Now we know: the top ten greatest ever tanks of all time

--

December 22nd, 2005  
CanadianCombat

Topic: Now we know: the top ten greatest ever tanks of all time

Well according to the Discovery Channel the top ten greatest ever tanks of all time are:

1-Leopard 2
2-M1A1 Abrams
3-T-34
4-Merkava
5-Centurion
6-S Tank
7-T-72
8-Panther
9-M-551A1 Sheridan
10-Sherman

so its official
December 22nd, 2005  
sunb!

I miss The Challenger on that list.
December 22nd, 2005  
Desert_Eagle

I fully expected the T-34 to be on the list. Whenever I read a WWII history book it always proclaims it to be the best tank of the war because of its ruggedness and slanted armor.
--
December 22nd, 2005  
CanadianCombat

Desert Eagle..........ARE YOU BLIND. Look at spot NUMBER 3. The T-34 is there buddy.
December 22nd, 2005  
Doppleganger

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianCombat
Well according to the Discovery Channel the top ten greatest ever tanks of all time are:

1-Leopard 2
2-M1A1 Abrams
3-T-34
4-Merkava
5-Centurion
6-S Tank
7-T-72
8-Panther
9-M-551A1 Sheridan
10-Sherman

so its official
Sounds like the same programme I saw earlier this year - the ratings are identical. I don't agree with the Sherman being at No 10. Just because something is easy to make and is reliable, that doesn't change the fact it was a mediocre design.
December 22nd, 2005  
MightyMacbeth

what about the M1A2 Abrahams?
December 22nd, 2005  
Missileer

I'd personally say the German Tiger I & II should be there somewhere. The King Tiger was the ultimate tank in WWII but didn't see action until 1944.
December 22nd, 2005  
mmarsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missileer
I'd personally say the German Tiger I & II should be there somewhere. The King Tiger was the ultimate tank in WWII but didn't see action until 1944.
I disagree, their manoeverabilty was poor as was their relibility. I would image the poll takes all things into account. Relability, Speed, Menueverability, Armor and Firepower. I agree with Doppleganger I dont the the Sherman should be on the list, I would have put the Renault R-1 in that list somewhere. I surprised they didnt included any WWI tanks. I also disagree with the inclusion of the T-72, I think the T-64 was better. I knew a Russian tank commander who said he far preferred the T-64 when he was with the Red Army. Also the British Challenger 2 and the M-24 Chafee, probably the best light tank ever built.
December 22nd, 2005  
MightyMacbeth

oh yes, the Koengistiger if i am not mistaken.. remarkable..

anyway, why isnt the M1A2 Abraham there?
December 23rd, 2005  
deerslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missileer
Yes, I was wondering where the Tiger was. Strange that they would omit that.