Obama's Church?

--
Obama's Church?

February 29th, 2008  
DTop

Topic: Obama's Church?

Obama's Church?
Barak Hussein Obama has claimed that he belongs to Chicago's Trinity United Church of Christ. If you go to the church's website and click on the About Us button, it says this:

"We are a congregation which is Unashamedly Black and Unapologetically Christian... Our roots in the Black religious experience and tradition are deep, lasting and permanent. We are an African people, and remain "true to our native land," the mother continent, the cradle of civilization. God has superintended our pilgrimage through the days of slavery, the days of segregation, and the long night of racism. It is God who gives us the strength and courage to continuously address injustice as a people, and as a congregation. We constantly affirm our trust in God through cultural expression of a Black worship service and ministries which address the Black Community.
The Pastor as well as the membership of Trinity United Church of Christ is committed to a 10-point Vision:
  1. A congregation committed to ADORATION.
  2. A congregation preaching SALVATION.
  3. A congregation actively seeking RECONCILIATION.
  4. A congregation with a non-negotiable COMMITMENT TO AFRICA.
  5. A congregation committed to BIBLICAL EDUCATION.
  6. A congregation committed to CULTURAL EDUCATION.
  7. A congregation committed to the HISTORICAL EDUCATION OF AFRICAN PEOPLE IN DIASPORA.
  8. A congregation committed to LIBERATION.
  9. A congregation committed to RESTORATION.
  10. A congregation working towards ECONOMIC PARITY."
Does this sound at all disturbing for a man who wants to be the next President of the United States?

http://www.tucc.org/about.htm
February 29th, 2008  
The Other Guy

When you compare it to the current President, it seems par for the course.
February 29th, 2008  
DTop

That seems like a non sequitur.
--
Obama's Church?
February 29th, 2008  
A Can of Man

He probably got in to get lots of black Christian support.
Doesn't necessarily means he's on board with their message or program. People use Churches to network all the time.
February 29th, 2008  
senojekips

If he's a "Christian",... Yes it worries me.

No man who needs the support of an invisible friend should be put in charge of any country.
February 29th, 2008  
pixiedustboo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTop
Barak Hussein Obama has claimed that he belongs to Chicago's Trinity United Church of Christ. If you go to the church's website and click on the About Us button, it says this:

"We are a congregation which is Unashamedly Black and Unapologetically Christian... Our roots in the Black religious experience and tradition are deep, lasting and permanent. We are an African people, and remain "true to our native land," the mother continent, the cradle of civilization. God has superintended our pilgrimage through the days of slavery, the days of segregation, and the long night of racism. It is God who gives us the strength and courage to continuously address injustice as a people, and as a congregation. We constantly affirm our trust in God through cultural expression of a Black worship service and ministries which address the Black Community.
The Pastor as well as the membership of Trinity United Church of Christ is committed to a 10-point Vision:
  1. A congregation committed to ADORATION.
  2. A congregation preaching SALVATION.
  3. A congregation actively seeking RECONCILIATION.
  4. A congregation with a non-negotiable COMMITMENT TO AFRICA.
  5. A congregation committed to BIBLICAL EDUCATION.
  6. A congregation committed to CULTURAL EDUCATION.
  7. A congregation committed to the HISTORICAL EDUCATION OF AFRICAN PEOPLE IN DIASPORA.
  8. A congregation committed to LIBERATION.
  9. A congregation committed to RESTORATION.
  10. A congregation working towards ECONOMIC PARITY."
Does this sound at all disturbing for a man who wants to be the next President of the United States?

http://www.tucc.org/about.htm
Total B.S. I certainly don't want anyone running anything if they are a member of a church like this. Very cult-like and racist in my opinion.

This is racism. I wonder how it would be taken if we (white folks) supported a white group like this...oh wait, we do have that, it's called the KKK. Same mentality, just a different skin pigment.

P.S. If they [the church] like Africa so much why don't they just go on back to it, this isn't Africa, this is the United States, and everyone's loyalty who lives here should be to this ground. (i.e. #4)
February 29th, 2008  
MontyB

Quote:
Originally Posted by senojekips
If he's a "Christian",... Yes it worries me.

No man who needs the support of an invisible friend should be put in charge of any country.
I agree but lets face it the religious vote is a big thing for the yanks where as in this part of the world it is considered a fringe element that no one want to court (Exclusive Bretheren for example).

I am intrigued to see the "colour" card being played this early though, lets face it remove the words Africa and Black from the text and it sounds like every other church on the face of the planet.
February 29th, 2008  
doc

yea this is basically just as racist as it would be if hillary threw a white hood on and lit up a cross...

Besides him not saluting the american flag This is yet another reason Id never want him as president.
February 29th, 2008  
A Can of Man

Send a message: Go back to Africa.
Didn't his wife say something like she never felt good about the United States until her husband became a serious candidate for president?
February 29th, 2008  
mmarsh

I Don't quite understand the problem, this is hardly anything new.

Trinity United Church of Christ is a Catholic church. The church is preaching a kinship with its original community roots, in this case with Africa. Its no different than St Paul Cathedral in Manhattan (the HQ of American Catholicism) which has a special relationship with the Republic of Ireland or the other Catholic Churches in Queens NYC, in Providence Mass (suburb of Boston), of Chicago that have special relations to Italy, the Anglican Church which is part of the Church of England, or the Orthodox churches which are deeply rooted in Eastern European Oligarchies.

Are we going to tell these people to go back to Ireland, Italy, or Russia?

This is no big deal, in fact its considerably better than the current situation. Would be a problem is if he started to push religious doctrine as a matter of US state policy. Bush for example is a Born Again Christian who has pushed the boundaries of the separation between church and state. I mean he is preaching abstinence in Africa, he is against condoms, he has pressured the FDA to delay/ban the morning after pill (despite the fact of its proven record), he has allowed for faith based organizations to receive Federal aid.

I am voting for a US President, I don't care if he is religious or not, just as long as he realizes that preaching gospel is not what we elected him for. Thats why someone like Huckabee is so dangerous. I don't want to live in a Christian version of Iran.