Now we know: the top ten greatest ever tanks of all time

zander_0633 said:
CAn it shoot at close range?
Yes, the coaxial is a machine gun that can be aimed and fired from within the tank. It has the same capabilites and limitations as a infantryman with a big machine gun does. It doesn't always have a 360 degree firing radius, depending upon where it is mounted on the tank.

prolific said:
Why wasnt the challenger 2 included on the show? Its the best protected tank in NATO and possible the world!
Probably because the Challenger II makes a substantial sacrifice in speed and mobility for its superior protection. If you have only one MBT, its very important to combine getting there first with getting there alive. That's really the only down side to the Challenger II, but its a pretty big one in my opinion.

godofthunder9010 said:
Yes, the coaxial is a machine gun that can be aimed and fired from within the tank. It has the same capabilites and limitations as a infantryman with a big machine gun does. It doesn't always have a 360 degree firing radius, depending upon where it is mounted on the tank.

Probably because the Challenger II makes a substantial sacrifice in speed and mobility for its superior protection. If you have only one MBT, its very important to combine getting there first with getting there alive. That's really the only down side to the Challenger II, but its a pretty big one in my opinion.

The coaxial is not mountable, it's a stationary weapon next to the main gun.

Cadet Seaman said:
The coaxial is not mountable, it's a stationary weapon next to the main gun.

Presuming he means the actual location of the gun, not where you glue it on in battle :mrgreen:

And yes it would be as still as the main gun, but you do have atleast one more ontop of the turret thats independent of the turret.

Well, All we need to do is to trap the tank in a small lane, then we can shoot RPG at it from all directions and destroy it!

zander_0633 said:
Well, All we need to do is to trap the tank in a small lane, then we can shoot RPG at it from all directions and destroy it!

Assuming the tank is stupid enough to do that and the supporting infantry and other tanks let you get close enough to do that.

What Chechen rebels used to do is fire an RPG at the first and last vehicles of a Russian column to immobilize it. Then snipers and machine gunners would mop up any infantry that stuck their heads out of their APCs.

I wonder just how many times we will see the same thread, we spent most of last year talking about this and I managed to upset a number of people by posting photo's of all the Abraham tanks that had been knocked out by RPG's

Back