Obama Quote Of The Day

5.56X45mm

Milforum Mac Daddy
From Obama Rama Ding Dong:
Understand this. Instead of worrying about whether, uh, immigrants can learn English. They’ll learn English. You need to make sure your child can speak Spanish! You should be thinking about how can your child become bilingual. We should have every child speaking more than one language.
Actually, when it comes to most Black people, I’d be satisfied if they’d become bilingual in terms of Ebonics and English.

Seriously. Watch one of the cop shows where they’re interviewing Black suspects in an interrogation room. Nine times out of ten, the Blacks require sub-titles so that the audience can make out what they’re mumbling.

You might say that the sub-titles are to help understand the mumbling.

Not so. If proper English is being spoken, it’s quite easy to understand a mumbler. (Marlon Brando built an entire acting career around this fact.)

It’s when the English itself is incomprehensible that mumbling requires sub-titles.

By insisting on using that stupid dialect, Black people consign themselves to the lower rung of the economic ladder forever, just as surely as will a Mexican who speaks no English. Of course, any Black who speaks proper English is scorned for “acting White”—and thus will social pressure (and not “The Man") perpetuate a bad situation.

From Obama Rama Ding Dong:
Understand this. Instead of worrying about whether, uh, immigrants can learn English. They’ll learn English. You need to make sure your child can speak Spanish! You should be thinking about how can your child become bilingual. We should have every child speaking more than one language.

So what this quote says is that: Immigrants will learn english - check.
Children should be bilingual - check

I'm not seeing the issue. He is saying that immigrants will learn english. Thats great, I totally agree. He is then saying that children should be bilingual. I also completely agree with this. Studies have show that students that learn another language not only (on average) do better in school, but end up being more successful later in life. So. I'm not seeing your problem with this quote.

Actually, when it comes to most Black people, I’d be satisfied if they’d become bilingual in terms of Ebonics and English.

Wow. Way to stereotype and entire race based on nothing.

Seriously. Watch one of the cop shows where they’re interviewing Black suspects in an interrogation room. Nine times out of ten, the Blacks require sub-titles so that the audience can make out what they’re mumbling.

Again, you stereotype a race based on a "statistic" ("9 times out of 10...") that you pulled from thin air. Then you comment on their use of subtitles. This reminds me of a joke video I watched the other day: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Si6CHruMn7c

You might say that the sub-titles are to help understand the mumbling.

Or, because its a lower quality recording and its hard to make anyone out. Thats why most cop shows have subtitles for the cops as well. You aren't commenting on their english are you?

By insisting on using that stupid dialect, Black people consign themselves to the lower rung of the economic ladder forever, just as surely as will a Mexican who speaks no English. Of course, any Black who speaks proper English is scorned for “acting White”—and thus will social pressure (and not “The Man") perpetuate a bad situation.

Iv got to say, this post disgusted me. I had half a mind from the start to report it, but I decided better to debate it then ask for it to be removed. You are generalizing about an entire race, using a minority of the African American population to comment on the entire population. Where are your numbers showing how a majority don't "speak english". Where is your proof that "any black who speaks proper english is scorned for "acting white."" I think you need to edit this post a bit, and try using verifiable evidence and real numbers, instead of stereotyping an entire race based upon anecdotal evidence and hearsay.

5.56 actually has a lot of good points. There is this strange culture within the black community it seems that looks down on black people who actually make it and are successful in the world in professions that are not related to either sports or music. I think that it's a tragedy.
There are plenty of black people who bust their asses trying to make a good living and earn their titles and salaries, only to be put down by others behind their backs about how the guy only got his position because of affirmative action, yet the guy never needed affirmative action.
Ebonics requires subtitles just like Singlish (Singaporean English) requires subtitles (many Singaporeans have trouble understanding people who speak in an American accent) and English vocabulary is often used in a very strange manner in Korea whereas the original meaning is completely lost (i.e. the English word "side" in Korea means to be a lazy procrastinator).
If you don't speak standard English, you don't get good jobs, that's a fact.
I only speak Marine Korean. My wife almost forbids me to speak Korean when engaging in any kind of official meeting (looking for a house etc.) because I sound REALLY low class and people automatically assume I'm nothing but trouble. I try to speak good Korean but the bad one keeps slipping out... :(

I can understand how some might be offended or at least pretend to be because they don't like you for whatever reason. Just in case though, I wanna give a little advice even if it's not warranted 5.56.

That's pretty tough 5.56. I am sure you know as everyone else does, their is good and bad in every race. Usually the black folks in interrogation rooms, tv and real life, if they are hard to understand it is more because they don't feel like cooperating more so than their lack of intelligence per se.

However, I do understand your issue, as a police officer, you see plenty of ugly and it is extremely difficult for that to not tarnish the rest of your perspective on life. I found it wise to tell myself that this is only a small percentage of these folks that are like this. One of the things we must do is to remember that people are basically good even if your just not seeing it. Difficult? Of course. If your finding it impossible to be open minded, counseling helps. I don't mean that sarcastically either.

On the other hand as well, some folks who don't understand will come at you hostile as we have seen. Even if they do understand they may still be hostile because they can with a computer in front of their face.

Don't let the job destroy your soul 5.56. Your a good man. Their are good people out there, of all races, colors and creeds.

That's true too Redneck. Folks like General Poweell are called Uncle Tom's and such by the lower class black folk.

Last edited:
I'm in no way against people of other races. My best is black... But there is a major issue within the black community. Even Bill Cosby has stated it. The current issue within the US is that there are two groups.Those that work hard and those that *****. Sadly it has become more common for people to fall into the later group.

When you have a majority of people that wear shirts saying don't snitch.Meaning don't talk to the police if there is a crime committed. Then I believe that there is a major issue.

Society has changed to the point that people of color get a free pass at some things in life and yet they still do not take it and then they blame other people for their failure.

I have been at scenes in which some idiot teenager crashed his car while drunk driving and the first thing the parents do is accuse me of being racist because I wrote their son a ticket for DUI.

Sorry.... but I have seen both the good and the bad of society. There is a double standard. Just as how for men it is viewed as a good thing to sleep with many women but for women they're viewed as sults for being with many guys. Same goes goes with current race relations.

I learned english coming here to the USA. I 100% believe that it should not be the other way around. When one immigrates to a new nation. You adapt yourself to that nation's culture. Not the other way around. I also believe that learning a second language is not something bad but it should not be forced on non-immigrant english speaking kids. If little Johnny doesn't want to spanish that's his deal.

But if Juan immigrate to the USA and wants to get a job. Then he needs to learn english. I did so can he. I adapted myelf to American Culture. I did not say no and fly a Cuban Flag once I came here... I embraced this great country and so should others.

Last edited:
Good stuff, as usual 5.56.

Love Bill Cosby, I was reading some of his quotes earlier.
"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."

Back