Obama on insurance companies

Just check out the sheer number of lawyers. It just means they're the ones calling the shots. And what does a lawyer know about medicine? Just about nothing.

Almost all of these suggest help big business in one shape or another. Also there is nothing here that regulates the unethical practices of the healthcare industry.

A few examples...

Buy Health Insurence from Walmart? How does that fix anything? The fact that most medical professionals and state politicians think its a bad idea speaks volumes. How would changing my HMO to Walmart by any better? I see Walmarts interest, I dont see the comsumers, nor does it, make any change. Tell me would you seriously consider buying medical insurence for your family at Walmart? How much do you want to bet Herman Cain doesnt have Walmart Medical insurence?

Tort Reform? Let me get this streight, a TRILLION Dollar industry is suffering because of lawsuits many of which are lawsuits against the insurence company themselves for failing to provide service, rather than the doctor for making a error. Remember the doctors take their orders from the HMO, if a HMO refuses to pay for a procedure, and something happens, the patient will sue the insurence company via the doctor. Therefore Lawsuits dont affect the doctors, they affect the insurence companies. Every Doctor in the US has a medical malpractice insurence.

So basically what tort reform is doing is reducing the amount lawsuits that damage the HMOs bottom line. A old myth is that lawsuits are killing the medical profession industry. First of all who has actually seen a poor doctor, even in modest rural settings they get by fine. What is really killing Doctors are the Premiums not the lawsuits. Does anyone really think for a single second that if we were to pass tort reform the insurence companies would lower premiums on doctors? Baloney.

And quality would suffer too, hospitals wouldnt need to hire good doctors anymore, because if they hire and insure a rookie or a fu**up then the worst that can happen is they lose $250,000 which is PEANUTS. Again this is an industry worth in the Trillions.

Vouchers? Just look at the School voucher program for how incompetantly that works.

"Every nation that has gone the route of socialized medicine has made access, cost and quality of care worse"

A total lie, without any truth to it what so ever, how typical of rightwing talk radio. Any unbias medical healthcare professional will tell you exactly the opposite. Why are the top UHC systems from the WHO all from countries that have socialized medicine? Why are there no countries whom have mirrored our system if its so great? I am currently sitting in a socialized medicine country whose quality is equally and service is cheaper than the USA

This is why people SHOULDNT listen to the radio rent-a-mouths.

Last edited:
Almost all of these suggest help big business in one shape or another. Also there is nothing here that regulates the unethical practices of the healthcare industry.

A few examples...

Buy Health Insurence from Walmart? How does that fix anything? The fact that most medical professionals and state politicians think its a bad idea speaks volumes. How would changing my HMO to Walmart by any better? I see Walmarts interest, I dont see the comsumers, nor does it, make any change. Tell me would you seriously consider buying medical insurence for your family at Walmart? How much do you want to bet Herman Cain doesnt have Walmart Medical insurence?

Tort Reform? Let me get this streight, a TRILLION Dollar industry is suffering because of lawsuits many of which are lawsuits against the insurence company themselves for failing to provide service, rather than the doctor for making a error. Remember the doctors take their orders from the HMO, if a HMO refuses to pay for a procedure, and something happens, the patient will sue the insurence company via the doctor. Therefore Lawsuits dont affect the doctors, they affect the insurence companies. Every Doctor in the US has a medical malpractice insurence.

So basically what tort reform is doing is reducing the amount lawsuits that damage the HMOs bottom line. A old myth is that lawsuits are killing the medical profession industry. First of all who has actually seen a poor doctor, even in modest rural settings they get by fine. What is really killing Doctors are the Premiums not the lawsuits. Does anyone really think for a single second that if we were to pass tort reform the insurence companies would lower premiums on doctors? Baloney.

And quality would suffer too, hospitals wouldnt need to hire good doctors anymore, because if they hire and insure a rookie or a fu**up then the worst that can happen is they lose $250,000 which is PEANUTS. Again this is an industry worth in the Trillions.

Vouchers? Just look at the School voucher program for how incompetantly that works.

