NTC Fort Irwin

Doc.S

The National Training Center Fort Irwin south eastern California located in the Mohavi Desert south of Death Valley have to be the location of US best mechanized units in the whole US army? Are there any units from Fort Irwins OPFOR forces down in Iraq or have they been there? I was watching a documentary that shows the OPFOR forces in action involved in Mock battles with an visiting force. The heart of the center- nickname the Star Wars Building- I was greatly impressed of. And not only that. The large amount of Vismod vehicles that the OPFOR was using that simulate the Bulk of the Russian armoured forces. Here is a list of vehicles I saw.

BMP-1 Vismod
T-72 Vismod
ZSU-23-4 Vismod
BRDM-2 Vismod

In the documentary they say that the OPFOR forces are conducting relentless training and conducting mock battles weak after weak in the Mohavi desert. Anyone out here who has been at Fort Irwing? Conducted any mock battles with or against the OPFOR forces? That have to been an experiance for a lifetime. And a little question.

After the Iraqi defeat it seems like Iraq will have new tanks that exchange their tank forces from the T-72s/M-84A and the older T-55s and other armoured vehicles to lighter armoured tanks/vehicles as the US built M60A3-TTS. The tank forces left in Iraq will they maby be an part in a even more realistic Vismod unit for the OPFOR forces in Fort Irwin maby?

I was playing with the thought what would happend if the OPFOR guys got some Russian built real equipment for themselfe and what they could do with the old tanks on a modern battlefield. :rambo:

Cheers:
Doc.S

:viking:

I have been to Ft Irwin more times than I wanted to be. We can only hope that they do use this for training as well. NTC is a great learning experience whether you are light infantry or mechanized. The support units don't really do much there but we get to see what it is like to really need them and they aren't ready for us due to the fact that it might interfere with their beauty sleep :) . No offense support personnel.

:lol: That is really cool man.... I was impressed of the NTC training facility and the men working there. If I was an american and I was in the military that would be a nice spot to be posted. Driving around with vismods and doing mock battles against visiting forces with OPFOR tactics. I really hope that NTC got those "obsolite" vehicles that US/GB with allies have captured for even more realistic vismod battles. I got the impression of NTC to be one of the most importent training facilitys for light and mechanized infantry in combined arms tactics in the whole US. :D

Cheers:
Doc.S

:viking:

Back