Obama stands up to McCain - Page 2

--
Boots

June 20th, 2008  
The Other Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_13th_redneck
Not being able to hit the western tribal areas of Pakistan is like how Cambodia and Laos were off limits in Vietnam.
Bomb them anyway. Got it. Which I honestly think we should do.
June 21st, 2008  
A Can of Man

Let the Afghans go after them for invading their sovereign territory. After their raid they can retreat back to the Afghan side of the border under the over watch of US/NATO troops. Life's a *****, ain't it Pakistan?
Put bounties on the head of wanted people and facilities that we need to have destroyed. It'll be the best way Afghans can make a living without growing drugs all the time. Then create a military unit made up of Afghans which will have reasonably good pay and use them like the British use Gurkhas.
June 23rd, 2008  
mmarsh

13th Redneck

I understand you, but I really I don't think that's likely to happen. The Iraqis are not like the Afghans, they are VERY different people.

The Iraqis are educated, even during Saddam. They have culture, music science, sports, women has civil rights (one of the few things Saddam did good) it was very much like Egypt or Jordan before the war.

They simply are going to tolerate a bunch of bloodthirsty barbarians trying to bring them back into 11th century.

Since the EuroCup is on and I know your a football fan (as I am) here is an example why. In Afghanistan, the Taliban actually banned playing football. Can you imagine what turmoil if they tried doing that in Football-crazy Iraq. The Iraqis would drag every al-Qaeda in the street at slowly impale them on goalposts.

Civilized countries are extremely difficult to manipulate they way al Qaeda wishes to. The Taliban method only works in places where there is no civilization, where its every man for himself because they were the only type of structure available.
--
Boots
June 23rd, 2008  
A Can of Man

How can you get a group of highly educated, cultured and civilized people into following an ideology of hate? Fear.
I am well aware that Iraqis are not like the Afghans and I am sure I mentioned this in a previous post somewhere.
How was it possible for barbarians to invade the heart of the Roman Empire and put an end to their way of life? Their ability to strike fear into the hearts of those they conquered. These same Al Qaeda or other groups ARE capable of taking over a country that is incapable of defending itself. When the Mongols took over the Chinese, in terms of education and civilization it was a complete mismatch in China's favor but the Mongols' ability to fight won them the day.
Al Qaeda can also look like an organizational Robin Hood to many of the poorer Muslims who no doubt have issues about the upper class.
The only time I've really seen Muslims seriously support Al Qaeda is in the context of an Al Qaeda vs USA clash. Alone, Al Qaeda is a pain in everyone's rearside. Truth is, I don't know how we're failing to take advantage of this fact.
June 23rd, 2008  
major liability

It'd be nice to be able to bomb those who run to Pakistan, but I'm afraid that country has nuclear missiles.
June 23rd, 2008  
The Other Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by major liability
It'd be nice to be able to bomb those who run to Pakistan, but I'm afraid that country has nuclear missiles.
That's what makes things difficult...
June 23rd, 2008  
A Can of Man

They can accept a bombing campaign in their western highlands or they can use the nuke and in return have Pakistan converted into a parking lot.
June 24th, 2008  
The Other Guy

Quote:
They can accept a bombing campaign in their western highlands or they can use the nuke and in return have Pakistan converted into a parking lot.
I like parking lots...
June 24th, 2008  
therise21

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmarsh
One BIG change is that Obama has said that we would bomb the Taliban held areas in Wiristan Pakistan, even without permission that's something that President Bush and McCain have refused to do. That those terrorist safe areas wouldn't be so safe. That's a departure from the Bush Doctrine which has agreed to tolerate the Taliban safe haven in order to keep Pakistan under Musharaf's fist.
I am pretty sure we have been launching missiles from drones at these militant safehavens, in fact i think the last attack we did supposedly targeted pakistani troops by accident. Everytime we do bomb across the border there is an outcry about how many civilians and children we killed with collateral damage. The best way to target areas for bombing is to have soldiers calling it in on the radio, otherwise collateral damage will be a bigger issue, so does Obama want to send US troops there to do the targeting? I know we arent talking about a carpet-bombing campaign, but civilian casualties will turn people against us.
June 24th, 2008  
senojekips

Quote:
Put bounties on the head of wanted people and facilities that we need to have destroyed. It'll be the best way Afghans can make a living without growing drugs all the time.
I'm no military strategist, but I reckon that would work quite well. The Brits solved the Malayan crisis against Chin Peng in a similar way and it was much cheaper than hunting down the insurgents with armed patrols.