objective

zhjsg

i dont know where to put this threat, it seems i should post it here.
have you found that is forum is jammed with the chinese related issue. we also know china is rising its power, so is india. but is it rising too fast in this forum, i can seldom see any india related discuss and the topic that covers china will alway draw lots of eyeballs, and this will always related to human rights, freedom, censor, as well as tibet issue, muslim issue and mongolia issue, which seems to be a universal topic. wont every feel tedious on repeating that kind of topic. or maybe i may start a threat that purely deal with this thing.

i first came to this forum at 1 year ago, and during that time i can really learn a lot of things, including miliary as well as politics. but now, what is left. just some fighting and shouting wars. few have providing the information to surport it.

so i am wondering, can every calm down and be objective. let it be a forum rather than a fighting place.

best wishes to all

zhjsg said:
few have providing the information to surport it.

You may have registered a long time ago, but I don't think you've been paying attention. I think everyone here has been backing up their arguments with credible sources, which is the point of a forum right?

You CAN NOT undo a lifetime of "learning" ...

ASTRALdragon said:
You may have registered a long time ago, but I don't think you've been paying attention. I think everyone here has been backing up their arguments with credible sources, which is the point of a forum right?

ASTRALdragon - you use a fact based argument to try to sway someone who is ONLY able to discuss an issue from an emotional level ... it will NEVER sway them ... they are unable to grasp the essential purpose of the forum as a tool for a disparate group of people to utilize logic to "defend" (or) "lay out" an argument (or) "point of view" about a "hot button" issue.

The other type ... the brainwashed ...
When you find someone who has been this brainwashed, it is a waste of your time to try to sway them ... rote repetition of a lie (or) deception, can NOT be overcome by trying to use logic ... experience is the ONLY thing that can overcome this type of "learning" and even then it takes a long time. You CAN NOT undo a lifetime of "learning" with a moment of logic.

I think the best example of how to express an minority opinion on this board can be found in many of Teds post. While he has an opposing view to the majority of issues on this board he posts things with facts (generally) and does it with respect and without trying to start a flameing war.

ZHJSG, you and YingYing are quite capable of carrying out an argument. Now most people think an argument is fighting when in fact it is intellectual exercise. You present your opinion and are able to source it, ie provide references, and then others do the same. Nothing is black and white and truth is subjective and based highly upon the perspective from which someone views an issue.

I live in China. I work here and as such it is a topic I feel strongly about and have a lot of information about. Second if anyone doubts what I claim I can provide third party sources for everything I say even though it is my personal opinion and observations others who have lived and worked and studied here have come to the same conclusions as I. It does not guarantee truth but it does corroborate my points as required by the rules of this forum.

Oftentimes I find that this forum is THE only place right now in which I can engage in healthy debate. Even in Chinese the people I come in contact with are not able or not willing to discuss intellectually the topics I broach here. It is NOT anti-chinese or sino-phobic. In fact I am here of my own free will and in the final analysis there are many good things which I tried to discuss but even that drew fire from Achinese as she is prone to bouts of extreme emotional outbursts. Twice illustrated by calling members highly offensive names for posting an opinion she did not agree with. I've blocked her but still I feel it incumbant to check and make sure she doesnt make any highly suspect claims on some threads as I am in a unique position to be able to counter those with direct personal observations.

I am a forceful person. I am direct and opinionated. That said I am not above criticism and have an open mind for those who can prove their points with facts from credible sources. Case in point my discussion with Corrocota about the ETA. Like I told Ying, don't fear confrontation, embrace it- disagreement is not disrespect.

First of all; thanks for the compliments Rabs, I appreciate it! And being an off-centre minority, civvy group I can understand where the Chinese are coming from. There are a lot of posts lately regarding them and teh issues at hand.
Then again China is making the news very often and everything they do is laid underneath a microscope and magnified hunderdfold.

Last edited by a moderator:
Chief Bones said:
ASTRALdragon - you use a fact based argument to try to sway someone who is ONLY able to discuss an issue from an emotional level ... it will NEVER sway them ... they are unable to grasp the essential purpose of the forum as a tool for a disparate group of people to utilize logic to "defend" (or) "lay out" an argument (or) "point of view" about a "hot button" issue.

The other type ... the brainwashed ...
When you find someone who has been this brainwashed, it is a waste of your time to try to sway them ... rote repetition of a lie (or) deception, can NOT be overcome by trying to use logic ... experience is the ONLY thing that can overcome this type of "learning" and even then it takes a long time. You CAN NOT undo a lifetime of "learning" with a moment of logic.

Aye, I totally get you. It's like arguing science vs. religion; science is seeing is believing whereas religion is believing is seeing. I guess it adds merit to the proverb, "You can't teach an old dog new tricks." You should see my girlfriend and I argue religion; I'm a liberal Catholic and she's a conservative Baptist Christian.

ASTRALdragon said:
You should see my girlfriend and I argue religion; I'm a liberal Catholic and she's a conservative Baptist Christian.

Do these still exist? I thought we killed the lot of them during the 80 years war!! :)

Back