Obama Worries Liberals

I really think we should be giving Obama a chance. So far what he's been doing seems encouraging. He's not banking on the far left as many feared. If you love your country, you'll want this man to do a great job for the next four years.

Yeah its probably best to at least wait until he is in the job before telling him how bad he is doing at it.

I really think we should be giving Obama a chance. So far what he's been doing seems encouraging. He's not banking on the far left as many feared. If you love your country, you'll want this man to do a great job for the next four years.

Very true, even if you dont like the man or his ideas we all better start PRAYING that he is right. Because with two wars, a national image in shambles and the economy in the toilet, we really cannot afford any mistakes.

Its abit unfair to Obama that he has to be 100% on most major issues but there you have it. Bottom of the ninth, 2 out, three on, the last better just struck out and the rookie is now up to bat. Lets hope he hits it out of the ballpark.

I don't expect him to be perfect but I hope he doesn't crash and burn. After all the alternative is crazy Joe Biden or worse yet, Nancy P.C. Pelosi.

mmarsh, it's a bit unfair to every leader who has to be right 100% of the time with their critics being the snobbish monday morning quarterbackers known as the press. I was watching the BBC and I just had to turn the damned thing off. The interviewer's "I am a cultured British interrogator and you, slimey little Yank, will answer my questions and I will CUT YOU OFF before you can answer so it makes you look stupid and makes me look superior. Of course if you get angry, it'll make you more stupid, and I will open my eyes really really wide and look down at you with my superior height (that's why I was picked) and my chair that has slightly longer legs than yours. Oh yes, if you think my expression is that of an adult scolding a silly little boy, that is because you are correct. I learned this from my headmaster when I was a young lad and he did me up the bum and now I get back at people at higher levels of authority than I in the same way to tickle my ego. The fact that you're far more important than me makes me feel small and I must crush you no matter what. HAH! Just because I'm on a politics show it makes me look like a far superior POLITICIAN than you, even though I am truly an English major who had a very good GPA," sort of crap was pissing me off.
Couldn't watch a minute more of it..

Well true, but what I meant was with all the problems we face, and the hype, Obama cannot afford any SNAFU'S. You could say the same for any leader, but for Obama the current situation is both unique and dire. It isnt really fair because all Presidents make mistakes, even the great ones.

"Why is that congress says one thing and does nothing" (Joanne)

"Well, tradition mostly" (Charlie)

~Charlie Wilsons War

The interesting thing I see is how Hilary is already talking about expanding the state department in power and at the same time bolster more foriegn policy meddling in even more countries problems. Now is that not completely opposite of thier election stance on trying to stay out of other countries problems?

And thats just some of the wonderous news that is coming on the heels of a new administration. New people same old crap....

Yall do realize that if his economic plan takes off, and works, and the economy starts going back up on his watch, and doesn't go as low as it did during Bush's watch, he goes down in history as a national hero?

At least Obama's got a plan whether it succeeds or fails. If It fails then he can try something else. Its better than having no plan at all. Seriously, the economy really started to implode in early October what is Bush been doing since then? Bailouts to Banks and the Auto industry? While both are important neither one will get the economy back on track. This president is just sitting on his a** trying to run down the clock.

If hes going to that he might as well move out NOW, and let Obama get started with his new job.

Do you really think the economy began to decline just in October? That's rather short sighted. The decline began years ago. I don't think hundreds of billions of dollars is doing nothing by any stretch of the imagination.

Do you really think the economy began to decline just in October? That's rather short sighted. The decline began years ago. I don't think hundreds of billions of dollars is doing nothing by any stretch of the imagination.

years? more like decades, our current problem began way back when the lobbyists lobbied to get the restrictions that were placed on banks back in the teens or twenty's removed, after the restrictions were removed banks started gambling on weather or not I could afford a $200,000 house on a $32,000 salary. and of course to make the odds better they came up with this thing called interest only loans, and teaser rates.
That kind of crap has been going on ever since the restrictions were removed. Now here we are in 2008 with the whole entire world tied together financially, and when one stock market goes, the whole house of cards falls over.
get ready guys, the change Obama wants to try to make might not be the change that happens.
I hope Obama can fix this "problem" Cause if he can't there might not be enough organized civilisations left for the next guy to try his plan

Well true, but what I meant was with all the problems we face, and the hype, Obama cannot afford any SNAFU'S. You could say the same for any leader, but for Obama the current situation is both unique and dire. It isnt really fair because all Presidents make mistakes, even the great ones.

I was referring to that as well but I guess I got carried away by that annoying BBC program.

You're sounding very negative DTop. Lets be positive and give the guy (and his administration) a chance.

