numbering system

RAF Fighter Command was divided up into 10 Group (West Country and South Wales) 11 Group (South East England including London), 12 Group (The Midlands and East Anglia of England) 13 Group (North of England and Scotland).

11 Group bore the brunt of enemy attacks during the Battle of Britain.

I've been down the famous control bunker, at Uxbridge, a couple of times.
It has a small Museum as well.
I'm not sure what will happen to it now, as the base, is turning into a massive housing estate.

How did bomb groups and fighter groups get numbered during WW2?

Are you talking about US groups or the RAF as well?

I have no idea about US groups but the RAF used different number for foreign an commonwealth squadrons from that of British squadrons.
For example Australian squadrons made up squadrons 450 to 467 and New Zealand was 485 to 490.

These were units that served with in the RAF and separate to 75 Squadron RNZAF which also took part in the Battle of Britain.

I've been down the famous control bunker, at Uxbridge, a couple of times.
It has a small Museum as well.
I'm not sure what will happen to it now, as the base, is turning into a massive housing estate.

Like Hendon. When I was there in 1970 there's was very little of it left. Bloody governments destroy history.

I can't remember the exact date, but around 1968 Fighter Command and Bomber Command amalgamated to become Strike Command, Transport Command became Air Support Command.

Last edited:
During WW1 the squadrons were number as they were formed to start with and many of them still carry those numbers today

Back