OCTOBER 1973 WAR (YUM KIPPUR)- AN EGYPTIAN VICTORY

egypt did well until it decided to move beyond their SAM protection. then their armor got demolished. sadat's generals urged him not to advance but i guess he got caught up in the war.

its funny and amazing that the arab armies armed to the teeth with the latest soviet equipment couldnt defeat us jews.

jew power!

george, you have to see a difference between the people and their governments. In particular in non-democratic countries like the Arab/Muslim countries...

That's what I was told everytime. And I believe it.

There is a lot of trouble between Algeria and its neighbor Morroco. But if you meet a Morrocan and an Algerian, they behave like friends/brothers.

Governments are jokes... And this is more obvious in Arab countries.

Some people in north Africa told me that the Arab armies are just good enough to win a battle against the people they are supposed to protect ^^ They are made to protect the local governments, not to win battles against the enemy.

I think that the resistance of the population to an invader is the best weapon they got...

They got the Sinai Peninsula back, so yes, strategically, politically, and frankly, economically (great place for tourism), the Egyptians won.

Militarily, however, when the war had ended due to international pressure, IDF forces were halfway to Cairo, the Egyptian 1st and 2nd Armies were on the verge of collapse, and the 3rd was encircled, which is a hell lot worse.

Uhhhm

beside we can say from the military point of view israel won this war (they didnt lose any captured territory, drove back the attaacking forces) it was a political victory as well. It was, again, israel fighting off a arab agression.
Don#t get me wrong here, I don't even try to judge who is "wrong" or "right" here. But this is how the people, atleast in my country, Germany, did see it. Atleast the majority.
So, despite the Egyptians fought a formidable fight, military and political this seems (to me) is an Israel victory.

egypt did well until it decided to move beyond their SAM protection. then their armor got demolished. sadat's generals urged him not to advance but i guess he got caught up in the war.

its funny and amazing that the arab armies armed to the teeth with the latest soviet equipment couldnt defeat us jews.

jew power!

OK I'll explain couple of thing
They had problems with russian technics .. the Lorries wouldn't start in this temperatures ... as same the tanks are not really designed for this terrain ... T-72 designed for mud and things like this ... and here we have a rocks terrain ... don't know about the aviation I think it is poor trained pilots ... T-72 and Russian heavy technics were not equiped with air conditioners so the heat inside the tanks and heavy technics were undamnational* and again poor trained teams , bad intelegence Egyptian artillery mostly fired an empty places If they had an normal intelegence and the artilery was fired at Israelis bunkers and objects I think the picture was different...

by the other side they attacked us surprisely when the army is weakest (yom kipur day) (actually israeli knew about possible threats , but they couldn't belive Egypt will attack because of euphoria of six days war, and they also thought that Egypt is weak in these days).

first hours of war were desaster to Israel many tanks were shot down many ppl died... just after a total mobilization Israel reabilitate to this war
and kicked some asses..

In the north side of Isral (siriyan invasion) 1 Israely tank stoped a column of tanks I still amazed of this!!

*damnation or passion and don't know which word to use
sorry my poor english.

LOL! i'm sorry but where did you see T-72's during the yom kipur war?

LOL I didn't see them I wasn't born yet )))

YES I gess I mistook it was T-55 T-62 sorry
But the same point nevermind what tanks they used... No russian tanks designed to such terrain and no one equiped with air conditioneer

and yes Egyptian kicked our parratroopers at chineese village.

Last edited:
LOL I didn't wasn't born yet )))

YES I gess I mistook it was T-55 T-62 sorry
But the same point nevermind what tanks they used... No russian tanks designed to such terrain and no one equiped with air conditioneer

and yes Egyptian kicked our parratroopers at chineese village.

The russians, or soviets, never sold their state of the art technice anywhere, with one extemtion, the GDR. So, whatever Israel faced in these wars was NOT the state of the art russian technology and most likely not that well trained personnel as well. Of course u to the Jom Kiur war the IDF wasnt always equiped with the most modern equipment as well. I make this comment rather to the "But our airforce downed that many Migs and disabled that many tanks" guys. Thats like a battle between a well trained dutch or german tanker in a Leo 2 A6 fighting someone lass trained in a 2 A2.

