Obama Overstates Kansas Tornado Toll says 10,000 killed

phoenix80

Banned
Barack Obama attacked President Bush for the Iraq war and promised universal health care by 2012 during a campaign appearance Tuesday and he drastically overstated the death toll from last weekend's Kansas tornadoes.

The Democratic presidential candidate, appearing before about 500 people packed into a sweltering Richmond art studio for a fundraiser, took aim at the Bush White House in a 20-minute speech.

"How could we have been involved in a war that never should have been authorized, that has already cost us half a trillion dollars," Obama told the crowd in his third visit to Richmond in eight months. He drew the loudest ovation of the evening when he said he would "make sure every individual has health care by the end of the next president's first term, by the end of my first term."

But minutes later, caught up in his exuberance, the Illinois senator blurted out that 10,000 people had died in twisters that tore through Kansas. The death toll was 12.

A short while later, his shirt sleeves rolled up and his head glistening with sweat, Obama appeared to realize his error.

"There are going to be times when I get tired. There are going to be times when I get weary. There are going to be times when I make mistakes," he said.

Obama returned to the former Confederate capital determined to contend for Southern support and cash as the latest national polls show him trailing Democratic rival Hillary Clinton by double digits.

A recent Newsweek poll showing Democrat Barack Obama leading top Republican presidential hopefuls could have been made up and might help al-Qaida, conservative commentator Ann Coulter said in her latest verbal broadside.
Coulter, a best-selling author known for outrageous and often controversial statements, was asked Sunday on Fox News' "At Large" what she thought about the survey results.

"I think this is Newsweek doing more push polling for al-Qaida," she said, referring to campaign-season telephone calls to voters masquerading as neutral surveys but designed to build opposition to targeted candidates.

Asked by host Geraldo Rivera whether she thought Newsweek would make up the results, Coulter said, "Yes, I do," adding, "In polls where people are actually allowed to vote, Republicans do a lot better."

Coulter did not explain how the poll might help the terrorist group. Since the attacks of Sept. 11, 2001, some Republicans have argued that their party would do a better job of protecting the U.S. against terrorism than Democrats.

Coulter's remark drew a response from Evans Witt, chief executive officer of Princeton Survey Research Associates International, which conducted the Newsweek survey.

"As the 2008 election campaign continues to heat up, I am sure that there will be informed and incisive criticisms of polls from many observers," he said. Coulter's comments "do not fit into this category," he added.

Newsweek spokeswoman Jan Angilella said the magazine would have no comment.

In March, Coulter used a gay slur about Democratic presidential candidate John Edwards.

http://www.abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStory?id=3154165

Last edited:
that must have been one BIG tornado

Actually it was, didn't you see? The wind from the Kansas Twister spun Obama's foot right into his mouth when he was in Richmond VA. :p

Oh well, if I a a nickel every time a US political spouted off on subjects they no thing about I would be retired in Barbados right now.

Serious though, Twisters are no joke. I went to school in rural Indiana, right in Tornado Alley. I used to watch them from my dorm. Especially in the Midwest like Indiana where the terrain is very flat they can be devastating.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kansas has tornadoes to worry about, and here in southern California, we have wildfires! :smile:

So do we down in the South East, yesterday my town was covered in smoke from one of em.

As for Obama's mistake, ill go along wit mmarsh on this one. This is not the first time iv heard a politician make a mistake, and likely its not going to be the last.

Edit - Also, Ann Coulter always makes me laugh. She spouts the most random bulls**t.

Last edited:
What a idiot! It was a big one, it was an F-5 but it only killed 10 people and 100 injuries. He needs to get his facts straight.

*Sigh* I think this is getting blown out of proportion. Iv seen several news stories about this, and quite honestly, it was a simple error. Politicians, or heck PEOPLE, make errors as a matter of commonplace. If you went on google right now, im sure you could find a dozen within 5 minutes.

All said, it was an error, but an error coming from Politicians is nothing new. People need to get over his mistake and move on.

Last edited:
But not quite as much of a gaffe as suggesting the Queen is over 200 years old!
http://www.guardian.co.uk/monarchy/story/0,,2075557,00.html

Bush's gaffes are in a league of their own.

The most important thing is for us to find Osama bin Laden. It is our number one priority and we will not rest until we find him." —Washington, D.C., Sept. 13, 2001

I don't know where bin Laden is. I have no idea and really don't care. It's not that important. It's not our priority." —Washington, D.C., March 13, 2002

http://politicalhumor.about.com/library/blbushdumbquotes2.htm

and show some wisdom and leadership but well he is not gonna make it

Why not?

