Obama Dons Wristband For Soldier

Team Infidel

Forum Spin Doctor
Tampa Tribune
February 17, 2008
EAU CLAIRE, Wis. - Barack Obama is wearing a wristband in memory of a soldier killed in Iraq, given to him by a mother who said she wants the Democratic presidential candidate to keep others from dying.
Tracy Jopek of Merrill, Wis., gave Obama the bracelet at a rally Friday night in Green Bay, and Obama was still wearing it Saturday as he campaigned across the state before Tuesday's primary.
The bracelet has her son's name, Sgt. Ryan David Jopek, and the date the 20-year-old was killed in Iraq by a roadside bomb, Aug. 2, 2006. "All gave some - He gave all," it says.
"She gave me this wristband, which I'm very grateful for," Obama told the Green Bay audience, halting and lowering his voice from his normally upbeat presentation. "I meet mothers and family members all over the country who are still mourning their children but are also thinking about the young men and women who are still over there and wondering when it will end."
Obama has not made a point of showing it to reporters or others on the campaign trail. A campaign staff member described it as black metal band with silver lettering.
Like Obama, Jopek said she was against the war from the start.
--Associated Press

Back