Obama Lauds 'GI Bill' That McCain Opposes

Team Infidel

Forum Spin Doctor
USA Today
May 13, 2008
Pg. 4

Democratic presidential front-runner Barack Obama used a speech Monday in Charleston, W.Va., to push for the "21st Century GI Bill" — legislation that presumptive GOP nominee John McCain and some other Republicans say is too expensive and might hurt the military's retention efforts.
"I have great respect for John McCain's service to this country, and I know he loves it dearly and honors those who serve," the Illinois senator said. "But he is one of the few senators of either party who oppose this bill. … I couldn't disagree more."
The Congressional Budget Office has said the legislation, proposed by Sen. Jim Webb, D-Va., would cost an estimated $52 billion over 10 years.
The bill would pay the full cost of in-state, public university tuition for personnel with at least three years of service.
McCain and two other Republican senators have proposed legislation that would increase educational benefits by less.
They say Webb's bill might spur many personnel to leave the active-duty ranks to take advantage of the benefits.
McCain campaign spokesman Tucker Bounds, in a statement, accused Obama of questioning McCain's commitment to the nation's veterans.

Back