Odd Military Trivia

Status
Not open for further replies.
1). USS Seawolf (SS-197) No. Seawolf was lost in action. No record exists of her recovery and re-use by the japanese.

I will release one hint at 1200 hours, CST , June 2, 2004, if no one has found the answers by then. The payment will then drop to 25 milbucks.

I did mention this was odd military trivia, didnt I? :D

good point. In which case, the Seawolf wouldnt be the answer, because I would have never found it.

However, this ship was found. It did exist. Try thinking outside the box on this one.

like I said: 1200 hours CST, a hint will go up, and the payment comes down.

:D

1-Uss Stewart(DD-224)
2-Patrol Boat #102 or PB-102
3-discovered in Kure/Hiroshima harbour
4-On 28 October 1945 she was taken over by a US Navy prize crew and on the following day she was officially recommissioned into the United States Navy as the USS DD-224, with no other name although she soon became nicknamed the “USS RAMP”, an acronym for “Recovered Allied Military Personnel”.

5-deep waters off San Francisco

we have a winner..Marksman got them all right for 50 milbucks!

The next question will be posted on monday, 7 June 2004, at 1200 CST!

Till then :D

My Apologies. This Trivia session is late, but please bear with me. Due to the lateness, the 50 Milbuck payoff will be stretched to Thursday, 10 June 2004.

For 50 Milbucks, Here is the question. It is in five parts. You must answer all five questions to claim the Milbucks.

Question Scenario. It is Sunday, in the Hawaiian Islands. Suddenly, the event happens. Six ships are sunk. Many more are damaged. Hundreds of people are killed, or wounded.

1. Where is the event? (I need the exact location).

2. When did it happen (The exact date, month and year)?

3. Who did it? (Who perpetrated this evil deed?)

4. What sank the ships?

5. Why did it happen? (Ultimate cause only)

Remember that this is odd wartime trivia. Good luck. :D

1 Attack on pearl harbour
2 8 december 1941
3 Japanese empire
4 Airplane assaults and mini subs
5 japs were alied with germans and wanted the islands in pacific(not sure about this one)

Marksman said:
1 Attack on pearl harbour
2 8 december 1941
3 Japanese empire
4 Airplane assaults and mini subs
5 japs were alied with germans and wanted the islands in pacific(not sure about this one)
Nope, there were more ships sunk at pearl harbour, too easy ;)

1217 follow your instincts. Its Odd Military Triva. If it seems too easy, then you are probly right.

Marksman:

1. partial credit
2. Incorrect
3. Incorrect
4. Incorrect
5. Incorrect

Keep trying.

Mark Conley said:
1217 follow your instincts. Its Odd Military Triva. If it seems too easy, then you are probly right.
I followed them, and my instincts tell me I don't know the correct answer... But I'll try later, don't have time now.

1.West Loch at Pearl Harbor, Hawaii.
2.May 21, 1944.
3.It was an exident, while ammunitoin was being loaded on cargo ships...No one "did it".
4. The ammo on the ships exploaded and they sank.
5."Two major reasons have emerged as to the possible cause: the initial explosion was caused by gasoline vapor, or one or more mortar shells exploded while being handled."

Hope these are correct....

Well sherman got it..all right. 50 bucks to the sherman

Question Scenario. It is Sunday, in the Hawaiian Islands. Suddenly, the event happens. Six ships are sunk. Many more are damaged. Hundreds of people are killed, or wounded.

1. Where is the event? (I need the exact location). Pearl harbor, Hawaiian Islands, West loch

2. When did it happen (The exact date, month and year)? 21 May, 1944. It was a sunday, too.

3. Who did it? (Who perpetrated this evil deed?) Yes it was the US. An accident during the loading of the LSTs.

4. What sank the ships? Its called a sympathetic detonation. One ship exploded, causing the remaining ships moored to them to detonate too. its all that ammo, fuel, and other things that went boom that was being loaded for the Invasion of Saipan.

5. Why did it happen? (Ultimate cause only). At first it was thought that it was sabotage! Then in the end, it was during the loading of individual mortar shell, with the possible dropping of one shell, that caused the whole mess.

The Navy in order to prevent morale from being effected back home, hushed up the incident. It wasnt untill recently that the story came out.

I have got to make these questions harder... :D

Ok lets go with a 25 point toss up question... it deals with the word, decimate.

it originated with the roman leigon. If a cohort or legion mutinied, it was decimated, that is, the soldier standing in the first rank in the first file picked a number from one through ten out of a helmet, and the count off continued from that number. When the count off came to “ten” (decem in Latin), that soldier was executed, as was every tenth man after him; the other nine tenths got the message.

Question: When was the last time this method was used for any type of military group? Give the war, the date range, and the reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back