Is it an obligation?

• yes

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • no

Votes: 10 76.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
D435
The real gist to this issue is do we as Americans owe this country more than just lip service for the freedoms that so many Americans take for granted. Day-to-day activities (work and the pursuit of happiness), does have a price ... it was paid by the blood of those who shed that blood to make this country the great country it has become ... it continues to be shed by those that answered the call of our nation to serve in an all volunteer military.

As we travel into this new century, the question will be continue to be asked ... should we make public service to our country mandatory for our citizens? Should we put our actions where our mouth are?

As the haves and the have-nots move further and further apart, more and more people are going to be classed in the lowest strata of our poorest citizens and this WILL definitely create major problems that WILL NOT have easy answers. One of the best plans/program that have been put forward to answer this disconnect seems to be the Public Service Act ... it would require every man and woman to serve a mandatory 2 years of public service by the age of 25 years of age. It would also carry a penalty for not fulfilling this obligation.

This controversial plan will continue to raise the political temperature of those who debate this plan ... not everyone believes it would be a good plan for this country.

No matter which side of the argument you fall into, this is NOT an argument which will go away.

Chief Bones said:
it was paid by the blood of those who shed that blood to make this country the great country it has become ... it continues to be shed by those that answered the call of our nation to serve in an all volunteer military.

Its a pretty picture you are painting. I like patriots no mather where their from, but do you really belive this is the most important reason for your way of life.... Has the american way of life ever been really threatend (since the revolution/indepence war in 177something)??

And what about FREEDOM, isnt that the most important thing about American culture. Well, America (USA) is the country I have visited (as tourist) where I felt, I was regulated the most. In other words, you guys have MUCH less freedom than the people of for example europe. And you are making my point when you are saying "It would also carry a penalty for not fulfilling this obligation." ....is that your idea of freedom and pursuit of happiness??

Ace said:
Has the american way of life ever been really threatend (since the revolution/indepence war in 177something)??

The War of 1812, Civil War, WWII and the Cold War all threatened the American way of life in addition of the Revolutionary War.

Ace said:
Its a pretty picture you are painting. I like patriots no mather where their from, but do you really belive this is the most important reason for your way of life.... Has the american way of life ever been really threatend (since the revolution/indepence war in 177something)??

And what about FREEDOM, isnt that the most important thing about American culture. Well, America (USA) is the country I have visited (as tourist) where I felt, I was regulated the most. In other words, you guys have MUCH less freedom than the people of for example europe. And you are making my point when you are saying "It would also carry a penalty for not fulfilling this obligation." ....is that your idea of freedom and pursuit of happiness??
:stupid:
Number one, it's not a pretty picture but is one that has to be painted nevertheless.

I don't know exactly which America you visited but you are either guilty of prevarication or you were in the wrong country.

:roll:
The Cooler King said:
The War of 1812, Civil War, WWII and the Cold War all threatened the American way of life in addition of the Revolutionary War.

1812: Agreed

Civil War: The american life wasnt really threatend although USA as we know it geographicly could have been different.. Disagree?

WWII: Do you think Japan (which was the only threat to USA did have ambisions of entering California?) Then kamikaze would have an new deffinition.. :D

Cold War: The soviet union was your main enemy. Have USSR ever attacked any western countries? NO! As a fact USSR freed Norway from the Nazis, and went home. If Im not mistaken USA is still in Germany.... :roll:

My arguments here is half-serious, my point was only that we are talking of the overall american-life/culture. We were occupied in `41-`45 but we didnt loose our culture/way of life... Its a hard nut to crack..

Ace said:
Civil War: The american life wasnt really threatend although USA as we know it geographicly could have been different.. Disagree?
Slavery was abolished as a result of the Civil War. A fellow by the name of Thomas Jefferson had something to say on this. You might have heard of him. "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness."

Ace said:
WWII: Do you think Japan (which was the only threat to USA did have ambisions of entering California?) Then kamikaze would have an new deffinition.. :D
Japan was our only threat? There was a guy in Germany named Hitler (or something like that) that had ambitions to take over the entire world--and he came pretty dang close too.

