Odd Military Trivia

Status
Not open for further replies.
4) Well Sir, I've never read the book or seen the movie so don't yell at me if I'm wrong. A glove. I vaguely remember something about a glove on a documentary.

Okay guys: its now thursday, and these questions are up for grabs:

2. In World War I, German submarines faced a floating Ruse that sometime resulted in their demise. What were these floating ruses called?

3. A british "major" by the name of Martin participated in a great ruse against Germany. What did this man do? answered by DiverVan for 10 milbucks!

4. Vasilli Zaitsev in the Book Enemy at the Gates supposedly had a sniper duel with a German officer ( its not verified, but it is a great story). IN THE BOOK, what ruse does Vasilli use to get the German Major sniper to reveal his position? ( If I get the answer from the movie, I'm going to scream).

5. In the movie made titled Beau Geste, The French Foreign Leigoners in the fort try a desperate ruse to keep the desert invaders from attacking the fort. What ruse do they employ?

get to answering them..for an easy 10 milbucks a piece

Again Good Luck. :D

Q. A british "major" by the name of Martin participated in a great ruse against Germany. What did this man do? [/b]

"Major Martin" was a pneumonia victim that was found (in London, I belive) who was dressed like a Intelligence Officer then taken by submarine just off the coast of Occupied France and released. In his briefcase, which was chained to his wrist, were "fake" plans for the Allied invasion at Calais. The hope was to direct German attention away from the real landing sites at Normandy.

Okay heres the answers to settle the darn beer bets

2. In World War I, German submarines faced a floating Ruse that sometime resulted in their demise. What were these floating ruses called?

answer: They were called Q-boats. What they would do was take an ordinary vessel, place hidden guns, torpedo tubes and the like on it, and patrol the sea lanes. Since one of the tactics of the U-boats was to surface and finish off a non-combatant type vessel was with a deck gun (after they gave the crew a chance to get off the ship), the q-ship would wait till the sub was on the surface and vulnerable, then sink it with the hidden deck guns. Q-ships were used in both wars, by all combatants (yes the Germans had them too, as well as the japanese)

4. Vasilli Zaitsev in the Book Enemy at the Gates supposedly had a sniper duel with a German officer ( its not verified, but it is a great story). IN THE BOOK, what ruse does Vasilli use to get the German Major sniper to reveal his position? ( If I get the answer from the movie, I'm going to scream).

Answer: It was the old fake head in the helment trick. they raised it up, waited for the german to fire, spotted the reflection of his scope under the sheet metal, and fired back. Although its never been proven the duel took place, they supposedly have the germans scope on display with Vasillis rifle

5. In the movie made titled Beau Geste, The French Foreign Leigoners in the fort try a desperate ruse to keep the desert invaders from attacking the fort. What ruse do they employ?

answer: as each man died, they would put his body, propped up, on the parapret leaning through the appature with the rifle wedged under the arm to look like they were still waiting to shoot something. The remaining survivors would run behind them and simulate them shooting. I guess the berbers weren't really hip to the trick.

There has been little participation in this topic in the past month, although i have changed the questions and monetary awards. Unless someone PMs me to continue with this form of trivia, i will close this topic down and lock it. Bye Bye and thanks to those who played.

:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back