Now we know: the top ten greatest ever tanks of all time

Mohmar Deathstrike said:
Is it normal for RPG rounds to bounce off a Merkava tank's armor rather than explode or is that just what happens to duds?

If you are referring the to first hit it wasnt an RPG it was either an AT-3 or AT-4. I dont think it was a dud, I think the part bouncing away if the rocket motor.

LeEnfield 2 said:
I wonder just how many times we will see the same thread, we spent most of last year talking about this and I managed to upset a number of people by posting photo's of all the Abraham tanks that had been knocked out by RPG's
[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]Shortly before dawn on Aug. 28, an M1A1 Abrams tank on routine patrol in Baghdad “was hit by something” that crippled the 69-ton behemoth.[/FONT] [FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]Army officials still are puzzling over what that “something” was.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]According to an unclassified Army report, the mystery projectile punched through the vehicle’s skirt and drilled a pencil-sized hole through the hull. The hole was so small that “my little finger will not go into it,” the report’s author noted.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]The “something” continued into the crew compartment, where it passed through the gunner’s seatback, grazed the kidney area of the gunner’s flak jacket and finally came to rest after boring a hole 1½ to 2 inches deep in the hull on the far side of the tank. [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]As it passed through the interior, it hit enough critical components to knock the tank out of action. That made the tank one of only two Abrams disabled by enemy fire during the Iraq war and one of only a handful of “mobility kills” since they first rumbled onto the scene 20 years ago. The other Abrams knocked out this year in Iraq was hit by an RPG-7, a rocket-propelled grenade.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]Experts believe whatever it is that knocked out the tank in August was not an RPG-7 but most likely something new — and that worries tank drivers.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]
Source

[/FONT] The U.S. Army has been at a loss to identify a mystery projectile that penetrated an M1A1 Abrams tank late last year. The round created a pencil-thin entry hole, injured some of the crew inside with limited spalling, and came to a rest in the far side of the hull, after boring a 1.5-2"-deep hole through it.
As it passed through the interior of the tank, the projectile, along with its spalling effect, took out enough critical components to disable the M1A1 Abrams tank. Since the start of the war, only two M1A1 Abrams tanks have been taken out of commission by enemy fire, and this was one of them.
So, what caused the damage? Prevailing theory is that it was either a...

PG-7VR round fired from an RPG-7V launcher, or one of a number of RPG-22 rounds. The RPG-22 is a newer, disposable launcher, developed by the Russians. According to John Roos', who wrote a story about the incident in "Army Times", the experts studying the incident apparently think that the most likely culprit was some kind of improved RPG-22 round, made in either Switzerland or Russia.

Source

Last edited:
zander_0633 said:
Well, this proves that the formidable M1A1 Abrams can be disabled!

No one said it couldn't been disabled. If you read the report posted www.fprado.com/armorsite/US-Field-Manuals/abrams-oif.pdf

The M1 was hit in a non-ballistic track skirt under the turret ring where the round penetrated into the Hydraulic Reservoir.

No tank is unstoppable, eventhe CHally 2 has a weakness, just give it time. The M1 has served in three serprate wars.

102303tank02.jpg

http://www.armytimes.com/content/editorial/editart/102303tank02.jpg

Last edited:
Cadet Seaman said:
No one said it couldn't been disabled. If you read the report posted www.fprado.com/armorsite/US-Field-Manuals/abrams-oif.pdf

The M1 was hit in a non-ballistic track skirt under the turret ring where the round penetrated into the Hydraulic Reservoir.

No tank is unstoppable, eventhe CHally 2 has a weakness, just give it time. The M1 has served in three serprate wars.
As I said in the other thread. This incident happened AFTER the report was published. The side hull of the Abrams has about 600mm of CE protection. The weapon was most likely an RPG-22 or 29, which can get 600-800mm of penetration like the articles said.
Well, this proves that the formidable M1A1 Abrams can be disabled!
Well no shit. Every tank can be destroyed.

Last edited:
Well Cadet Seaman, I don't see it being an RPG round or anything like that. You never know whats out there. You can't find everything on the internet or in books.

My first thought were that it must have been a high caliber AP round from some sort of anti-armor rifle that would have a recoil like no other. But, a .50 AP round can penetrate two inches of steel and still kill who/what is on the other side, if memory serves me correct 2.54cm = 1 inch, so 40mm = 1.57inches. I think it is possible, if not probably, that this is what happens.

Kind of far reaching example but parts from the plane that hit the Pentagon on 9/11 drilled a hole 36 inches wide through the fourth or third ring of the Pentagon yet no trace of those parts were found because they disinegrated. Weird stuff happens when you get that much force behind an object. It can do some major damage. Also keep in mind that a tornado contains so much force that it can send a piece of hay through the trunk of a tree and 2 X 4's through several inches of concrete. Physics is very hard to understand at times.

Koz said:
As I said in the other thread. This incident happened AFTER the report was published. The side hull of the Abrams has about 600mm of CE protection. The weapon was most likely an RPG-22 or 29, which can get 600-800mm of penetration like the articles said.
Well no shit. Every tank can be destroyed.

The round didn't enter the side of the turret busell, it penetrated a non-skirt and came in through the back of the engine compartment, right where the balsted Hydraulic Reservoir is, and no armor.

Last edited:
CanadianCombat said:
Well Cadet Seaman, I don't see it being an RPG round or anything like that. You never know whats out there. You can't find everything on the internet or in books.

Very true, but when I only live 2 miles from Ft.Knox and the Patton Meseum of Armor I have somewhat of a source, but thats beside the point.

Anyhow, this thing has puzzled the shit out of all the tankers and historians I've spoken too.

Cadet Seaman said:
The round didn't enter the side of the turret busell, it penetrated a non-skirt and came in through the back of the engine compartment, right where the balsted Hydraulic Reservoir is, and no armor.

Yeah, that was the first incident

IN A DIFFERENT INCIDENT, something penetrated the crew compartment, injuring the TC and gunner. two different times

Koz said:
Yeah, that was the first incident

IN A DIFFERENT INCIDENT, something penetrated the crew compartment, injuring the TC and gunner. two different times

Do you have proof? From all the blog's, info sites and forums I've been on, I've only heard of a single incident on an M1 being penetrated.

Back