Occupy DC

--
Occupy DC

February 1st, 2012  
pixiedustboo

Topic: Occupy DC

Occupy DC
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sy38Dt0dXoc&list=UU1yBKRuGpC1tSM73A0ZjYjQ& index=20&feature=plcp"]Occupy DC Protester Tased & Overnight Camping Ban - YouTube[/ame]
February 1st, 2012  
Yossarian

Wait until RT gets a hold of this...
February 1st, 2012  
pixiedustboo

Who is RT?
--
Occupy DC
February 1st, 2012  
Yossarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixiedustboo
Who is RT?

Russian Tv,

About bi monthly they call in interviews with not so well known authors or economist from America predicting the eventual finacial collaspe of this country as a consequence of greed fueled relationships between private mega banks and investment like dealings with Congress...

In short.

And it's cheaper than HBO.
February 1st, 2012  
pixiedustboo

AH! Russian TV, yes, I've heard about them. Quite.
February 2nd, 2012  
rattler

They are not going to get this under control (see my sig) as long as there are so many contradictions unexplained:

For example (one of sooo many): Today (here in Spain) it was published that 90% (!) of the additionally (compared to 2010) spent public (i.e. my tax) money during 2011 was spent to rescue banks in problems.

Now, those same banks (and even more so the ones that make money: Santander announced that after writing off their real estate losses they last year *only* made a profit of 3.000 Million Euros, 30% less than 2010) are not only not helping to solve the crisis we find ourselves in (according to the "markets"), they are part of the problem: They dont hand out loans. And without credits and loan lines even healthy companies with a full order book cannot buy e.g. material to produce, in concsequence make less money and have to set free workers, and in the long run go bankrupt (simplifying a bit here to keep it short).

Why dont the banks that we "rescue" with thousands of millions of Euros hand out loans even if bonity is guaranteed? Simple: They make less profit with a loan (even to a healthy "AAA" company) than with speculations on the financial markets. And as they are obliged (by their share holders) to maximize profits, they feel obliged to direct the money they have elsewhere, but not into the economy.

One of the points the "indignados" of 15M (the name for the movment here in Spain) make is that we need a law change which obliges banks to give out loans in a certain percentage of their gains (30% might be a good start), after all, thats what they were founded for and the original reason of their existence. Alternatively we have to tax the financial speculation revenues to a point where it becomes interesting again to give out a loan at e.g. 4% interest (and this tax income might help getting some off the rescue money back).

Another thing people like me who still pay taxes are getting more and more obsessed with is that the top charges of the banks that failed so dramatically in their speculations that they need our tax Euros to be "rescued" still assign themselves mega salaries: In our new "bad" bank (founded by the government to concentrate all the losses of the other banks to make thier balances black again - and of course paid by our tax money) the top directors have salaries of between 12 and 30 Million Euros *per year* (!), explain this to the simple worker who cannot even decide whether he wants to pay taxes or not (as tax is automatically deducted from his salary before he gets the rest paid out every month).

And so on, and so on, it seems that people bit by bit wake up and realize how they are getting pulled over the table by people they did not even elect, this movement will grow and not go away, I am sure.

FWIW,

Rattler
February 2nd, 2012  
pixiedustboo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rattler
And so on, and so on, it seems that people bit by bit wake up and realize how they are getting pulled over the table by people they did not even elect, this movement will grow and not go away, I am sure.
Rattler, I certainly hope so. I've been following the occupy news from TYT for a while now and I'm pulling for some major changes.
February 2nd, 2012  
pixiedustboo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian
Russian Tv,.
I wanted to double check with Lunatik, but I was right. A few months ago Lunatik had a Skype interview with Russian TV. They were asking him some questions about Turkey's satellite. If I am not mistaken they contacted him to ask about this article and get more information; http://www.trdefence.com/2011/10/19/...s-operational/ . Don't quote me on that though.

(And it just so happens that TR Defence is run by Lunatik.)
February 2nd, 2012  
George

that's the problem with bailouts, instead of liquidating the failed Banks & having the survivors that were more responsible grow, the taxpayer funds the pay, perks & other things that should have gone away with the bankruptcy. There is a need for commercial banks that only do business loans & financial banks that invest in other things, with no cross polinaization & no guarantees for the financial banks. But if the young dupes think they are better off under a noncapitalist system they've been drinking the Kool-Ade too long.
February 3rd, 2012  
Yossarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by George
that's the problem with bailouts, instead of liquidating the failed Banks & having the survivors that were more responsible grow, the taxpayer funds the pay, perks & other things that should have gone away with the bankruptcy. There is a need for commercial banks that only do business loans & financial banks that invest in other things, with no cross polinaization & no guarantees for the financial banks. But if the young dupes think they are better off under a noncapitalist system they've been drinking the Kool-Ade too long.

We don't live in a captialist system anymore, we live in a corporatist economy, they are not the same, and this change started decades ago.