Ace said:
Cold War: The soviet union was your main enemy. Have USSR ever attacked any western countries? NO! As a fact USSR freed Norway from the Nazis, and went home. If Im not mistaken USA is still in Germany.... :roll:
Two words: nuclear holocaust. If there's no America, there's no American way.

Last edited:
The Cooler King said:
Japan was our only threat? There was a guy in Germany named Hitler (or something like that) that had ambitions to take over the entire world--and he came pretty dang close too.
In europe its actually Russia who are given credit for defeating Hitler, but of course allied forces did an great effort too. But thats another thread...
The cooler King said:
Two words: nuclear holocaust. If there's no America, there's no American way.

Best point yet :cheers:

Are you saying that the Russians would have won without the Allies tying up the Germans in Africa and Italy and later opening up a Western Front?

And if the Americans didn't stop the Japs, no one was going to.

The Cooler King said:
Are you saying that the Russians would have won without the Allies tying up the Germans in Africa and Italy and later opening up a Western Front?

And if the Americans didn't stop the Japs, no one was going to.

No i`am not saying neither of that... :confused:
Take the WW2 discussion to the correct thread befor we get out of line.

Open mouth ... insert foot ...............

Ace said:
In europe its actually Russia who are given credit for defeating Hitler, but of course allied forces did an great effort too. But thats another thread...
+
Best point yet :cheers:
I love your revisionist history lesson ... could you give me your references that definitively state that Hitler was defeated solely because of Russia's efforts to survive the Nazi's onslaught?????

Let's see ... you don't think that the 100's of thousands of Americans, English and other nation's soldiers moving on Berlin and the German homeland had anything to do with Hitler's defeat do you? (or) The defeats that the Germans were suffering in all of the rest of the theaters of war ... on land, sea and in the air ... none of this contributed to the defeat of the German forces did it???

Just remember, when you post on this forum it would be a good idea to get your facts straight and ensure that they are accurate prior to sticking your foot into your mouth. In this instance your foot is in your mouth up to your knee.........

ehm, you might wanna read ALL replys (do some intel) before you ingage into combat...

jet again, this subject belongs to another thread.. youll find all point of views there...

The End

Ace said:
ehm, you might wanna read ALL replys (do some intel) before you ingage into combat...

jet again, this subject belongs to another thread.. youll find all point of views there...

The End
Ace
I read your posts and I still say the very same thing ... remove your foot from your mouth and do a little investigating yourself. In no way did Russia win the war against Hitler by themselves ... there were a whole host of others who contributed to the victory.

So, before you find fault with my post revisit the history books yourself before you try to enjoin combat with those of us who investigate history before we post historical information. Your view on America's history is so completely wrong it is obvious you have not availed yourself of American History books (or) American History internet sites.

In this case us (100) ... you (0).

Ace, come round to my neck of the woods, China, People's Republic of, if you want to feel a palpable loss of freedom.

Back on topic... civil service, military or otherwise should be an obligation.

bulldogg said:
Back on topic... civil service, military or otherwise should be an obligation.

I first wanted to disagree.... but after a second I changed my point of view. During the draft period the Dutch army was way better balanced. People of all layers of society mingled in one green standard issue gear and learned to operate together working on a common goal. We actually had a pretty well functioning group of soldiers.... So yes, it should be an obligation.

rotc boy said:
I voted no, but i believe that all those war protestors should have some military experience before they go saying shit about our troops
Yeah you shouldn't protest against troops but against the government that sends them into war.

I agree with you there Mohmar, the only problem is that those who are protesting disagree with your statement.

Mohmar Deathstrike said:
Surely not ALL of those?
Evidently you don't follow the news very closely ... there's a small vocal group that are protesting our troops and blaming them for the gay situation within and without the military. They seem to show up at just about all of our dead military personnel's funerals ... their protest is as much against the troops as it is against the government and the war.

If you take a look at what is being said at these protests, you will see that they WOULD NOT agree with your statement.

Yeh it sure did free norway, and then it took over eastren europe. And supported the invasions of korea and vietnam. Not to mention Afghanistan.
Or the fact we were in Germany for their protection maybe? At least our side of germany had free and fair elections.

I'm just so confused are you saying that Soviet controlled eastren europe was not being occupied?

If it wasnt for the United States the soviets would rolled through europe like a kid in a candy shop.

Back