Odd Military Trivia

Status
Not open for further replies.
oooooohhhh...want to do some walking with that talking?

:D

BTW sherman got the answer within 15 minutes after i posted it...

Congradulations Sherman but i will not give in. Also i never said I would take it down. :D (at least i hoped i didnt) Besides he did it with mirrors and what not.

oh yaz...mirrors! i forgot all about them!

12 CST tommorow..due to the lateness that one was put to the web.

I look forward to saving some bucks..see what type bribe sherman will take! :idea:

(Make it worth your while Sherman...dont sell out unless you get a good price from the little.... :D )

well here is the answers belatedly: church went loooong today!

What I was looking for was the last time, ot the latest time decimation had been used by an army as a tool for dicipline. There are actually three instances in WWI that would have satisfied this answer:

1 Battle of the Marne, French Army. General Boutegourd had seven soldiers from the 327th regiment shot on 7 September 1914 without even a preliminary hearing for retreating during the Battle of the Marne.

This particular organization had a lot more than seven men run from the battle. It would seem that the general had one individual group picked at random, and arbitrarly had seven of its memebers shot. This is a straight form of decimation, the use of selecting individual soldiers at random and shooting them as an example. It is the one , authoritative documented latest example of this I could find in study.

2. The British Army, 1914-1918: Decimation in the form of trials and sentances carried out. Between 1914 and 1918 the british tried 3000 men for crimes concerning the battlefied. Of the 3000 sentanced to death, 300 or so were actually put to death, the rest commuted in sentances.

This is a broad form of decimation, in that one in ten have actually been put to death, although it occurred over a period of time and not confined to just one period on the battlefield.

There is a great web site that defines the Shot at Dawn syndrome of the British Army here:

http://www.shotatdawn.org.uk/

The last case of decimation occured in the french army during the great Mutiny, April 29, 1917. Although not proven, some 30 soldiers (out of a total of 30 to 40,000 mutineers) were shot after the mutinies had been put down.

It would appear that the French and Italian armys, which were the last major Military organizations to have a decimation clause allowed in their code of military justice, outlawed the practice after WWI.

Thank God for small favors. :D

lets just say...if you thought that trivia was just for breakfast its actually closer to dinner

dreaming of the big munch...need to get a work snack!

:D

The odd trivia question for June 14-19 2004

Examine my avatar picture carefully. This is an extremely odd aircraft, with an extremely odd mission.

For 50 Milbucks, answer all the following questions:

1. What type of aircraft is it? (Aircraft model number, and nomenclature must be present for the complete answer)

2. What military group flew this particular type of aircraft? (This is tricky by the way. Study the photo carefully for clues)

3. What was its original mission (what was the fighter was built to do)?

4. Why is this aircraft missing its wheels? (its deliberate, by the way)

5. Are there any remaining examples of this plane? (if there is, where are they?)

mod edit: i goofed! the first question is 50 milbucks: wedesdays question is 25!

:shock:

umm
1) ?
2) japanese suicide bombers
3)suicidal attackes
4)luanched from a ship and not supposed to return
5)not in the sky or on assembly line.

I guess the picture is too small but i dont want to post a link to it, because then you'll get the answer you need.

If some one can tell me how to get the image into the main typing field, ill put it in so its bigger..otherwise ill pull this question tommorrow and save it, cause no one wants to try it. even for 50 milbucks.

well, i was reminded that the answers are needed to settle a bet...so here goes

1. What type of aircraft is it? (Aircraft model number, and nomenclature must be present for the complete answer)

Answer: Its a F9C-2 Sparrowhawk, USN Fighter aircraft

2. What military group flew this particular type of aircraft? (This is tricky by the way. Study the photo carefully for clues)

Answer: The United State Navy Airship Program used them as parasite aircraft for two navy lighter than Air Ships: The USS Arkon, and The USS Macon. The planes actually were stored inside the airship, and deployed and retrieved in mid-air.

3. What was its original mission (what was the fighter was built to do)?

Answer: Although the F9C-2s were popularly regarded as defensive fighters for the airships, their principal mission was to act as scouts to extend the effective operating area of the mother ships, which were themselves used as scouts.

4. Why is this aircraft missing its wheels? (its deliberate, by the way)

Answer: On a few occasions when the Sparrowhawks were operating exclusively from the Macon without using land bases, they were flown without undercarriages. This reduced both weight and drag and allowed the installation of a streamlined auxiliary fuel tank under the fuselage which increased their range still further.

5. Are there any remaining examples of this plane? (if there is, where are they?)

There are two examples: one is at the National Museum of Naval Aviation
in Pensacola Florida, The other is at the smithsonian institution. By the way, four of the aircraft rest at 1,650 feet below the surface of the sea in the wreck of the airship, USS Macon, off the coast of california.

http://aeroweb.brooklyn.cuny.edu/specs/curtiss/f9c-2.htm

and heres a link to the naval aviation museums page with the fighter. Hope you won your bet Guy. :D

We will have our next group of question ready to go next monday, 28, 2004. Sorry if you guys missed this weeks questions, but i have been up to my armpits in martians. :coffee:

This weeks odd military triva subjects: Ruses

This weeks odd military subjects is ruses.

The militarys of all countrys are famous for making ruses, or deception, in performing those great defeats of enemys force: Today, we will have five classic odd ruses from military history to find. Each answer will be worth 10 milbucks, for a total of 50 milbucks.

However, you wont need to answer all the questions to get the bucks. First person with the correct answer to the question, gets the money. So you can get it all or a part this time. Good luck!

1. In what is probaly historys most famous ruse, the Greeks did what to conquer a city holding a lady whose beauty could launch a 1000 ships? 10 bucks to nil!

2. In World War I, German submarines faced a floating Ruse that sometime resulted in their demise. What were these floating ruses called?

3. A british "major" by the name of Martin participated in a great ruse against Germany. What did this man do?

4. Vasilli Zaitsev in the Book Enemy at the Gates supposedly had a sniper duel with a German officer ( its not verified, but it is a great story). IN THE BOOK, what ruse does Vasilli use to get the German Major sniper to reveal his position? ( If I get the answer from the movie, I'm going to scream).

5. In the movie made titled Beau Geste, The French Foreign Leigoners in the fort try a desperate ruse to keep the desert invaders from attacking the fort. What ruse do they employ?

Again Good Luck.

l

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back