Now we know: the top ten greatest ever tanks of all time - Page 5

--

December 26th, 2005  
Kozzy Mozzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadet Seaman
I wouldn't bet on it. The Russian made Sabot's just stick in the M1's DU coated CHobham like arrow's (Proven in ODS).

No question about the Chally 2 being hit by a CHARM 1 by another CHally 2.

The Merkava facing the lovly Palisteinian owned T-72's.
The new russian sabots would have quite a different effect.
December 26th, 2005  
FO Seaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexKall
Simulated? Did you read all I posted?
Yas, that a couple of German Leo 2A5's where attacked by RPG's and at least one tank.
December 26th, 2005  
FO Seaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koz
The new russian sabots would have quite a different effect.
I guess that why the M1A2 has 100m more armor than the older M1A1's.
--
December 27th, 2005  
Kozzy Mozzy

Quote:
I guess that why the M1A2 has 100m more armor than the older M1A1's.
I would still say they could penetrate at 1-1.5km
December 27th, 2005  
godofthunder9010

The big flaw that I'm seeing with both of the lists in this thread: Too much effort is put forward to try to include two tanks that probably do not merit a place in the "All-Time Top Ten Tanks" list: The Sheridan and the Sherman. The Centurion is also kindof questionable.
December 27th, 2005  
Kozzy Mozzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010
The big flaw that I'm seeing with both of the lists in this thread: Too much effort is put forward to try to include two tanks that probably do not merit a place in the "All-Time Top Ten Tanks" list: The Sheridan and the Sherman. The Centurion is also kindof questio nable.
Yeah, the sheridan was a piece of shit. Go over to tank-net and read Dwight Pruitts post's if you want to hear horror stories involving that thing/
December 27th, 2005  
godofthunder9010

I think we have enough collective knowledge about tanks to build a better top ten list. Here's a tentative list:

10.) T-72 - Excellent for its generation of tanks.
9.) M-60 - Roughly equal to the T-72 in the same generation of tanks.
8.) British WW1 Tank - demonstrated the tank as an effective weapon of war.
7.) Tiger I - Extremely potent and dominant on WW2 battlefield.
6.) Merkava - Amazing in all its version.
5.) M1-A2 Abrams
4.) Leopard 2a6
3.) Panther G - Best German tank of WW2
2.) Panzer IV - Secret of early German success in WW2
1.) T-34 - The big star of the largest clash of tanks in history

Others that should be squeezed in somewhere: Challenger, a couple of Russian heavies from late WW2 that I'm not able to remember right at the moment.
December 27th, 2005  
Doppleganger

Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010
I think we have enough collective knowledge about tanks to build a better top ten list. Here's a tentative list:

10.) T-72 - Excellent for its generation of tanks.
9.) M-60 - Roughly equal to the T-72 in the same generation of tanks.
8.) British WW2 Tank - demonstrated the tank as an effective weapon of war.
7.) Tiger I - Extremely potent and dominant on WW2 battlefield.
6.) Merkava - Amazing in all its version.
5.) M1-A2 Abrams
4.) Leopard 2a6
3.) Panther G - Best German tank of WW2
2.) Panzer IV - Secret of early German success in WW2
1.) T-34 - The big star of the largest clash of tanks in history

Others that should be squeezed in somewhere: Challenger, a couple of Russian heavies from late WW2 that I'm not able to remember right at the moment.
Interesting list but I'm just not sure it's possible to do an overall Top 10 best tanks of all time - there's just too many factors and variables involved. However, for a list to be more meaningful, I guess you could exclude any tank that hasn't seen large-scale combat. Part of a tank's legacy and reputation is forged by what it does in battle. This would mean dropping from any list what I think is probably the best tank ever made, the Leopard 2 A6. It would also mean that none of the other recent tanks with the exception of the M1A2 and Challenger II could be included. I include the Merkava in this because although tested in an urban environment it hasn't seen large-scale tank v tank engagements. I have also elected not to include older tanks such as the Leopard 1 and M60 which I believe also have not seen major active service.

Therefore my list would be as follows. Historical impact plays a big part which explains why the M1A2 isn't 1st:

10.) Centurion Mk III - best immediate post-war tank in the world
9.) T-72 - excellent design hampered by inferior technology
8.) British Mk IV Tank - ushered in a new mode of warfare
7.) IS-2 - the best Soviet tank of WW2 and their 'Tiger-killer'
6.) Panzer IV - the most versatile tank of WW2
5.) Challenger II - so close to the M1 but less mobile
4.) M1A2 Abrams - the best 'proven' tank ever built
3.) Tiger I - the best defensive tank of WW2 - feared by all who faced it
2.) Panther Ausf 'G' - the best overall tank of WW2
1.) T-34 - The most influential tank design in history
December 27th, 2005  
FO Seaman

I am making a list of tanks. These choices aren;t based upon looks or abilities, but upon the ways that changed or effected armor history and will forever be written about.

