Obama Announces '08 Run

Anyway Obama, I knew Jack Kennedy. Jack Kennedy was a friend of mine. Senator, you ain't no Jack Kennedy.

I'd like to point out that if the Priest is 41 years old, as listed in his Profile, then the Priest did not know JFK, and JFK was not a friend to the Milforum Chaplain, thank God.

Gator, I believe he was quoting Lloyd Bentsen. Apparently I'm the only one who watched I Love the 80's: 1988 last weekend.

Gator, I believe he was quoting Lloyd Bentsen. Apparently I'm the only one who watched I Love the 80's: 1988 last weekend.

Well, my mistake then, but it doesn't read like he was quoting anyone, except himself.
I'll also point out that Senator Bentsen died in May 2006, so, I doubt Senator Bentsen said such about or to Senator Obama regarding any bid Senator Obama may have or planned to have for the White House.
And, finally, I rememeber the original statement from Senator Bentsen, clear back in 1988, as it happened.

Damien, you have demonstrated that you are an educated man who understands the use of pun.

pun
premium.gif
thinsp.png
/pʌn/Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[puhn]Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciationnoun, verb, punned, pun·ning.
–noun 1.the humorous use of a word or phrase so as to emphasize or suggest its different meanings or applications, or the use of words that are alike or nearly alike in sound but different in meaning; a play on words. 2.the word or phrase used in this way. –verb (used without object) 3.to make puns.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Senator,_you_are_no_Jack_Kennedy

Last edited:
My earlier statement was supposed to say "Apparently I'm not the only one who watched I Love the 80's" sorry about that typo, I meant no hostility with my statement.

Well, my mistake then, but it doesn't read like he was quoting anyone, except himself.
I'll also point out that Senator Bentsen died in May 2006, so, I doubt Senator Bentsen said such about or to Senator Obama regarding any bid Senator Obama may have or planned to have for the White House.
And, finally, I rememeber the original statement from Senator Bentsen, clear back in 1988, as it happened.

Gator, do you at least now understand - perhaps not enjoy - but at least understand my pun which was paraphrasing Llyod Bentsen's famous retort to Dan Quale in 1988 and using it against Obama? Some on this board have reasonably said that Obama's relative young age and political inexperience shouldn't count against him for 2008 because if JFK could do it in 1960 then so can Obama - an argument made by Dan Quale - albeit only for the Vice Presidency - in a TV debate with Bentsen to which Bentsen gave his famous reply?

Now I can't explain it any better and readers such as Damien435 got the pun straight away.

If you don't/can't, then I have to wonder if you are as old as your profile says - and perhaps you were in nappies in 1988 or perhaps that you are simply a person who is mentally challenged shall we say?

Post Script.

Kennedy was a traitor to what he stood for. He left Brigada 2506 to die on the beaches of Cuba. Also, both Clinton and Obama are communist in American Clothing. McCain and Giuliana are to liberal for my tastes.

Post Script.

Kennedy was a traitor to what he stood for. He left Brigada 2506 to die on the beaches of Cuba. Also, both Clinton and Obama are communist in American Clothing. McCain and Giuliana are to liberal for my tastes.

steady on, whilst President Kennedy took full responsibility for that - he did sign off on it - nevertheless its organisation was botched in multiple ways by the CIA and office-holders from the Eisenhower Administration that passed on the plot to the Kennedy Administration which was then only three months old (April 1961).

But Kennedy was the one who decided at the last minute to withdraw American air support for Cubans so when they hit the beaches they were totally exposed with no cover fire.

I still think the only reason Kennedy is considered a great president is because he was assassinated in office. Let's not forget that the week after Kennedy died Congress was going to start viewing evidence into illegal doings by Kennedy and possibly impeach him, but those plans were cancelled when Kennedy was killed.

Here's the thing, I haven't said this yet because it makes me sound like a racist, but way back in freshman civics we learned that there were two types of rules to becoming President, written and unwritten. One of the unwritten rules was broken by Kennedy, that rule was that only Protestants could be President. Two unwritten rules are working against the Democrats in this primary, Hillary is a woman (unwritten rule: Only men can be elected President) and Barack Obama is black (unwritten rule: Only whites can be elected President) now I am not saying that these rules are right or that I follow them, I am just saying that they are there and that in some places they are real. IMO the Democrats need to win at least one southern state in order to win the Presidency, I have a hard time seeing Hillary, Obama or Lieberman doing this, Edwards possibly (but he's been out of office for two years now and his whole "Anti-Wal Mart" thing annoys a lot of people.) and maybe Al Gore (he's from Tennessee, right?) but I don't think he is running. One huge positive thing about putting Obama in the White House is that it would throw Al Qaeda and Iran a huge spin when a man with a very Arabic name is suddenly their counterpart in the War on Terror.