Don't worry about the Queen though she has a husband who could even rival Bush, at least in terms of Political Incorrectness

http://www.blink.org.uk/print.asp?key=406

Last edited:
He wants to be the president of the US. He must be able to talk in front of such crowds and show some wisdom and leadership but well he is not gonna make it.... (which is good)

I think your bias is showing a bit. One simple error does not wipe away a history of making brilliant and stirring speeches. He has shown more wisdom and leadership then most people in the '08 campaign.

I urge you to listen to some of his speechs, they do show that he has great promise.

On a related note, I just took a hillary and wiped my obama.
:)

HAHAHAHA!!!! I'm now going to use that term from here on out...

Back to topic now...

Folks give him a break but when President Bush makes a simple mistake the media and American Left label him an idiot and retard.

Obama said he was tired from flying around on his plane. President Bush deals with being President of the United States of America and leader of the Free World.

I'm not a support of double standards.

HAHAHAHA!!!! I'm now going to use that term from here on out...

Back to topic now...

Folks give him a break but when President Bush makes a simple mistake the media and American Left label him an idiot and retard.

Obama said he was tired from flying around on his plane. President Bush deals with being President of the United States of America and leader of the Free World.

I'm not a support of double standards.

I agree completely with this. If Bush were to make a simple mistake in a single speech im sure no one would have an issue. The thing is that Bush has made many, many mistakes, most of them just with his grammer or one of those insert-foot-in-mouth moments.

http://politicalhumor.about.com/library/blbushisms.htm - This site has litterally dozens of such mistakes, and this is only the top hit on google.

To me its like giving a man who commits a single manslaughter the same punishment as someone who has killed say.......34 people. (Actually if you want to extend this metaphor with identical numbers it would be closer to 100) There is a huge diffrence. Is it still wrong in both cases? Yes. Is there a big diffrence? Also, yes.

"Obama said he was tired from flying around on his plane. President Bush deals with being President of the United States of America and leader of the Free World. "

Would'nt this statement imply a double standard?

Last edited:
I agree completely with this. If Bush were to make a simple mistake in a single speech im sure no one would have an issue. The thing is that Bush has made many, many mistakes, most of them just with his grammer or one of those insert-foot-in-mouth moments.

http://politicalhumor.about.com/library/blbushisms.htm - This site has litterally dozens of such mistakes, and this is only the top hit on google.

To me its like giving a man who commits a single manslaughter the same punishment as someone who has killed say.......34 people. (Actually if you want to extend this metaphor with identical numbers it would be closer to 100) There is a huge diffrence. Is it still wrong in both cases? Yes. Is there a big diffrence? Also, yes.

"Obama said he was tired from flying around on his plane. President Bush deals with being President of the United States of America and leader of the Free World. "

Would'nt this statement imply a double standard?

No. He was stating that certain people bash the POTUS then will turn around and make excuses for themselves for making the same type of mistake.

The way I look at it is this: Everyone makes grammatical and verbal mistakes. Some people think faster on their feet than others. This does not mean a person is stupid or ignorant.

I used to have a problem (and still do to some extent) where my brain was thinking faster than my mouth and I said all kinds of stupid crap in the course of a conversation or argument that made little sense because it was not thought and spoke in the same context. I know what I was thinking, but what came out was something entirely different.

Unfortunately people can't let someonme be human. They have to deify a public figure so that when that figure farts in the bathroom they can say how uncouth he/she is.

I dare anyone here to tell me they have never, ever, in their life meant to say one thing and something else came out of their mouth. That person would, in my eyes, have questionable integrity.

Last edited:
The thing about Bush is that his obvious public speaking problems is treatable. After all, people like Bob Dylan (and others) had to learn how to SING in front of a thousand person Live audience without succumbing to his extreme stage fright.

I think the problem is not the President's intelligence (although that is debatable) but rather his ego which just cannot accept the fact that he is a terrible speaker and that he needs speech coaching. Its evident he isn't getting any (or enough) help because he keeps on saying stupid things without improvement. The POTUS has to concerned about his image as well as his message. If the public thinks he's a goof ball then they will belief his message is a joke as well.

I think this all goes back to one of Bush's principal flaws; his stubborn inability to admit fault or error. He would rather keep coming across as a jackass than agree to any type of change. Its also testemount to why he's such a bad president.

Last edited:
Back