from a physical disability) saved the US from likely destruction. For 200 milbucks name the nation and the leader that would've attacked us. For a 100 milbuck bonus, name the provocation that led to this state of affairs.
March 24th, 2005  
03USMC

I'll go with Victoriano Huerta Dictator of Mexico. 1915 Plan de San Diego. Invasion Point Laredo Texas, objective Rio Grande Valley Control. US interventions in Vera Cruz and Tampico on Woodrow Wilsons orders and Wilsons displayed dislike and contempt were the catalysts.

Physical Diability- Huerta was an Alcoholic. Nick Name - El Borachito The little Drunk.
--
Boots
March 24th, 2005  
Charge 7

A good try, but Mexico couldn't have destroyed the US. The country I'm looking for easily could have. That's a big clue right there. Not that many countries could fill that bill.
March 31st, 2005  
Charge 7

Okay, since nobody's made any attempts at this over the past several days, here's a clue:

What countries would have been powerful enough around the start of the 20th century to utterly devastate the United States? What ones of those would've thought of doing so? That should narrow the choices considerably.
April 5th, 2005  
Tibs

Wild guess: The British Empire?
April 5th, 2005  
Charge 7

Nope, but you're in the ballpark.

Okay, to see if it's interest or difficulty I'm gonna up the value of a correct answer to this question to 500 milbucks. A correct answer to the second part bonus question is now worth 300 milbucks.

8)
April 6th, 2005  
03USMC

France. Over the Panama Canal.
April 6th, 2005  
Charge 7

Nope, but you're in the ballpark too.
April 7th, 2005  
Tibs

Ok, my second guess is Canada ( Would be interesting if this is the right answer) in the Invasion of Canada in 1812 (War of 1812). US forces were far from ready and King George III was beginning to go insane. The British garrisons in Canada were primarily Canadians. British officer Major General Sir Isaac Brock - who repelled the US invasion - died in the same year.