NPR Fires Juan Williams

Actually I think NPR was wrong - reasons are:

1. This was an edited link, which cut short, before you got to see him pulling this and other statements together to put across his main point that Americans need to be aware of other cultures, but not afraid of them, more importantly to look outside of their usual information sources for perspective.
2. Juan Williams was employed as an analyst - this involves personal and group perspective, but an analyst ultimately highlights their "hot button" subjects - all the while expressing their opinion.

As with all news sources - variety is best, but we all tend to fall into a habit - I have been trying to break myself of this by watching Fox, not becuase I'm moving my views, but I need to re-visit their reporting having seen a lot of SH 1 T fron them before - my opinion is still pending.

You conveniently left out your sarcastic emoticons including the rolling eyes (an extremely common indication of sarcasm), a smiley mimicking suicide by gunshot to the head, and a laughing smiley. Forgive me if I thought you were mocking MY ideals with YOUR sarcasm.
I left the emoticons out when I realized that although you are in college you still get distracted by pictures when you should be reading the text.

I left the emoticons out when I realized that although you are in college you still get distracted by pictures when you should be reading the text.
You do realize that the very reason emoticons exist is to convey an emotion that someone would be otherwise incapable of expressing through text alone, right?

If I say "Yes, all news broadcasting should be fair and balanced. :roll:"

Those rolled eyes would most likely imply my being sarcastic in my previous statement, as that is what action I would perform after saying something sarcastically.

Christ, you would make a good lawyer, Chukpike.

Looks to me like MontyB did not believe NPR wanted to be fair and unbiased.

I supplied the link he requested showing that NPRs ethics calls for fair and unbiased reporting.

My statement: "Ummmmm, supposedly all news reporting should be fair and unbiased." says that I believe all news reporting should be fair and unbiased, that should not be hard for even you to understand.:roll:

Not quite true I said NPR do not claim to be "fair and balanced" and you have confirmed this in that they only claim to try to be fair, unbiased, accurate, complete and honest.

There is no Fair and Balanced as that is the FOX tag line which everyone seems to be trying to attribute to the media as a whole, hell I can be fair, unbiased, accurate, complete and honest without ever telling you the whole story.

Not quite true I said NPR do not claim to be "fair and balanced" and you have confirmed this in that they only claim to try to be fair, unbiased, accurate, complete and honest.

You obviously can't read as NPRs Ethics code states:

III. Statement of principles
Our coverage must be fair, unbiased, accurate, complete and honest. At NPR we are expected to conduct ourselves in a manner that leaves no question about our independence and fairness.

THAT IS NOT TRY!

It amplifies must by saying: "At NPR we are expected to conduct ourselves in a manner that leaves no question about our independence and fairness."

So MontyB do you see the word try anywhere in NPRs statement of principals?

There is no Fair and Balanced as that is the FOX tag line which everyone seems to be trying to attribute to the media as a whole, hell I can be fair, unbiased, accurate, complete and honest without ever telling you the whole story.

Real journalism and why the press enjoys some special protections is because they are all supposed to adhere to "fair and balanced".

This is not something new, it is central to the Fifth Estate. FOX may use "fair and balanced" as a tag line but it is not exclusive to FOX.

Are you insinuating that the press in your country does not have the same standards of Fair and Balanced?

"hell I can be fair, unbiased, accurate, complete and honest without ever telling you the whole story." MontyB

No, MontyB you can't be because you used the word complete. If you don't tell the whole story it is not complete, and you are not being accurate or fair.

True journalism is Who, What, Where, When, And How.
There is no why, because why would allow for opinion.

Back