Obama will leave current Secretary of Defense in charge

perseus

US media suggests that Barack Obama will decide leave US Defence Secretary Robert Gates (an independent) in charge of the Pentagon when takes office as president despite being nominated to the role by President George W Bush in 2006. He has overseen a change of strategy in Iraq and took over as Defence secretary from Donald Rumsfeld in 2006.

Obama has previously disagreed with Gates on the rate of withdrawal from Iraq but generally agrees that there should be more emphasis on Afghanistan.
Is this an indication of a far more hawkish stance than anticipated from Obama or just a pragmatic attitude, preferring experience to change?

I think it means that it doesn't make that big of a difference. "Change"... what a great sales pitch. If you look at what Obama's planning in terms of the overall strategy, it's very little in terms of difference from what the Bush administration is doing.

It's a good idea. Gates is not a yes man, and i think Obama needs that in his administration right now.

True, and more importantly he's not a radical, he doesnt subscribe to the nutty notion about spreading Democracy by bombing people...unlike his predecessor.

He also has the luck of being up to speed on most worst hotspots, meaning Obama doesnt have to break a newbie in.

There is always a right time to say goodbye.
Since it has become quite clear, that the new President of the USA is just as determined as his predecessor to throw lives away in senseless wars, I feel it is time for me to go. Not only have the last eight years shown how easy it is for one man to ruin a democracy with a good record and better financial balance. They have also shown, that there are always enough stupid guys around who are ready to support such leaders.
The just world, for which so many members of our armed forces (not to mention all the innocent civilians) have lost their health or lives for, is as far away as it was at the time the leader of one race reproached his generals for not ordering the murder of Medionite and Amorite POWs together with their families.
I have great respect for all persons who are ready to die to defend their own country. I have however, no respect for those who find it quite okay to invade other countries, be they politicians, religious fanatics or just soldiers who say they are only doing their job when killing other people.
From the later, a few seem to use this forum. This right of opinion is very valuable, the opinions themselves unfortunately, no expression of understanding what human-rights are all about. Perhaps during the time of Advent some will change their minds. Whatever the case, I would like to thank everybody who tries to make these online discussions a cut above most others.
My last wish is, that all who take part in these forums will remain alive to enjoy a good Christmas. Good luck to you all!

There is always a right time to say goodbye.
Since it has become quite clear, that the new President of the USA is just as determined as his predecessor to throw lives away in senseless wars, I feel it is time for me to go. Not only have the last eight years shown how easy it is for one man to ruin a democracy with a good record and better financial balance. They have also shown, that there are always enough stupid guys around who are ready to support such leaders.
The just world, for which so many members of our armed forces (not to mention all the innocent civilians) have lost their health or lives for, is as far away as it was at the time the leader of one race reproached his generals for not ordering the murder of Medionite and Amorite POWs together with their families.
I have great respect for all persons who are ready to die to defend their own country. I have however, no respect for those who find it quite okay to invade other countries, be they politicians, religious fanatics or just soldiers who say they are only doing their job when killing other people.
From the later, a few seem to use this forum. This right of opinion is very valuable, the opinions themselves unfortunately, no expression of understanding what human-rights are all about. Perhaps during the time of Advent some will change their minds. Whatever the case, I would like to thank everybody who tries to make these online discussions a cut above most others.
My last wish is, that all who take part in these forums will remain alive to enjoy a good Christmas. Good luck to you all!
Wow, where did that come from?

I think what he is saying is that it is not OK to go to war solely for patriotism or without questioning the moral consequences. In that I would agree, although when other means have failed sometimes it may be necessary to take violent action sometimes even pre-emptive action for the common good. Unfortunately, perhaps that principle was used an an excuse for other more selfish motives in Iraq for example.

I would like Englander to stay on here or else you end up with a group of highly polarised pro-right wing views. You will always get the good, bad and the ugly on a military related site, this cannot be avoided.

I think what he is saying is that it is not OK to go to war solely for patriotism or without questioning the moral consequences. In that I would agree, although when other means have failed sometimes it may be necessary to take violent action sometimes even pre-emptive action for the common good. Unfortunately, perhaps that principle was used an an excuse for other more selfish motives in Iraq for example.

I would like Englander to stay on here or else you end up with a group of highly polarised pro-right wing views. You will always get the good, bad and the ugly on a military related site, this cannot be avoided.

Soldiers don't have the luxury to question everything. Civilians do.
Soldiers cannot hide behind "I was just following orders." See Nuremberg Trials.

Ahhhhhhhh. If the selfish individuals you are talking about is the US Congress I agree. If they didn't agree with the presidents reasoning for going to war, then don't vote to fund it or vote to declare war. I have to give respect to Obama because he has never wavered on this issue. If he lives up to this promise after he takes office.... That remains to be seen.

Soldiers have the right to vote for whomever they choose. If the person they voted for is not elected, they DO NOT have the luxury of saying that they don;t want to play anymore.

In the military, rank has it's priviledges (sp?). As a Master Sergeant ( E8 ) soldiers are required to obey my lawful orders, but (and this is a big one) I am now responsible for their actions.

Maybe Heinlein had it right in Starship Troopers......

A lot of the stuff Heinlein said made sense.

True. Very True.

I think that people who want to participate in the government (vote, hold office, etc.) should be required to serve their country. Not just military service, but some type of service that serves the greater good. (Police, Fireman, EMT, Military).

Back