The "Nuclear Football"

KAMIKAZI

I was wondering is it true that the US president and the Russian President both have a suitcase which was brought about in the Cold War with the supposed documents about how to act in an national emergency and how to get in contact with the Pentagon (or Russian equivalent) and launch a Nuclear Missile strike with their consent?

All of the nukes could only be ARMED by the President and/or Secretary General. Launching the ICBM's would have still been possible but the warheads would have been no more harmful that a chunk of metal falling from space and possible radiation from the thing being torn appart by impact. They would not have detonated in other words.

The President of the United States is always shadowed by a commissioned memeber of the armed services who carries a black briefcase which is the Nuclear Football.

I saw a programme you see, which was about it and as you say he had a armed guard carrying it whereever he goes, same with Russia.

Im not sure, I think its called something else like an "emergency Satchual." the reson its called 'football' is I think (dont quote me on this) that the 2 nukes on Japan were called "drop kicks" by nick name so the "football" came into nickname for a thing that supposedly launched nukes

Back