"Every nation that has gone the route of socialized medicine has made access, cost and quality of care worse"

A total lie, without any truth to it what so ever, how typical of rightwing talk radio. Any unbias medical healthcare professional will tell you exactly the opposite. Why are the top UHC systems from the WHO all from countries that have socialized medicine? Why are there no countries whom have mirrored our system if its so great? I am currently sitting in a socialized medicine country whose quality is equally and service is cheaper than the USA

This is why people SHOULDNT listen to the radio rent-a-mouths.
So why is gas back @ 2.50 a gallon instead of 4.00? Surly the oil industry is as powerfull as the insurance industry! Tort reform is needed as long as you have Jurys with morons on it giving outlandish amounts in hopes they will get a windfall if they sue in the future. Just allowing sales across State borders would increase competition(isn't that the argument for Govt Insurance?). Each State dreams up its own list of mandatory coverage, teamed up with no cross border sales creates inefficientcies.

So why is gas back @ 2.50 a gallon instead of 4.00? Surly the oil industry is as powerfull as the insurance industry! Tort reform is needed as long as you have Jurys with morons on it giving outlandish amounts in hopes they will get a windfall if they sue in the future. Just allowing sales across State borders would increase competition(isn't that the argument for Govt Insurance?). Each State dreams up its own list of mandatory coverage, teamed up with no cross border sales creates inefficientcies.

Simple answer is that gas is cheap because your economy is screwed and companies will only pay so much for a barrel of oil, gas prices started going down the day the economy started going down and one of the first signs of a recovery will be gas prices going up.

Basically supply and demand is how the commodities market functions.

Going back to mmarsh's comments....where does it say anything about buying health insurance from Wal-Mart? It was talking about Wal-Mart (& other box stores) setting up health CLINICS that people who don't have doctors can go to for relatively cheap care vs tying up expensive time in Emergency Rooms.

Going back to mmarsh's comments....where does it say anything about buying health insurance from Wal-Mart? It was talking about Wal-Mart (& other box stores) setting up health CLINICS that people who don't have doctors can go to for relatively cheap care vs tying up expensive time in Emergency Rooms.

Would you trust the guy from Electronics to take your blood pressure?

Would you trust the guy from Electronics to take your blood pressure?
One of Wal-Marts goals is to be the biggest bank in the country. I don't think the guys from electronics will be working there either. (I know, sometime it's just too easy to take a cheap shot @ Wal-Mart)

One of Wal-Marts goals is to be the biggest bank in the country. I don't think the guys from electronics will be working there either. (I know, sometime it's just too easy to take a cheap shot @ Wal-Mart)

That very statement should be self-evident why going to WalMart for Healthcare is a bad idea. Do you really want a bank to be managing your health? They are worse than insurence companies. And its fair to take a shot at Walmart as their corporate policies in the past have been questionable at best.

Id rather have a vampire take my blood pressure, at least its motives are clear...

If this Bill is so great & urgently needed, why doesn't it kick in fairly quickly instead of in 2013 just after the next Presidential Election?

As long as the insurance industry is the number one money contributor to the Washington DC pipeline .. (Senators, Congressmen, television and radio ads) ... there will be NO meaningful changes made to the healthcare industry. To start with, there needs to be tort reform to decrease the outrageous awards from litigious trials.

I am NOT in favor of an enclosure that keeps ANYONE from filing a lawsuit ... I AM against these monstrous awards that have resulted from lawsuits.

There also needs to be meaningful cuts in useless and un-needful medical tests and procedures. There is so much duplication of tests, that the savings would be over 100 million dollars a year.

These are JUST two areas that need to be addressed.

If folks like you (George) didn't get in the way so much, things might move along a little faster. But by getting in the way, you only give them reasons/excuses to delay it. I guess President Obama and his crew think that this will take a lot longer than simply the time they have left in office to deal with.

If folks like you (George) didn't get in the way so much, things might move along a little faster. But by getting in the way, you only give them reasons/excuses to delay it. I guess President Obama and his crew think that this will take a lot longer than simply the time they have left in office to deal with.
I suspect they don't want it to take effect in 09/10 because the people would know what a turkey they bought beforethe 2012 election.

That's true once a program in enacted it becomes entrenched. The potential cost of this government insurance plan on top of what he's spending in Iraq and A'stan is staggering. I haven't heard where the money's coming from for this health care reform plan.

That's true once a program in enacted it becomes entrenched. The potential cost of this government insurance plan on top of what he's spending in Iraq and A'stan is staggering. I haven't heard where the money's coming from for this health care reform plan.

Repealing the Bush Tax Cuts, eliminating HMO subsides in Medicare, taxing revenues from the HMO and Drug companies. Furthermore Bush's war in Iraq will be coming to an end in 2011 and that will be saving us a bundle.

Last edited:
Back