Obama supports extremist?




 
--
Obama supports extremist?
 
May 18th, 2012  
trailbrake2088
 

Topic: Obama supports extremist?


Obama supports extremist?
Okay I read something I consider shocking, Obama gave 1.5 Billion in millitary aide to the muslim brotherhood. Not food aid millitary aid! Am I missing something here?
May 18th, 2012  
senojekips
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailbrake2088
Okay I read something I consider shocking, Obama gave 1.5 Billion in millitary aide to the muslim brotherhood. Not food aid millitary aid! Am I missing something here?
What are you on about, the Egyptians are supposedly your allies, having been instrumental in the US exraordinary rendition program for torturing detainees?

Short memory?...
May 18th, 2012  
BritinBritain
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailbrake2088
Okay I read something I consider shocking, Obama gave 1.5 Billion in millitary aide to the muslim brotherhood. Not food aid millitary aid! Am I missing something here?
Thats nothing, after WW2 the Labour Government in UK gave the Soviets something like 25 Rolls Royce Nene jet engines, which they reversed engineered, then built the engine that powered the MIG 15, the same MIG that killed hundreds if not thousands of Allied personnel during the Korean War.
--
Obama supports extremist?
May 18th, 2012  
MontyB
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailbrake2088
Okay I read something I consider shocking, Obama gave 1.5 Billion in millitary aide to the muslim brotherhood. Not food aid millitary aid! Am I missing something here?
U.S. Senate candidate Barry Hinckley says Obama administration gave $1.5 billion to Egypt's Muslim Brotherhood

Foreign policy was one of the issues that came up when U.S. Senate candidate Benjamin "Barry" Hinckley was interviewed on "State of the State," a cable television public affairs program that aired April 21 and 22.

Hinckley, a Republican, was critical of foreign aid, and specifically questioned one of the aid decisions of the Obama administration. He was struggling a bit as he made his point, but here's what he said:

"Obama gave the Muslim Brotherhood a million [then correcting himself] a billion and a half dollars last week, you know, in Egypt. We need that money here. A billion and a half dollars could really help Rhode Island, quite frankly. We probably need it, in my opinion, more than the Muslim Brotherhood needs it . . . especially when the Muslim Brotherhood got together, I think one of the first things they did, when they convened their new congress, was to make Israel enemy #1. And we give them a billion and a half dollars? That's a problem in my book. We need to focus our resources here."

The Muslim Brotherhood has been a part of Egyptian politics -- sometimes an outlawed part -- since 1928; one of its goals is to promote Sharia law, which is the moral code and religious law of Islam.

Did the Obama administration really give the Brotherhood $1.5 billion?

It turns out that the money was actually an aid package to Egypt itself, not the Brotherhood, according to a March 22 story in The Washington Post.

We contacted Hinckley's campaign.

Spokesman Christopher McAuliffe said Hinckley "is aware that there is a pro forma difference between the Muslim Brotherhood and the government of Egypt. In that light, his position could certainly have been more precise. However, I do think the basis of it is readily understandable, since the Egyptian government is dominated by the Muslim Brotherhood."

For guidance on that point, we contacted some experts on Egypt.

Melani Cammett, director of the Middle East studies program at Brown University, told us that sending aid to Egypt was not the same as giving it to the Brotherhood because the Brotherhood doesn't actually control the government.

"It's true that the Muslim Brotherhood won the plurality of seats [in December elections] and when you combine them with the Salafis, which are more radical Islamists, they've won the majority of seats in the parliament," she said. "The fact of the matter is the SCAF, which is the Supreme Council of the Armed Forces, still controls the government and controls the executive branch and is manipulating things in such a way that it's making it difficult for the Islamists to exert their full power as the majority in parliament."

"So the major struggle going on in Egyptian politics right now is that the SCAF, controlled by elite military officers, is not willing to relinquish power," said Cammett.