(1). T-34 (Amazing! Only tank with enough balls to take on the mosterous Tiger ans uniqe armor design.)

(2). Sherman (Amazing! It's ability to be moified and adapt. Had 19 variants and numerous other vehicles utilized it's chassis. Also the huge amounts it was able to be produced.)

(3.) M60A1/A3 (Superb! Apart of the American armor backbone from 1961 to 1993. Serving in Germany, Korea, Bosnia, Kuwait, Iraq, and Veitnam.)

(4.) M1 (Superb! One of the first actual MBT's. State-of-the-art. Helped set the standard for duture MBT's along with it's German brother the Leopard 2, both born from the failed MBT-70 program. also first tank to use Depleted Uramium as armor.)

(5.) Leopard 2 (Superb! Same as the M1, one of the first actual MBT's.Helped set the standard for future MBT's. Both the Leo 2 and M1 share alot of desgin features and technolegy.

(6.)
Centurion (Amazing! The British armor back bone from 1946-1990.)

(7.) Panther G (Superb! One German tank that was mass built and was amazingly durable and well built, as well as it's superb designing.)

(8.) Tiger (Amazing! Changing armor combat forever. This armor beast could tank on six Sherman's at kne time.)

(9.) T-64 (Amazing! First tank in world history to have an auto-loader. A member of the new wave of Russian tanks. Also incorperating advanced multi-layer armor.)

(10). Challenger (Amazing! First tank armored with Chobam A.K.A Dorchester armor, a multiple-layer, composite armor, changing armor on tanks forever.)
December 28th, 2005  
godofthunder9010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger
Interesting list but I'm just not sure it's possible to do an overall Top 10 best tanks of all time - there's just too many factors and variables involved. However, for a list to be more meaningful, I guess you could exclude any tank that hasn't seen large-scale combat. Part of a tank's legacy and reputation is forged by what it does in battle. This would mean dropping from any list what I think is probably the best tank ever made, the Leopard 2 A6. It would also mean that none of the other recent tanks with the exception of the M1A2 and Challenger II could be included. I include the Merkava in this because although tested in an urban environment it hasn't seen large-scale tank v tank engagements. I have also elected not to include older tanks such as the Leopard 1 and M60 which I believe also have not seen major active service.

Therefore my list would be as follows. Historical impact plays a big part which explains why the M1A2 isn't 1st:

10.) Centurion Mk III - best immediate post-war tank in the world
9.) T-72 - excellent design hampered by inferior technology
8.) British Mk IV Tank - ushered in a new mode of warfare
7.) IS-2 - the best Soviet tank of WW2 and their 'Tiger-killer'
6.) Panzer IV - the most versatile tank of WW2
5.) Challenger II - so close to the M1 but less mobile
4.) M1A2 Abrams - the best 'proven' tank ever built
3.) Tiger I - the best defensive tank of WW2 - feared by all who faced it
2.) Panther Ausf 'G' - the best overall tank of WW2
1.) T-34 - The most influential tank design in history
Okay, so based on that qualification, what did the Centurion see for Battlefield use. I ask because I just don't know, but I expect it saw its fair share of the Battlefield. I just don't know a lot of cases where it demonstrated its superiority.

Personally, to squeeze in all those tanks that I feel deserve a lot of mentioning, it would take a "Top 20" list. Please note, fixed the typo on the British MK IV. Regardless, I think my list is a helluva lot better than the Discovery Channel's extremely dubious list. I don't know why you'd leave out the Merkava since it's done more than just Urban and Desert in its time of service. Its a superb design and it really really has proven itself on the field of battle. I think its really pretty sad to have to leave out the Leopard 2a6 and the Merkava. Those are two first-class designs that deserve mentioning.

Quote:
(2). Sherman (Amazing! It's ability to be moified and adapt. Had 19 variants and numerous other vehicles utilized it's chassis. Also the huge amounts it was able to be produced.)
I still must object to the Sherman being given honors anywhere close to the top 10. It was better than some tanks, but it was very poorly protected and too easily killed for me to really like it.

Lets put it this way: You have 30 flavors or horse-crap sandwhich. I have 1 flavor of ham sandwhich. You make 10,000 horse-crap sandwhiches to every 1 ham sandwhich that I make. Is your horse-crap sandwhich better than my ham sandwhich??

This goes farther than I intend, but the Sherman was not a very good tank. Producing an insane number of them or reconfiguring it dozens of ways does not make it magically become a good tank.