Obama Worries Liberals - Page 4




 
--
Boots
 
December 19th, 2008  
HokieMSG
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmarsh
The majority of Congress is on Obama's side, DTOP. He has a very large majority in the House and just needs a single GOP vote or two (depending on the MN recount) to be filibuster proof. He is going to pass his agenda no matter what the GOP does. So he wont be alienating anyone, as a matter of fact I suspect most GOP will be trying to make a deal, rather than obstruct him.

As for a President acting outside the law, how about starting with the one we are currently stuck with. I don't think it would be in the GOP best interest right now to criticize the legality of a presidents actions, Bush has broken new ground on that score.

Sniping is one thing, but attempting to bring down the government on some BS witch hunt that did more harm to the country than good is quite something else. Remember the Dems did NOT go after Bush's job, and there was far more grounds to impeach Bush then there was to impeach Clinton.
I understand the GOP didn't like Clinton, personally or as president. But they had no right to launch a public persecution of him. Clinton wasn't born into office, it was the American people that elected him, and what they did was just short of a coup d'etat and it was for POLITICAL reasons, not because he was grossly abusing the office. Thats a much different scenario than partisan sniping, and it would be wrong if the Dems tried to do the same to Bush.

I do agree that Obama is in for a rough, ride, but I think it will comes from the left whom will demand alot and not the right.
If he tries to jam his agenda through it is likely that the only people he will alienate are the general public.

Come On marsh, admit you hate Bush and will never give him ANY credit.

ARE YOU SERIOUS. Clinton LIED under oath. And the worst part about it was that he got caught red handed. He should have been impeached but since he was the DEM's golden boy they vote their party and didn;t even come close. BTW I could give a damn about what he did with Monica. Not my business, my issue is that he LIED under oath. We should expect a higher standard of conduct from our elected officials PERIOD.
December 19th, 2008  
DTop
 
 
Come on mmarsh, we're talking about PEBO here. You're hatred for anything conservative or Republican or especially Bush clouds your ability to stay on topic.
We're not talking about anyone but Obama, his cabinet appointees and how they may or may not alienate some of his strongest supporters during the election.
December 19th, 2008  
mmarsh
 
 
Hokie

Put yourself in his place. Your're POTUS and you are about to have to tell 8 Billion People that you cheated on your wife. Don't try telling me you wouldn't try and weasel your out of being made a fool of in front of the world. What you are accusing him of is of being Human. I think everyone here would have at least been tempted to do the same. Clinton's error was that he allowed himself to be put in that position, not that he lied. And so he told a small white lie about an affair...big deal. How many people died because of it? Most people in America didn't give a damn, the only ones who cared were the media circus and those on the far-right who were trying to kick him out of office.

But DTOP is correct we are drifting off topic, since that is partly my doing I will attempt to get back on target.

Obama has the Public's view too, over 79% agree with what he is doing. So whatever he chooses to pass will be done with much opposition at least for the next 1-2 years. After that it will be based on his performance. I see no evidence that Obama is losing support amongst his strongest supporters. These accusations of him alienating those in his party, his supporters, etc, are being made by those people who didn't vote for him to begin with. So the gays are unhappy about an evangelical at the ceremony, they will survive. Its a ceramonial role only. Just because they voted for him doesnt mean they get want. And if its gay marriage, they are going to be dissappointed because Obama has already said he opposes it. The gays are a tiny minority. Obama strongest base are middle class working families especially those in the swing states. And what they care about is food on the table, and so far there is no indication that they are upset yet.

DTOP

Let me be clear, Its true I am bias; as you correctly stated I don't like (neo)conservative ideology and that I especially don't like Bush. I also don't like extremists left or right. I don't deny I am bias. But what you said about me while true, equally applies back to you. You have never shown much sympathy to liberals and especially not to the Clinton's, Obama or any other recent leftwing politician. The fact is you and I are nothing more than opposite sides of the same coin.

You are wrong on a single point. I am neither liberal nor a democrat, although I tend to sympathize with them more recently due to recent events. Its not that I don't like Republicans, its that I dont like what Republicans have become. If the GOP would go back to its original centrist platform and not the far right they would find me (and others) much more willing to listen. I haven't voted GOP in Presidential elections for years, but I am still registered a Republican.
--
Boots
December 20th, 2008  
DTop
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmarsh
DTOP

Let me be clear, Its true I am bias; as you correctly stated I don't like (neo)conservative ideology and that I especially don't like Bush. I also don't like extremists left or right. I don't deny I am bias. But what you said about me while true, equally applies back to you. You have never shown much sympathy to liberals and especially not to the Clinton's, Obama or any other recent leftwing politician. The fact is you and I are nothing more than opposite sides of the same coin.

