obesity as a disease......BS

Duty Honor Country

Every once and a while the government does something that really pisses me off. Last week, the government classified obesity as a disease and not a condition. This will allow anyone on medicare to receive government cash for treatment. The estimated cost of this new classification will run into billions.

First off, you just don't develop obesity like diseases. Americans are fat because of lack of exercise and a horrible diet. Yes it is true, America does not exercise. If we were an exercising society, the streets of the good old USA would be teeming with walkers, bikers, runners and gyms would be packed. I bike 5-6 times a week and I can tell you there are very few people out and about. Everyone knows Americans have a horrible diet. All the popular restaurants carry all the wrong foods. You cannot get into great shape eating BK and KFC 5 times a week.

I must ask what is the benefit of this for fit Americans. We spend hundreds of dollars to get and stay into shape. Since we are in better health, the government and insurance companies will spend less on our health bills. Our reward for being in shape is to foot the bill for those who do not have enough discipline to get into shape.

I know I am mad...Is anyone else mad about this?

i couldnt have said that better myself. Low carb diets are bs in my opinion. Who ever heard of a hambuger without the buns? Thats just high in protein and cholesterol, not very healthy at all. We Americans need to exercise more.

FutureRANGER said:
I think the government needs to do just to opposite, create a deterence for obese people. Like higher taxes.
that would give them more money and less ppl would be obese, but then think of all the protests and what the media would say.

Oh, who gives a :cen: about what the media thinks. This has got to be one of the stupidest things I have heard in a while. People just need to get up and exercise. Then healthcare costs will go down, and there will be less obese people. I say Bowflex's for everyone!!!

Yes, I'm considered over-weight! Even though I only have like 5% body fat. I'm over the normal BMI by about .9.

Obese, evein when on ACtive Duty.....

I hope they use the BMI as the definition of obese. At 5'10" and 195# while in the Corps, I would be considered overweight even though I was in the best shape of my life. Then I could get Social Security immediately for a medical condition and just go to the gym all day, but seriously, it is a crock of bull :cen: .

I can go to the gym anytime in the day and only three months out of the year is it busy, the three months right before summer. Al all of you have said, we need to get back to biking, running, the daily 7 and all the other basic physical fitness activities that we have let go....I can remember when I had to actually plan and call ahead to get a racket ball court, now we walk right in and get it immediately!!

The government had much better things to do than this....

I think people should WANT to exercise if they're fat. All these magic diet pills ad everything, corck of crap. GET OFF THE COUCH, NEVER GO TO MCDONALDS AND RUN. They're incentive should be themselves.

You're right about BMI, that makes a lot of sense. My doc took mine, It was 18.4. 18.5 is normal, any lower is underweight.

FutureRANGER said:
I think people should WANT to exercise if they're fat. All these magic diet pills ad everything, corck of crap. GET OFF THE COUCH, NEVER GO TO MCDONALDS AND RUN. They're incentive should be themselves.
true but they always give excuses like "i've tried but its too hard" or" i never have any time." Some ppl are just too lazy for there own good and are now gonna get money from the government because of it. What a bunch of bullcrap.

Tax breaks for fat Americans

This will make everyone's day

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/03/01/health/main603233.shtml
"...The Internal Revenue Service allows taxpayers who are forced to spend thousands of dollars because of obesity to deduct expenses for stomach-stapling surgery, approved weight-loss drugs and nutritional counseling.

"At least one arm of the government recognizes the need to reward people for getting in shape," said Linda Webb Carilli, a spokeswoman for Weight Watchers International Inc.

To claim the deduction, a person must itemize. Deductions are allowed for uncompensated expenses for the treatment of an individual, spouse and dependents if the cost is more than 7.5 percent of adjusted gross income, IRS spokeswoman Kris Moore said.

For example, a person with an adjusted gross income of $50,000 would only be able to deduct medical expenses exceeding $3,750....

...The IRS ruling does not define obesity - generally described as excess body fat of 30 pounds or more over ideal body weight, or a body mass index of 30 or more. A doctor's diagnosis is required before the surgery or nutrition counseling costs can be deducted..."

So all you need is a note from your doctor and you can get a nice expensive surgery and write it off on your taxes.

I've had it. These people are missing the :cen: point. If a person kept him/her self in good shape, there would be no need for a $20,000 surgery. The government will give tax incentives for grossly overwieght people. When it comes to people who spend their time and money to be in shape, the government looks the other way.

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh- I am pissed!!!!!!! :firedevi:

Personally, I don't ever want to hear about obesity or overweight again in my life! I had to write a paper on it(Ph.D style) and I find it extremely boring. If you wanna be a fat ass and die early, it's your own damn problem!

I say obiesity is a condition. I mean, you don't need to spend money or buy anything to get better, just start walking around the block. Hello. That's how I lose weight. By the way, this is no offense to anyone out there with a weight problem. There are actually diseases that cause people to gain weight, but what I'm talking about are the people who refuse to live a healthy life when they are able.

Back