Occupy DC - Page 2




 
--
Occupy DC
 
February 3rd, 2012  
VDKMS
 
Occupy DC
Problem is politics. Politicians are supposed to make laws to regulate business and protect the consumer. I don't know how it is in other countries but in Belgium many (all?) politicians have a seat in big corporations and they do not want to lose their pay so bankruptcy is not an option.

But not all corporations are evil. In Spain the retail store Mercadona pays out a part of the profit to it's employees. Last year each one of them got about $3.000 extra.
February 3rd, 2012  
Yossarian
 
 
Along with societal preceptions of what is wealth, what it means, and what any good citizen is supposed to strive for, a least thats how it seems in the U.S.

As well as the notion of a limitless growth based perception of economics... even in a finite world with more and more people in it everyday.

We are all supposed to want and persue the "American Dream". And sometimes when I ask people why they want certian things (home ownership, a sterotypical marriage, a yard a dog) sometimes they can't even answer.

And you can't really blame them, it's paraded as what is wanted ever since you are born in this country, as what you need to strive for.


Even in the education systems nowa days, which I can really claim from experiance.

Everybody is learning about the hows of society, not the whys anymore.
February 4th, 2012  
George
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian
We don't live in a captialist system anymore, we live in a corporatist economy, they are not the same, and this change started decades ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VDKMS
Problem is politics. Politicians are supposed to make laws to regulate business and protect the consumer. I don't know how it is in other countries but in Belgium many (all?) politicians have a seat in big corporations and they do not want to lose their pay so bankruptcy is not an option.

But not all corporations are evil. In Spain the retail store Mercadona pays out a part of the profit to it's employees. Last year each one of them got about $3.000 extra.
We have unfortunatly a highly distorted system That is getting way to close to socialism than is good for it. Not advocating a return to Lazie Faire(sp?) persay but the best would be simular to the traffic police, the Lsaws are set & the Cops generally stay in the background unless someone really screws up. The free market typically is best @ determing what will work, vs command decisions by Govt. the Obama decision that "Green" is the future & his attempts to force it are a total failure. No politician in high govt Office should be allowed positions in private companies. Paying/not paying a bonus does/doesn't determine weather a compny is "Evil" or not. In the case of Chrysler & GM Obama not only bailed them out but he violated Contract Law ripping off the bond holders(secured creditors) & then giving control to the Unions(unsecured debt holders) a socialist maneuver. the bailout so far has cost taxpayers billions in losses.
--
Occupy DC
February 11th, 2012  
-- Dusty
 
 

Topic: Food for thought....


[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XthgjOms9jA&list=FLBEN6wJWQZXb-7dgOJGp9Tg&feature=mh_lolz"]OccupyTimeSquare - Marine Vs. the Cops FULL VERSION - YouTube[/ame]
February 11th, 2012  
rattler
 
 
Yessir!

Sgt. Shamar Thomas, you are the stuff!



Rattler



EDIT: Interesting interview with him:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5_dZez-OTw"]Olbermann interviews marine veteran who shamed police - Sgt Shamar Thomas - Occupy Wall Street - YouTube[/ame]
February 12th, 2012  
Yossarian
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rattler
Yessir!

Sgt. Shamar Thomas, you are the stuff!



Rattler



EDIT: Interesting interview with him:

Olbermann interviews marine veteran who shamed police - Sgt Shamar Thomas - Occupy Wall Street - YouTube

This is why I carry one of my most valued gifts around with me everywhere I go.

A pocket Constitution.

Everybody in America screams that they know their rights.

But to read them and know how to apply them is another thing, I believe that if any movement in this country is to succeed, then they should learn this truth and apply it, for if they don't understand how to,then they will have them walked all over.

And honestly I would not mind seeing this movement get some real cohesive goals and momentum. As long as it remains on the whole non voilent.
February 12th, 2012  
senojekips
 
 
Ooooh,.... I can feel the disapproving stares of the extreme right wing members here.

All of you Commies and socialists who believe this stuff,... Ooooh,... not good, not good at all,.... what's going on here, are we all turning into mad bombers and anarchists?

No doubt your names are all being scribbled in little black books somewhere, the "spooks" will be steaming open your mail as I speak.

How dare you tell the Big End of town that they've got it wrong,...

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDKMS
Problem is politics. .
Politics is only a problem so long as there are people who propagate the problems, because they won't dare speak out against the things they know are wrong. People who are too scared of being accused of being Commos and socialists and any of a dozen other derogatory terms used with no other reason than to stop people telling the truth.
February 12th, 2012  
Yossarian
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by senojekips
Ooooh,.... I can feel the disapproving stares of the extreme right wing members here.

All of you Commies and socialists who believe this stuff,... Ooooh,... not good, not good at all,.... what's going on here, are we all turning into mad bombers and anarchists?

No doubt your names are all being scribbled in little black books somewhere, the "spooks" will be steaming open your mail as I speak.

How dare you tell the Big End of town that they've got it wrong,...
Principle can transcend party lines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by senojekips

Politics is only a problem so long as there are people who propagate the problems, because they won't dare speak out against the things they know are wrong. People who are too scared of being accused of being Commos and socialists and any of a dozen other derogatory terms used with no other reason than to stop people telling the truth.
I agree to a solid point you have, It does annoy me to no end when I hear someone use the Socialist word or the dread "C" word (Commie) when they attempt to grab a term that they don't understand,.... to describe something they don't know why they don't like, for a reason they also don't understand....

You may not like apples but calling it an orange won't turn it into one.

Lastly I adore the peaceful practice of our rights as citizens, don't care if it's for better working conditions or gay marriage, I may not support every assembly but to see that people still exercise their rights even indirectly still shows support for the Constituition.
February 12th, 2012  
rattler
 
 
When in Germany I discussed with (Neo)Nazis I always told them that I had served with a purpose, and consciously so: That they could say what they thought freely, even if they were working to abolish our constitution that I defended (I am from that generation after WWII where we - through the lessons learned by our parents the hard way - define our patriotism not through the nation but through the - our German - constitution: *My* "patria" has been and is the constituiton).

Now, with the 15M/occupy movment it seems they do it the other way round, and I must say even if those guys are far right, as long as they (in this case in the US of A) defend their constitution they got my placet and support from this angle.

Interesting (and unthinkable in Europe), also interesting one thing he says in particular (refering to Mexico): "We should work with our neighbours, and not against them".

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkE3GnsLF0w"]Occupy Phoenix Veterans with AR 15s keeping the Occupation safe - YouTube[/ame]

Rattler
 


Similar Topics
Retrosexuals Movement!
"Tommy's Dictionary Of The Trenches" WWI
Men are like...
A drink a day is the best medicine for men
Patton's Speech