John P. Entelis, director of Middle East studies at Fordham University, said it would be "totally inaccurate" to say that $1.5 billion is going to the Muslim Brotherhood. "This is an ongoing military aid package that we've been giving to Egypt since 1979."

The aid package, according to multiple sources, includes $1.3 billion in military aid and $250 million in economic and political assistance.

Our ruling

Republican U.S. Senate candidate Barry Hinckley said the Obama administration approved $1.5 billion to go to Egypt's Muslim Brotherhood.

In fact, the aid package was for the nation of Egypt, not the Brotherhood. The Brotherhood may control the largest bloc of seats in parliament, but it's not even a majority. Not only that, the country itself continues, for now at least, to be controlled by the military. And more than 80 percent of the aid package is military aid.

The statement is incorrect for so many reasons, we rate it False.

http://www.politifact.com/rhode-isla...ys-obama-admi/
May 19th, 2012  
trailbrake2088
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by senojekips
What are you on about, the Egyptians are supposedly your allies, having been instrumental in the US exraordinary rendition program for torturing detainees?

Short memory?...
I have not been on these forums long but i must say I disagree with you 90% of the time. Yes I know Egypt has been an ally if you notice I didn't say he gave it to Egypt he gave it to the muslim brotherhood who just overthrew the Egyptian goverment.
May 19th, 2012  
trailbrake2088
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyB
U.S. Senate candidate Barry Hinckley says Obama administration gave $1.5 billion to Egypt's Muslim Brotherhood

Foreign policy was one of the issues that came up when U.S. Senate candidate Benjamin "Barry" Hinckley was interviewed on "State of the State," a cable television public affairs program that aired April 21 and 22.

Hinckley, a Republican, was critical of foreign aid, and specifically questioned one of the aid decisions of the Obama administration. He was struggling a bit as he made his point, but here's what he said:

"Obama gave the Muslim Brotherhood a million [then correcting himself] a billion and a half dollars last week, you know, in Egypt. We need that money here. A billion and a half dollars could really help Rhode Island, quite frankly. We probably need it, in my opinion, more than the Muslim Brotherhood needs it . . . especially when the Muslim Brotherhood got together, I think one of the first things they did, when they convened their new congress, was to make Israel enemy #1. And we give them a billion and a half dollars? That's a problem in my book. We need to focus our resources here."

The Muslim Brotherhood has been a part of Egyptian politics -- sometimes an outlawed part -- since 1928; one of its goals is to promote Sharia law, which is the moral code and religious law of Islam.

Did the Obama administration really give the Brotherhood $1.5 billion?

It turns out that the money was actually an aid package to Egypt itself, not the Brotherhood, according to a March 22 story in The Washington Post.

We contacted Hinckley's campaign.

Spokesman Christopher McAuliffe said Hinckley "is aware that there is a pro forma difference between the Muslim Brotherhood and the government of Egypt. In that light, his position could certainly have been more precise. However, I do think the basis of it is readily understandable, since the Egyptian government is dominated by the Muslim Brotherhood."

For guidance on that point, we contacted some experts on Egypt.

Melani Cammett, director of the Middle East studies program at Brown University, told us that sending aid to Egypt was not the same as giving it to the Brotherhood because the Brotherhood doesn't actually control the government.

"It's true that the Muslim Brotherhood won the plurality of seats [in December elections] and when you combine them with the Salafis, which are more radical Islamists, they've won the majority of seats in the parliament," she said. "The fact of the matter is the SCAF, which is the Supreme Council of the Armed Forces, still controls the government and controls the executive branch and is manipulating things in such a way that it's making it difficult for the Islamists to exert their full power as the majority in parliament."

"So the major struggle going on in Egyptian politics right now is that the SCAF, controlled by elite military officers, is not willing to relinquish power," said Cammett.

John P. Entelis, director of Middle East studies at Fordham University, said it would be "totally inaccurate" to say that $1.5 billion is going to the Muslim Brotherhood. "This is an ongoing military aid package that we've been giving to Egypt since 1979."

