OCTOBER 1973 WAR (YUM KIPPUR)- AN EGYPTIAN VICTORY

II tend to think that it was this "evening of the playing field" that eventually led to a more lasting peace.

That has always been my understanding. The long term peace between Egypt, Israel and Jordan has been creditable.

How likely was it that foreign pilots would have been allowed to fly in the Egyptian or Syrian Air Forces during the Yom Kippur War? on this and various other sites i have seen claims for Russians, various East European Soviet clients, Cubans, Chinese, Korean, Pakistani, Sudanese, Morrocan, Libyan, Somali, Iraqi, Palestinian, Afghani, etc, etc.
i just couldn't imagine that the Egyptians or Syrians would have accepted all that many pilots from other nations. perhaps the occasional exchange pilot but hardly whole flights or squadrons. it would be a bit like American or British pilots flying for Israel.

The Egyptian limited war targets were achieved. This is best expressed by Trevor N. Dupuy, Elusive Victory: The Arab-Israeli Wars, 1947–1974 (New York: Harper and Row, 1978), 343. He stated :-

Thus, if war is the employment of military force in support of political objectives, there can be no doubt that in strategic and political terms the Arab States and particularly Egypt - won the war, even though the military outcome was a stalemate permitting both sides to claim military victory.

Even your emphasised quotation of your reference disputes the point of your argument, describing the military outcome as a stalemate which permitted both sides to claim military victory! How many ways do you want it? The political outcome suited Egypt and Israel- a deliberate policy, I'm sure, and we have seen the benefits since.

Last edited:
just couldn't imagine that the Egyptians or Syrians would have accepted all that many pilots from other nations. perhaps the occasional exchange pilot but hardly whole flights or squadrons. it would be a bit like American or British pilots flying for Israel.

No actually whole squadrons were attached. An entire Soviet air defence brigade with its SA-3 launchers and Mig-21 was stationed in Egypt. A Pakistani squadron was based in H-3 in Iraq. North Korean pilots were based in Syria.

The Pakistanis do claim to have shot down 3(not 6) Israeli jets in the 1967 war, a claim that is not denied by the IAF. H-3 is on the last drops of fuel very hard palce to have a dog fight. The Pakistanis are exellent pilots.

NO Syrian front the Israeli victory is undistputed

NO, you did not gain the victory in the Syrian front we was preparing for a big attack in 22 october but because the egyptains accepted the cease-fire we forced to stop the fight kuwait kuwait had sent brigade to syria and iraq sent 3 Division also k.s.a and jordan sent troops to support syrian

Last edited by a moderator:
i think that the Egyptians knew why to accept the cease-fire.
and the Syrians did make some problems to the 188 briage,they actually destroyed it,but saying it had a gret victory?
and that it preapered for great attack along with Kuwiat? i find that a bit imaginary,do u have any documants about that?

Iraq did send 2 divisions as I recall, and Jordan sent the elite 40th Armored Brigade. The Jordanians were placed under Iraqi command and were cut to pieces togather with the incompetent Iraqis. The Iraqi T-62s and T-55s, as well as Jordanian Centurions were destroyed by a force made mostly of reservists on M51 and M50 Shermans.

The Syrian had no victory, they lost most of their heavy armor and gained nothing. It was actually an absolute catastrophy.

These pictures show the Kuwaiti army in the Golan 1973

we also give the financal aid for
purchase the Soviet weapons LOOK AT THIS ...the Kuwaits in the black hats (in the first picture all of them are kuwaitis.... the second with the syrian troops)

21148310820080522.jpg

21148319420080522.jpg

Last edited:
nice pictures, but did your soldiers took part in the fighting or where there only for the pictures?

edit: sherman do i see a panther on his 2nd 1973 picture ?