Too bad errol. I call them as I see them. I am entitled to my opinion even if it doesn't agree with yours.
On this forum, we allow the expression of differing opinions as long as they are not personal attacks on other users. If that's not your cup of tea, there are many other forums you can use our there.
If you have a problem with the way things are here, PM me and we can explore other options. I will not be baited into a silly argument on these forums.

Too bad errol. I call them as I see them. I am entitled to my opinion even if it doesn't agree with yours.
On this forum, we allow the expression of differing opinions as long as they are not personal attacks on other users. If that's not your cup of tea, there are many other forums you can use our there.
If you have a problem with the way things are here, PM me and we can explore other options. I will not be baited into a silly argument on these forums.
You don't want to know my opinion of how things are here lately.

I agree, the economy did not just die in October. The beginning of the end was combining wars with cutting taxes and deregulating the banking industry.

You don't want to know my opinion of how things are here lately.

I agree, the economy did not just die in October. The beginning of the end was combining wars with cutting taxes and deregulating the banking industry.

That started back in the '70's, I gues ssombody thought it was a real fun ride on teh backs of eth common working man until all teh common working people were in houses they couldn't afford .

He's refering to the collapse that came in the aftermath of the Lehmann Brothers debacle, DTOP. Thats when the markets really started to go into panic/collapse mode. Credit started to dry up real fast. Do you own any stock???

Sure, the housing market bubble, credit swaps, changes in banking regulation laws etc have been going on for sometime but stock markets were still strong in November 2007 and then began a decline. The big crunch in September/October were credit markets drying up.

GM may be not producing the right cars (and losing money) but the big problem is refinancing their debts. Many good companies around the world at this moment are having trouble refinancing their debt facilities because some banks just just don't want to hand over the money out of fear of not getting their money back. They are desparate to increase their capital reserves. 18 months ago there would not have been a problem. It's like a big blocked pipe! The US Fed is shoving money in one end (the banks) but it is not coming quickly out the other end. Major financial constipation!!! Credit spreads are still large but are slightly improving. The US housing market has to stabilize and will take many months to do so.

Lets give the billions of dollars a chance to work, DTOP. It's early days. You are entitled to your opinion but lets have an informed one. You don't seem to have any worthwhile alternative solutions yourself. If we all spoke negatively like you confidence would take years to build and our economic woes would continue.

I suggest you read financial papers more regularly in 2009.

Last edited:
I suggest you be more polite in you responses and more timely, ERROL. Your statement of what you perceive as my negativity is no more appropriate than me calling you a pie in the sky liberal with blinders and rose colored glasses who's only purpose is to bash U.S. Republicans or some such.
Now, I wouldn't do that because I don't know well enough and I won't respond in that fashion.
That fact I first stated is, that the current situation has roots that go back many years and those roots are not the sole responsibility of either of our political parties.
Stop trying to bait me into an inappropriate response with your barbs about my opinion being uninformed.

The US housing market has to stabilize and will take many months to do so.

Lets give the billions of dollars a chance to work, DTOP. It's early days. You are entitled to your opinion but lets have an informed one. You don't seem to have any worthwhile alternative solutions yourself. If we all spoke negatively like you confidence would take years to build and our economic woes would continue.

The biggest problem that I see is that the US govt has no plan to work on reducing the money supply. Until that happens we are going to continue to have over priced housing and the housing market won;t get any better.

I think that it is unfair to people like me. I bought a house in 2003. I only borrowed what I thought I could afford, not what the bank was willing to lend me. The bank preapproved me for 220K but I only borrowed 140K. My mortgage is at a fixed rate and I have been paying down the principal. This may sound cold hearted but I have no sympathy (It's in the dictionary between sh*t and syphyllis) for people who borrowed more than they could afford to pay back. To me it DOES NOT MATTER if people allowed themselves to be talked into ARM's and borrowed more than they could afford. That is THEIR fault not mine. Why should I as a tax payer have to subsidize them. It sucks they are getting forclosed on but if we allow the forclosures then the housing market will reset/adjust a whole lot faster. What I want to know is when is the government going to pay me for making smart decisions. We HAVE TO STOP REWARDING PEOPLE FOR MATKING BAD DECISIONS.

We HAVE TO STOP REWARDING PEOPLE FOR MATKING BAD DECISIONS.
Or making the average citizen their whipping boy when things go wrong.

We cannot let these companies fail. If we dont' bail them out, their rich CEOs wont' pour their own money into it. They'll let it go bust and cash in with the millions they still have left while everyone else loses all income. The only truly fair thing to do would be to strip the CEOs of all their money and pour it into company fund.

Back