You are wrong on a single point. I am neither liberal nor a democrat, although I tend to sympathize with them more recently due to recent events. Its not that I don't like Republicans, its that I dont like what Republicans have become. If the GOP would go back to its original centrist platform and not the far right they would find me (and others) much more willing to listen. I haven't voted GOP in Presidential elections for years, but I am still registered a Republican.
As I've said before, I wish PEBO no ill. Surprise perhaps, but I'm not a Republican. It has been many years since I've had enough faith in the Demoratic party to vote for it though. I didn't even vote for Regean in his first run for Pres. (I think I wrote my own name on that ballot).
When you say gays will get over their unhappiness, you can say the same about any most but the most extreme factions. We'll all survive whatever comes it's just a matter of whether we'll be happy about it or not. I mean we survived Clinton, Carter, Reagan and Bush didin't we?
You're right, we may very well be two sides of the same coin but since when did that ever stop two New Yorkers?
December 22nd, 2008  
HokieMSG
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmarsh
Hokie

Put yourself in his place. Your're POTUS and you are about to have to tell 8 Billion People that you cheated on your wife. Don't try telling me you wouldn't try and weasel your out of being made a fool of in front of the world. What you are accusing him of is of being Human. I think everyone here would have at least been tempted to do the same. Clinton's error was that he allowed himself to be put in that position, not that he lied. And so he told a small white lie about an affair...big deal. How many people died because of it? Most people in America didn't give a damn, the only ones who cared were the media circus and those on the far-right who were trying to kick him out of office.

But DTOP is correct we are drifting off topic, since that is partly my doing I will attempt to get back on target.

Obama has the Public's view too, over 79% agree with what he is doing. So whatever he chooses to pass will be done with much opposition at least for the next 1-2 years. After that it will be based on his performance. I see no evidence that Obama is losing support amongst his strongest supporters. These accusations of him alienating those in his party, his supporters, etc, are being made by those people who didn't vote for him to begin with. So the gays are unhappy about an evangelical at the ceremony, they will survive. Its a ceramonial role only. Just because they voted for him doesnt mean they get want. And if its gay marriage, they are going to be dissappointed because Obama has already said he opposes it. The gays are a tiny minority. Obama strongest base are middle class working families especially those in the swing states. And what they care about is food on the table, and so far there is no indication that they are upset yet.

DTOP

Let me be clear, Its true I am bias; as you correctly stated I don't like (neo)conservative ideology and that I especially don't like Bush. I also don't like extremists left or right. I don't deny I am bias. But what you said about me while true, equally applies back to you. You have never shown much sympathy to liberals and especially not to the Clinton's, Obama or any other recent leftwing politician. The fact is you and I are nothing more than opposite sides of the same coin.

You are wrong on a single point. I am neither liberal nor a democrat, although I tend to sympathize with them more recently due to recent events. Its not that I don't like Republicans, its that I dont like what Republicans have become. If the GOP would go back to its original centrist platform and not the far right they would find me (and others) much more willing to listen. I haven't voted GOP in Presidential elections for years, but I am still registered a Republican.
marsh. I won;t continue the "discussion off topic".

I'm afraid that you have it all wrong marsh. Republicans were NEVER centrist. The GOP has hijacked the ideas and ideals of the conservative movement. Too many republicans say they are conservative when in fact they are NOT. Conservatism (Regan Rupublicanism) is rooted in some very basic ideas that have far reaching implications. One reason that Regan had such support was that he made Americans proud to be American, he belived in the basic goodness of humanity, he believed that free markets worked, he believed that taxation while necessary only serves to stifle innovation and growth, and he NEVER backed down.

Too many times our politicans worry about what the world thinks. I say tough. We worry about what is good for America and her allies ONLY. If anyone has a problem they can either do something about it, or sit down.

This economic crisis is a perfect example of why America is so important. When we have trouble, so does everyone else.
December 22nd, 2008  
Chukpike
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmarsh
I see no evidence that Obama is losing support amongst his strongest supporters. These accusations of him alienating those in his party, his supporters, etc, are being made by those people who didn't vote for him to begin with. So the gays are unhappy about an evangelical at the ceremony, they will survive. Its a ceramonial role only. Just because they voted for him doesnt mean they get want. And if its gay marriage, they are going to be dissappointed because Obama has already said he opposes it. The gays are a tiny minority.
Obama's official recommendation on Proposition 8 to Ban Gay Marriage in California was to vote NO. (Meaning to allow Gay Marriage) Obama appealed to the homosexual vote on this stance and overwhelming received their support. (And not just in California) So it would be reasonable to expect Obama to listen to their concerns.