Last edited:
Well there are many mistakes here... Let's make some order in things...
I don't know what information was spread in Syria, but first, the name of the war is Yom Kippur.
As far as I know, Israelis don't celebrate that war at all.
In fact, they have a memorial day each September.
As for who won, Syria and Egypt went to war in order to demolish and occupy Israel... clearly, they failed.
Israel had concurred the whole Sinai Peninsula (which is about 70% of Israel size!)and got as close as 30 miles to Damascus.
Rumors have it, that Israel was already prepared to occupy Damascus but in order not to humiliate the Syrian nation they haven't done that.
As for Egypt, just after the war, their secretary of defense caught an illness due to his poor mental condition that was caused after the war.
Due to this illness he died out of "broken heart".
Nobody in Egypt believed the failure will be so deep.
Moshe Dayan, Israel's minister of defense became a fearful figure to every Egyptian man.
We'll have to remember that not only Egypt and Syria got their ass kicked, units from Jordan, Morocco and Iraq were sent to fight Israel too, all of them were demolish by the IDF.
In fact, one of the most interesting stories in that war is that an Israeli armor battalion has destroyed all by itself a Jordanian armor brigade.
The occupation of Sinai is known today as one of the most brilliant strategic operation ever to be made.
M.G. Ariel Sharon had caught the Egyptian army with his pants down and since that moment the Arab nation began to hate him.
I can understand the anger and frustration of the Arab nations.
It isn't easy not only to lose but to be humiliated by a military which is about 3 times smaller than yours.
But as you can clearly see, the facts speak for themselves, Israel has won this war.

Well there are many mistakes here... Let's make some order in things...
I don't know what information was spread in Syria, but first, the name of the war is Yom Kippur.
As far as I know, Israelis don't celebrate that war at all.
In fact, they have a memorial day each September.
As for who won, Syria and Egypt went to war in order to demolish and occupy Israel... clearly, they failed.
Israel had concurred the whole Sinai Peninsula (which is about 70% of Israel size!)and got as close as 30 miles to Damascus.
Rumors have it, that Israel was already prepared to occupy Damascus but in order not to humiliate the Syrian nation they haven't done that.
As for Egypt, just after the war, their secretary of defense caught an illness due to his poor mental condition that was caused after the war.
Due to this illness he died out of "broken heart".
Nobody in Egypt believed the failure will be so deep.
Moshe Dayan, Israel's minister of defense became a fearful figure to every Egyptian man.
We'll have to remember that not only Egypt and Syria got their ass kicked, units from Jordan, Morocco and Iraq were sent to fight Israel too, all of them were demolish by the IDF.
In fact, one of the most interesting stories in that war is that an Israeli armor battalion has destroyed all by itself a Jordanian armor brigade.
The occupation of Sinai is known today as one of the most brilliant strategic operation ever to be made.
M.G. Ariel Sharon had caught the Egyptian army with his pants down and since that moment the Arab nation began to hate him.
I can understand the anger and frustration of the Arab nations.
It isn't easy not only to lose but to be humiliated by a military which is about 3 times smaller than yours.
But as you can clearly see, the facts speak for themselves, Israel has won this war.

LOL. I find it funny that you are "correcting" us when your post is infact mixed information about 2 diffrent wars:) You mixed up 1967 and 1973 and made a big salad out of both of them. Next time make sure you are correct before correcting other users.

Last edited:
All of them had been returned to the home :peace:

see this picture..
the Kuwaiti army (celebrations of the
:2guns:(victory in the war of October
24043367d5a227871dc16c5deea0c61f772fe64.gif

Sherman edit: You have to learn how to post in a polite way. You are not doing your cause much good this way.

PS. sherman can u plz show when did the guy went wrong for the sake of the 2 wars?

Last edited by a moderator:
PS. sherman can u plz show when did the guy went wrong for the sake of the 2 wars?

Certinly.

Syria and Egypt went to war in order to demolish and occupy Israel

That has been proven wrong by countless studies, including many Israeli ones. At least if he is refering to 1973.

Israel took Sinai in 1967 not 1973.

In fact Israeli north command was very very worn down by the fighting, and in no shape to take a city the size of Damascus. The war stopped beause Israel was under pressure from the USSR and the USA.

Thats 1967.

Again, 1967. And really, it was what Israelis were saying, im not sure most Egyptians in the 1960s had any idea what Dayan looked like, or he was.

I am not sure where this comes from. The only Jordanian brigade in 1973 was the 40th armor brigade that was attached to the Iraqis, It did loose about 30% of its vehicles as i recall, but it was not "destroyed".

Also 1967. In 1973 Sharons actions are to this day unclear. Some say he was a genious, some say he was acting too hastely. He certinly did not catch any one with their pants off, infact the first counter offensive by the Sharon Division failed.

Israel on the third day of war started to deploy it's WMD's in plain view so as US could see.This forced Nixon to start a massive US airlift (operation Nickel Grass) at a cost of a billion Tax dollars.This allowed Israel to commit it's reserves.

Source? What is "in plain view"? How do you deploy a air dropped nuclear dvice(Israel had no ballistic missiles to speak of at the time) in plain view?

Back