no 10 76.92%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

--
Is it an obligation?

February 4th, 2006  
localgrizzly

Topic: Is it an obligation?

Is it an obligation?
I was reared to believe that every American man has a six year military obligation. That service to our country is not an option, but an obligation of citizenship.

do you agree?
February 4th, 2006  
phoenix80

six years or four years?
February 4th, 2006  
FutureDevilDog

To me It feels like an obligation to serve this great country, but it's not legally. Oh and it's 4 not 6 years.
--
Is it an obligation?
February 5th, 2006  
rotc boy

I voted no, but i believe that all those war protestors should have some military experience before they go saying shit about our troops
February 5th, 2006  
localgrizzly

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureDevilDog
To me It feels like an obligation to serve this great country, but it's not legally. Oh and it's 4 not 6 years.
Perhaps today. When I went in, it was considred 6 years. 4 years active duty and 2 years inactive reserve, or 3 years active duty and 3 years inactive reserve. Draftees did 2 years active duty, and 4 years active reserve.

And you're right, it's never been a legal obligation, but I was referring to a moral obligation.
February 5th, 2006  
Missileer

Quote:
Originally Posted by localgrizzly
Perhaps today. When I went in, it was considred 6 years. 4 years active duty and 2 years inactive reserve, or 3 years active duty and 3 years inactive reserve. Draftees did 2 years active duty, and 4 years active reserve.

And you're right, it's never been a legal obligation, but I was referring to a moral obligation.
Same as when I went in. I spent three active and after that I was transferred to the Eighth Army Reinforcement Group for three years of inactive standby reserve.
February 7th, 2006  
FutureDevilDog

Oh ok I thought it was just 4 years.
February 7th, 2006  
Damien435

For the Army it is eight years total. If you join on a three year enlistment then you are IRR for five years, four year enlistment then four years in IRR. Or if you join the delayed entry program then one year DEP, three or four years active duty, four or five years IRR.

I think there should be a draft because IMO a lot of problems with today's youth could be fixed by your average drill sergeant.
February 7th, 2006  
Chief Bones

If the question is "Should it be a moral obligation to serve your country for a finite amout of time?", then I would answer YES.

If the question is "Is there an obligation to serve our country?". then the answer is NO.

Citizenship is something which most Americans take for granted - however - as the veteren members of this forum know with absolute certainty, freedom has a price. The price has been paid by past and present warriors everytime they set foot in a combat zone to carry out the orders of their superiors and that price was usually tendered by the blood of our military members.

Will there ever be a time when the moral obligation becomes a legal reality - I CAN'T REALLY SEE IT HAPPENING.
February 7th, 2006  
bulldogg

It should be an obligation. Freedom isn't free and the cost should be carried by more than just those from the lower rungs of the socio-economic ladder.