Damien435

Actually I think what you said is a fact. I said exactly the same thing on another thread. I think certain areas of our society are not ready to accept a non-Christian or a women or a black person as president. Even if that person were a female African-American Jewish version of Abraham Lincoln.

Just look a Mitt Romney, he's Republican, Conservative, and a church goer and already the evangelists are saying they would never vote for a Mormon.

Somepeople in the ringwingland media have tried to make a big deal because Barack Obama's middle neme is 'Hussein'. Which in Arabic means 'enlightened one' and is as common as "Smith" is in the U.S. And I also agree that putting some with a Islamic name would do wonders to the US image abroad.

The comment you said about Edwards, I think just the opposite, I think people WILL listen, because people around the world are scared of big business and Globalization. And frankly because people on the bottom on minimum wage are tired of being squeezed by the Billionaires at the top like the Waltons.

If Edwards goes around telling people he is going to raise the wages of those minimum wage workers who work for BILLION DOLLAR companies, thats going to make him very popular in blue collar America. And Even certain area of White Collar America like it too, because blue-collar people with money in their pocket are going to spend it (stocks go up).

No, I think its a good strategy.

Last edited:
To bad most people already make well over minimum wage and that most states minimum wages are already higher than the federal....It is more PR BS from our lovely _______ (be creative)

I think it is far to early to see how the election is going to go or even who is going to get involved right now it just seems like a Media event. It is like they are trying to make it into a sitcom or Hollywood movie....sweet

To bad most people already make well over minimum wage and that most states minimum wages are already higher than the federal....It is more PR BS from our lovely _______ (be creative)

I think it is far to early to see how the election is going to go or even who is going to get involved right now it just seems like a Media event. It is like they are trying to make it into a sitcom or Hollywood movie....sweet

Donkey

The average wage at WalMart is $8.23 an hour, true thats not minimum wage but its pretty damn bad. Its especially bad when that same company posted a $240 Billion in 2003.

From Walmarts own financial statements. From Q3 2006 they posted $83 Billion.

http://www.walmartfacts.com/featuredtopics/?id=7

Does that seem fair to you? Not mention the fact they don't give any benefits to their workers either. Is it any wonder they want to unionize?

I don't know how it is in other towns/cities but at the two Wal Marts at home it seems that almost 2/3 of the staff is in high school and at the one here in Brookings it seems like 90% of the staff is in college. Working at Wal Mart is a job, not a career, a career should have competitive pay and benefits, not a job. And for the record, I do have a part time job during school and a full time job during summer and by no means do I think I am entitled to benefits at either job. If you're going to talk about the evil Wal Mart be sure to mention that Wal Mart employs 1.3 million Americans. Oh, and if people hated Wal Mart so bad they wouldn't be shopping there en masse and Wal Mart wouldn't be posting these huge profits, which are usually reinvested into the company and spread amongst the stock holders. Furthermore Wal Mart employees get a discount on everything at Wal Mart except electronics, and when a person can buy everything at Wal Mart those savings add up.

Well I lived in Richmond, Indiana for 4 years. And there too, there were 2 Walmarts. But most of the people there were Middle aged who had come from small business backgrounds. They were all locals. The reason was Walmart put the small businesss of Richmond out of business, because they could undersell any small business. Working at Walmart was the only job these people had, which meant the company to pay whatever wages they wanted.

BTW, In NYC where I am from, we don't have Walmart but we do have COSTCO. COSTCO is only on the East Coast (I believe) but it is essentially the same type of store as Walmart. The difference is that COSTCO puts benefits to its customers and employees BEFORE its stockholders. The average wage at COSTCO at $17 an Hour.

http://reclaimdemocracy.org/articles_2004/costco_employee_benefits_walmart.html

Costco vs. Wal-Mart
Comparing some workplace statistics, as reported by the companies.

Employees covered by company health insurance
Costco 82%
Wal-Mart 48%

Insurance-enrollment waiting periods (for part-time workers)
Costco 6 months
Wal-Mart 2 years

Portion of health-care premium paid by company
Costco 92%
Wal-Mart 66%

Annual worker turnover rate
Costco 24%
Wal-Mart 50%

Not to mention, all the times Walmart has been sued for discrimination, illegal labor practices (like not paying overtime), for running sweatshops, etc... I simply don't understand why you would want to defend a business that EXPLOITS its workers. Since Companies like Walmart won't treat its employees accordingly, they should be MADE to by the Government.

Never underestimate Big Businesses greed.

Last edited:
Barak Hussein Obama's parents were muslim, he was muslim until he met his wife and he converted to marry her. He is a marked man. According to the Qu'uran he is to be killed. IT would NOT do our nation any good whatso****ingever. In their eyes now the great Satan would have the leader proving their point that we are all unworthy of life. It would be a rallying call cementing them to action against us.

Educate your ****ing selves for Christ's sake.
(No pun intended)

You get paid for what work you do. If billionaires paid their cleaners 100k a year then everyone would want to become a cleaner.

Back