The aid package, according to multiple sources, includes $1.3 billion in military aid and $250 million in economic and political assistance.

Our ruling

Republican U.S. Senate candidate Barry Hinckley said the Obama administration approved $1.5 billion to go to Egypt's Muslim Brotherhood.

In fact, the aid package was for the nation of Egypt, not the Brotherhood. The Brotherhood may control the largest bloc of seats in parliament, but it's not even a majority. Not only that, the country itself continues, for now at least, to be controlled by the military. And more than 80 percent of the aid package is military aid.

The statement is incorrect for so many reasons, we rate it False.

http://www.politifact.com/rhode-isla...ys-obama-admi/
Thank you!!!! I was missing something glad I asked!
May 19th, 2012  
senojekips
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailbrake2088
I have not been on these forums long but i must say I disagree with you 90% of the time. Yes I know Egypt has been an ally if you notice I didn't say he gave it to Egypt he gave it to the muslim brotherhood who just overthrew the Egyptian goverment.
What you think about me and/or and my opinions, is of no importance to me, or anyone else other than yourself.

It took me just 30 seconds to Google the info you provided and find that Obama gave the money to Egypt, not The Muslim Brotherhood per se, and with Egypt being an Ally I fail to see the reason for your post, as this alliance was put in place long before the time of your present administration.
May 19th, 2012  
Gator
 
 
The USA has been giving Egypt aid since Carter was in office owing to the deals struck at the Camp David Accords.

Egypt used to get 2 billion and Israel used to get 3 billion so they would play nice with each other.

The USA gave Military Aid because the USA makes a whole lot of weapons, and sells a whole lot of weapons over seas.
Makes sense. Keeps those making such weapons in the USA employed.
And it did keep Israel and Egypt from attacking each other.
May 26th, 2012  
benaakatz
 
 
the military aid is what will keep egypt "in line" and not go on some fanciful militant "let's take on the israelis" drive
July 7th, 2012  
O.W.E.G.
 
 
The Muslim brotherhood rose to power through cheating
it was funded by both the USA and Qatar
Qatar funded them because they agreed they'd loan the Suez canal to Qatar for 99 years for somewhere around 300 billion dollars(it is currently "undeveloped" and has potential to bring more money than it currently does but even now in this state it should bring 495 billion dollars in these 99 years )and well the USA supports them so it can play with the media so my country is "EVIL"
isn't all of this obvious?
why did the NATO stand by Libya?
Is it because they wanted to be nice i don't think so.
A war in the middle east is imminent.
Hosni Mubarak (not that i like him ) was America ally yes but he refused to let America build military bases in Egypt but he wouldn't let America build them.
Israel still wants the Suez Canal believe If you don't believe me see what will happen in 10-20 years maybe even closer.
The elections weren't fair the Muslim brotherhood cheated with around 2 million ballots that arrived had their candidate chosen.
To app up, they prevented Christians in the southern regions from voting which would have if not all most of them would have voted for Shafik.
They also were giving poor people potatoes, rice and oil to vote for their candidate.
even after all of that they lost the elections.
but if they had lost in the elections it would have turned into a civil war.
inn the only 2 weeks before the elections the police has arrested people crossing the border with weapons on such a massive scale(402 anti tank missiles 5 anti air missiles 20 assault rifles and around 5000 bullets) that they had to announce that the Muslim brotherhood's candidate won.
or else my country would have been ash right now
people from the intelligence agency called Shafik and told him that he had won but after 2:00 am the day before the results were announced every thing changed.
those elections weren't FAIR .
 


Similar Topics
Obama seeks probe of U.S. soldiers posing with Afghan dead
Obama likely paid higher tax rate than Romney in 2011
Isn't it "marvelous?" Obama seeks to define Romney for voters
Obama, Mexico's Calderon vow more drug crime cooperation
How do you rate Obama as a president?