Is obese necessarily bad? - Page 3

--
Boots

November 11th, 2004  
Duty Honor Country

it is when my tax dollars goes to the medical bills of obease people.

There are 2 costs that go with being in shape. The cost that you pay to keep yourself in shape and the cost you must pay to the government for those who cannot keep themselves in shape.
November 12th, 2004  
Lil Hulk 1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by egoz
Technically you are obese if your BMI is >30. .
The BMI is a very relative number....while in the Marines at 5'10" and 190 pounds, according to the BMI, I was terribly overweight. Bodyfat measurements are the most accurate way of determining "obese" people. You can have a perfect BMI and still be 25% bodyfat, that is why it is a relative measure. If you are male and can keep you BF% around 15% or lower, the amount of weight you carry is mute.
November 12th, 2004  
CavScout

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishgal
pressure is awful nowadays to be perfect though, it can be very depressing, im now on a 1000 calorie a day diet.

so hungry!

Never go below 1200 calories a day! Your body goes into a starvation mode and will conserve all of the energy(food) it gets. This means your metabolism slows down along with many body functions and can be dangerous. I am not an accredited health professional but I know what I am speaking of. I weighed in at 397lbs 1 year 9months ago and with proper diet, rest, water and exercise have dropped down to 186lbs. I have lost 211lbs and I did it by being smart about my diet and exercise. I have done this in an effort to get back in the military and am physically at the point where I can pass all of the United States Army Physical fitness standards for a 36 year old. You can do it also but you must be persistant and patient. DO NOT go below 1200 calories you can and will hurt yourself. Sorry but when I see folks doing that it drives me nuts. Thank you.
--
Boots
November 13th, 2004  
Missileer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doody
it is when my tax dollars goes to the medical bills of obease people.

There are 2 costs that go with being in shape. The cost that you pay to keep yourself in shape and the cost you must pay to the government for those who cannot keep themselves in shape.
Well put. That's exactly the way I feel about smoking or using tobacco in any form. I did notice, however, that when we put greater emphasis on people stopping smoking, the obesity outlook got a little more grim. When a person quits tobacco, not only is it tough on his/her nerves, but their physiology changes. Weight is gained because of the slowdown in the body's metabolism. Add to that the habit of feeding a craving with chocolate or some other sugar. Oh well, we can't get out of this alive anyhow.
November 14th, 2004  
SleepySweeper

Check out the article at this link:

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cg...L&type=science

It states that: "People with substantial waistlines may run an elevated risk of cognitive decline as they age, scientists reported Tuesday in one of the most ambitious attempts yet to link obesity and mental health. "

Another reason to stay fit if you ask me!
November 14th, 2004  
SHERMAN

As someone who used to be preetey much there, trust me, there is nothing good about it.
November 15th, 2004  
Missileer

Topic: OBESITY

Has anyone heard of the new medication that was originally designed to be a weight loss aid? Now I understand that it also is working to help people stop smoking and, get this, get off drugs. I'm still looking at this silver bullet with some skepticism. Like the old saying goes "if it looks too good to be true.........."
November 15th, 2004  
A Can of Man

Try this one for staying in shape: Self respect.
November 15th, 2004  
Missileer

I have to drink a beer just to keep my britches from falling down. I guess I could use suspenders and keep my self respect too, especially if they don't fall down.
November 15th, 2004  
beardo

Quote:
Originally Posted by egoz
i've been trying to put on weight for the last few months. i've been taking the weight gainers and protein and everything. i'm still not at the weight i want either. another 10lbs and i think i'm good. so i think it works both ways, hard to lose or gain, depending on the person. but i think the motivation to change is the big difference.
I know what you mean

Its just as had for a thin person to put on weight as it is for an obese person to lose it

It just depends on the person

But obesity is bad....lowers your quality of life (i would die if i couldnt run or play footie) and shortens your life....