Are nukes a good thing or a bad thing?

Ah well back to sticks and stones. does it matter they all will kill you just the same, the only thing is it takes a bit longer

Well with Anti missile systems getting more advanced as time goes on, i think Nuclear weapons will become less of a threat for western powers. Nuclear missiles have kept the world stable during the Cold War, but with a totally changed world... Anything could happen with nuclear weapons.

Kilgore said:
Well with Anti missile systems getting more advanced as time goes on, i think Nuclear weapons will become less of a threat for western powers. Nuclear missiles have kept the world stable during the Cold War, but with a totally changed world... Anything could happen with nuclear weapons.

Stable? We got to within a whisker of World War III while Kennedy and Krushchev played chicken with each other during the Cuban crisis!

And as far as the anti missile system (formerly known as Star Wars(?)) I think good ole Darth's words said it best "Don't overestimate the power of this technological marvel.." God help the world if they ever have to use it.

It was nuclear weapons that kept the cuban crisis from going to a full blown war really. Both nations didn't wish to be obliterated into nuclear wastelands. Then again nuclear weapons started the crisis.

Kilgore said:
It was nuclear weapons that kept the cuban crisis from going to a full blown war really. Both nations didn't wish to be obliterated into nuclear wastelands. Then again nuclear weapons started the crisis.

That's the point many people seem to forgetting... The Cold War wouldn't have turned "hot" with the absence of nuclear weapons, it just wouldn't been Cold in the first place. Nukes were the only reason MAD was taken into account.

ISLANDFOX said:
Kilgore said:

That's the point many people seem to forgetting... The Cold War wouldn't have turned "hot" with the absence of nuclear weapons, it just wouldn't been Cold in the first place. Nukes were the only reason MAD was taken into account.

Good point. Besides, creating such a dangerous weapon just in order to scare the enemy doesn´t make much sense in my eyes. One day your enemy will have this weapon as well and then both of the parts will be scared. It is known that taking stupid decisions is very common when you are scared. May be one day we will also see "Preventive nuclears attacks"

Back