Obliterating Islamic State (ISIS)

An opinion piece of mine about returning ISIS fighters that featured in the NATO Canada
http://natoassociation.ca/opinion-returning-isis-foreign-fighters-what-needs-to-be-done/

I am more a fan of not letting them back at all, these are people that volunteered to join ISIS they weren't press ganged into it.

They were happy to rape and murder their way through the middle East and they showed literally no mercy to anyone that fell into their hands and had they still been winning I highly doubt they would mulling over how to repatriate prisoners now.

As for those who advocate bringing them back and sticking them in prison does anyone seriously think they won't be attempting to spread the message in jail?

I am more a fan of not letting them back at all, these are people that volunteered to join ISIS they weren't press ganged into it.

They were happy to rape and murder their way through the middle East and they showed literally no mercy to anyone that fell into their hands and had they still been winning I highly doubt they would mulling over how to repatriate prisoners now.

As for those who advocate bringing them back and sticking them in prison does anyone seriously think they won't be attempting to spread the message in jail?

I agree. They decided to join the ISIS and now they can take the consequences of it. Much better if they silently "disappeared" in the deserts of Iraq and Syria.

I agree. They decided to join the ISIS and now they can take the consequences of it. Much better if they silently "disappeared" in the deserts of Iraq and Syria.
My understanding is that those captured in Iraq are given a quick trial & a quick hanging.

I understand that it is their choice to join ISIS; however, we should first and foremost prioritize the prevention of future radicalization by working to transform refugee camps and detention centres in Iraq, Syria and and Turkey into rehabilitation centres and give moderate Muslims a bigger responsibility and leadership power to deal with the proportionally small percentage of the population that embraces violent extremism. Taken together, terrorism, in my opinion, is a byproduct of income inequality, poverty, and social injustices. That's why we call it asymmetric warfare.

I understand that it is their choice to join ISIS; however, we should first and foremost prioritize the prevention of future radicalization by working to transform refugee camps and detention centres in Iraq, Syria and and Turkey into rehabilitation centres and give moderate Muslims a bigger responsibility and leadership power to deal with the proportionally small percentage of the population that embraces violent extremism. Taken together, terrorism, in my opinion, is a byproduct of income inequality, poverty, and social injustices. That's why we call it asymmetric warfare.

I tend to work on the idea that both systems are needed to fight extremism.
1. Moderates need to step up and lead people away from extremes.
2. Security forces need to be able to respond in a way that removes those who haven't been swayed away from posing a threat to the general populace (or in layman's terms extremists simply need to be exterminated).

There is no single answer to terrorism the solution will come from many actions both peaceful and brutal.

I am very skeptical to if the deradicalization really works. It can work if the recipient of such treatment wants it, but I doubt they want to change their perceptions. Something we need to keep in mind is where the foreign ISIS fighters were radicalized. There are probably others sharing the ISIS ideology without going to Syria or Iraq.

The Islamic world needs to go through something similar as the enlightenment. However, there is one group of people that is growing faster than all religions. The atheists. The people who don't believe in absurdities.

Last edited:
I am very skeptical to if the deradicalization really works. It can work if the recipient of such treatment wants it, but I doubt they want to change their perceptions. Something we need to keep in mind is where the foreign ISIS fighters were radicalized. There are probably others sharing the ISIS ideology without going to Syria or Iraq.

The Islamic world needs to go through something similar as the enlightenment. However, there is one group of people that is growing faster than all religions. The atheists. The people who don't believe in absurdities.

Hehe last census NZ recorded 46% with no religious affiliation and the largest group was "no religion" at 35% the next largest group was Protestant at 19%.
😊

I am not sure Islam needs an enlightenment period as it has had many of them in the past the problem to me seems to be the despotic nature of many Islamic countries that leads to extremism.

Hehe last census NZ recorded 46% with no religious affiliation and the largest group was "no religion" at 35% the next largest group was Protestant at 19%.
😊

I am not sure Islam needs an enlightenment period as it has had many of them in the past the problem to me seems to be the despotic nature of many Islamic countries that leads to extremism.

Totalitarian states are basically unstable when they are based on fear. When the fear disappears, it can be a violent reaction. Corruption is also an issue. I ponder if these countries were much more secular, should we see the same thing?

I won't begin to taking this thread off topic with continuing about atheism

Back