He said what the Gay's wanted to hear, so got their support. Now they get to see what their support was worth. So this topic is right on, liberals should be worried.
December 22nd, 2008  
mmarsh
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chukpike
Obama's official recommendation on Proposition 8 to Ban Gay Marriage in California was to vote NO. (Meaning to allow Gay Marriage) Obama appealed to the homosexual vote on this stance and overwhelming received their support. (And not just in California) So it would be reasonable to expect Obama to listen to their concerns.

He said what the Gay's wanted to hear, so got their support. Now they get to see what their support was worth. So this topic is right on, liberals should be worried.
That doesn't mean he supports gay marriage. It just mean he opposes any legislation that seeks to deny civil rights. He has repeated said that he views marriage between a man and a women.

Which is exactly my sentiments on the matter. I am opposed to any legislation that persecutes any type minority unless their was a verifiable negative influence on the majority as a whole. Being offended and have something not in accordance with someone's religious or social views is insufficient proof. I find Neo-Nazis to be offensive but I don't try and pass laws to get them banned. As long as they keep it to themselves I don't give a damn. That doesn't mean I automatically support Nazis. I just don't support a ban of them either...tempting as it may be. If however they start physically assaulting people because of their color, that's that becomes a reason to consider legislation against such groups.

You see the difference?

As for the gays, they might not get everything they want but whats the alternative? Join the GOP? I don't think so. The fact is gays are a small minority, and their political influence is small. There largest political strength is in NY, SF, and Seattle which are, unsurprisingly, Democrat strong points. Even if they were to switch, it would have no impact those areas are as Democratic as Kansas is Republican. Obama never promised them he would legalize gay marriage, although perhaps thats what a few militants imagined he said.
December 22nd, 2008  
Chukpike
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chukpike
Obama's official recommendation on Proposition 8 to Ban Gay Marriage in California was to vote NO. (Meaning to allow Gay Marriage) Obama appealed to the homosexual vote on this stance and overwhelming received their support. (And not just in California) So it would be reasonable to expect Obama to listen to their concerns.

He said what the Gay's wanted to hear, so got their support. Now they get to see what their support was worth. So this topic is right on, liberals should be worried.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmarsh
That doesn't mean he supports gay marriage. It just mean he opposes any legislation that seeks to deny civil rights. He has repeated said that he views marriage between a man and a women.
Aaah, yes it does mean he supports Gay marriage. As this topic suggests he got support from the Gay liberal minority no matter their size. Liberals who supported his election have every reason to expect his support after the election. If they do not get it they have a very good reason to be worried.

He either believes marriage is between a man and women or he doesn't. To get the gay vote he was saying it was not only a man and women.
Who believes you can have it both ways?

This topic is not about gays. It is about now that he has been elected, will he will be responsive to the ones that got him to the dance? He did not get there with a conservative majority.
December 23rd, 2008  
mmarsh
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chukpike
Aaah, yes it does mean he supports Gay marriage. As this topic suggests he got support from the Gay liberal minority no matter their size. Liberals who supported his election have every reason to expect his support after the election. If they do not get it they have a very good reason to be worried.

He either believes marriage is between a man and women or he doesn't. To get the gay vote he was saying it was not only a man and women.
Who believes you can have it both ways?

This topic is not about gays. It is about now that he has been elected, will he will be responsive to the ones that got him to the dance? He did not get there with a conservative majority.
Once again, just because he got their support doesn't mean he's pro-gay marriage. Take it from me, I am against gay marriage and against prop 8, because I don't think the government has any reason to stick its nose into peoples business without warrent. At issue isnt about gays, its about the limits of government power.

Obama is very clear (Chicago Tribune article) he states:

"I'm a Christian. And so, although I try not to have my religious beliefs dominate or determine my political views on this issue, I do believe that tradition, and my religious beliefs say that marriage is something sanctified between a man and a woman."


You cannot really argue this point as its crystal clear. He does not support it.

There were probably more conservatives voting for him than gays. Conservative Democrats on the West and Northwest carry far more power than the tiny gay minority you keep mentioning. Obama has promised to help the gays in other ways like Civil Unions, Don't Ask, anti-descrimination legislation, but on the marriage issue he is pretty consistant.
December 23rd, 2008  
A Can of Man
 
 
I really think we should be giving Obama a chance. So far what he's been doing seems encouraging. He's not banking on the far left as many feared. If you love your country, you'll want this man to do a great job for the next four years.
 


Similar Topics
Obama To Explore New Approach In Afghanistan War
Obama Team To Descend On Federal Agencies
If Obama Wins
Barack Obama May Recruit Defence Chief Robert Gates
John McCain And Barack Obama Tilt Toward The Center On Iraq Plans