The russians, or soviets, never sold their state of the art technice anywhere, with one extemtion, the GDR. So, whatever Israel faced in these wars was NOT the state of the art russian technology and most likely not that well trained personnel as well. Of course u to the Jom Kiur war the IDF wasnt always equiped with the most modern equipment as well. I make this comment rather to the "But our airforce downed that many Migs and disabled that many tanks" guys. Thats like a battle between a well trained dutch or german tanker in a Leo 2 A6 fighting someone lass trained in a 2 A2.

Israeli faced russian technics
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yom_Kippur_War

"Anwar Sadat in 1972 publicly stated that Egypt was committed to going to war with Israel, and that they were prepared to "sacrifice one million Egyptian soldiers." From the end of 1972, Egypt began a concentrated effort to build up its forces, receiving MiG-21 jet fighters, SA-2, SA-3, SA-6 and SA-7 antiaircraft missiles, T-55 and T-62 tanks, RPG-7 antitank weapons, and the AT-3 Sagger anti-tank guided missile from the Soviet Union and improving its military tactics, based on Soviet battlefield doctrines. Political generals, who had in large part been responsible for the rout in 1967, were replaced with competent ones.[16] "

Just wanted to add that YES Egypt claimed its GOALS! so politically they won !
and they also decreased IDF popularity .

Last edited:
as far as i remember russian tanks preform great in any climate and topographical conditions (that's what the T-s series are famous for since ww2). if we would take T-72 as example, you would find it in half of the middle eastern countries. so claiming that the T's had problems with the climate is not exactly correct. instead of you i would blame the maintains guys (or the lack of them to be precise).apologies for the big lol in the beginning of my post :<

darkgreensoldier666

I'm not going to berate the IDF here, but a mig21 from the first generation is as much different to a leter generation as a Leopard 2 A2 is compared to an A6.
Fact is, with a very few exemtions like the east gearman NVA, the russians never sold their staate of the art equipment, as neither germany or the US do.
And than you need skilled crews. WWII showed us that a skilled crew even with inferior equipment can beat suerior equipment with kess skilled crews, at all fronts.
What I want to oint out is, the arab hardware may not have been as good as it looked on paper.

I'm not going to berate the IDF here, but a mig21 from the first generation is as much different to a leter generation as a Leopard 2 A2 is compared to an A6.
Fact is, with a very few exemtions like the east gearman NVA, the russians never sold their staate of the art equipment, as neither germany or the US do.
And than you need skilled crews. WWII showed us that a skilled crew even with inferior equipment can beat suerior equipment with kess skilled crews, at all fronts.
What I want to oint out is, the arab hardware may not have been as good as it looked on paper.

And ???
Did I say that Egyptian had better techics ?? or did I say that they was better trained ??
I don't understand a connection ?

as far as i remember russian tanks preform great in any climate and topographical conditions (that's what the T-s series are famous for since ww2). if we would take T-72 as example, you would find it in half of the middle eastern countries. so claiming that the T's had problems with the climate is not exactly correct. instead of you i would blame the maintains guys (or the lack of them to be precise).apologies for the big lol in the beginning of my post :<

I told T series has problems with rocks terrain (even russian experts always telling this )
A climate 'engine' problems was with russian trucks ,,, the old model diesels won't ignite (that I heard from a war veteran that took trophied ZIL truck .. they couldn't start it and they couldn't seat there more then half hour cause of heat).

Yes when you expluatating T' tank on rocks its suspension getting wrecked ... so it is a maintenance problems they had...

as you see to day Egypt equiped with American technics

So you mean that IDF was outnumbered by Arab forces in the Yom Kippur war, but the better skilled troops of the first ones allowed to stand the attack?

Yom Kipur was a tank war and in 1973, short of NATO, thre were no better tank crews than the Israeli ones.

As far as hardware it was rather even. If tanks are the issue, than certinly the Arabs had an advantage, on paper. The problem is that the T-62 is infact a rubbish design and was a rubbish design from the get go. "Lo nosea lo poge'a" we say in hebrew- "Dosent drive and dosent hit". The shell casing extraction system on the T-62 is a catastrophy, even with russian tactics and superior numbers. Rubbish fire control....Welll, you get the point.

Don't forget, what the soviets sold to non warsaw pakt countries and even most of their allies) where "export" Versions wich are inferior to the soviet stuff.
AFAIK one, if not THE only, Country that got the original versions was the former GDR.
Wich doesn't mean the T62 had the mentioned problems even in the original version.

Back