Now We Know:The Top Ten Greatest Ever Weapons

Koz said:
In the same way all assault rifles have "the same layout" as the STG. They have completely different internal mechanisms, calibers, and safety systems. The STG was the first assault rifle, from your logic every rifle since is a copy of them.

No, I'm saying is that the AK-47 share more with the STG than what is different.

I'm not bashing the AK's rep. It's a great weapon if you need a cheap, large caliber, study weapon, but it is a close copy of the STG. The sight is even the same.

Cadet Seaman said:
No, I'm saying is that the AK-47 share more with the STG than what is different.

I'm not bashing the AK's rep. It's a great weapon if you need a cheap, large caliber, study weapon, but it is a close copy of the STG. The sight is even the same.

The similarities end at physical appearance. The Stg.44 uses a tilting-bolt action, while the AK-47 uses a rotating bolt. The AK fires a completely different round than the Stg (7.62x39mm instead of 7.92x33mm). Don't be confused by looks.

Zander and koz, the mods will probably tell you this later as well, but please use the edit function of these boards rather than posting multiple times in a row.

Last edited:
Ok, I will try to minimise posting! Look at the two guns, I think the only most prominent parts they have changed is from metal to wood!

c/Commander said:
The similarities end at physical appearance. The Stg.44 uses a tilting-bolt action, while the AK-47 uses a rotating bolt. The AK fires a completely different round than the Stg (7.62x39mm instead of 7.92x33mm). Don't be confused by looks.

Zander and koz, the mods will probably tell you this later as well, but please use the edit function of these boards rather than posting multiple times in a row.

Yes I know. The rotating bolt thend to operate better in rought conditions, and the scaled down ammo doesn't turn the AK into a duck hunters rifle.

But thats the point. If you look at the M60 and MG-42, neither look alike, yet have the same operating system, it's just vise versa fot the AK and STG.

Last edited:
I heard that the allowance for the AKs are more thereby making them better in tough conditions. It also contributes it to be less acurate!

zander_0633 said:
I heard that the allowance for the AKs are more thereby making them better in tough conditions. It also contributes it to be less acurate!

Maybe. The M14 is just as tough if not more and it can take a flea of a rhino's a** at 800m.

Whoa that is great! Good Gun for hunting. Just asking, what would happen if a shot gun is shot through a person's head in close range? Would the head explode? or disintegrate?

zander_0633 said:
Whoa that is great! Good Gun for hunting. Just asking, what would happen if a shot gun is shot through a person's head in close range? Would the head explode? or disintegrate?

Well. I have never seen anyone fire a shotgun at anyone's head, but I have seen plenty of door knobs blown apart to know the head would explode.

zander_0633 said:

The internal parts are given a lot space to move around. This is the exact opposite of most assault rifles

zander_0633 said:
SO the more accurate the rifle, the less psace to move around for the internal parts?

Not necessarily. But the more tight the tolerances are in the rifle the more accurate it is, usually.

OK, then, let's do things a bit differently. I also believe that the Discovery channel's list is difficult to follow because they are comparing such different weapons. So here is my list of the top ten rifles of all time. Tell me what you think, but give GOOD REASONS whay you think that.

1. AK-47
2. M1 Garand
3. Moisin Nagant
4. Lee Enfield SMLE Mark 4
5. FN-FAL
6. MP-44
7. M-16 (later versions only)
8. Walther WA-2000 Sniper Rifle
9. Accuracy International Arctic Warfare .338 Lapua
10. Heckler and Koch G-3

Let the war begin!!!

Dean.

Dean said:
OK, then, let's do things a bit differently. I also believe that the Discovery channel's list is difficult to follow because they are comparing such different weapons. So here is my list of the top ten rifles of all time. Tell me what you think, but give GOOD REASONS whay you think that.

1. AK-47
2. M1 Garand
3. Moisin Nagant
5. FN-FAL
6. MP-44
10. Heckler and Koch G-3

Let the war begin!!!

Dean.

Hey, You did not include MP5! It is a good rifle@!

Dean said:

1. AK-47
2. M1 Garand
3. Moisin Nagant
5. FN-FAL
6. MP-44
10. Heckler and Koch G-3

Let the war begin!!!

Dean.

1-7 are some of the best.

Dean said:

1. AK-47
2. M1 Garand
3. Moisin Nagant
5. FN-FAL
6. MP-44
10. Heckler and Koch G-3

Let the war begin!!!

Dean.

Cadet Seaman said:
1-7 are some of the best.
Number three should be replaced with the Mauser.

Pual mauser designed the most widely issued rifle in the world. The Mosin-Nagant, was not adopted freely by many nations. It was forced down their throats by the Soviet Union.

Most of South America issued a mauser, CHina issued a mauser, most of Europe issued a mauser, eben the USA issued a mauser. The Springfield 1903 rifle was a mauser copy. Infact, before WWI. the Springfield Armory (aka US Government) had to pay Mauser a royalty fee. The Mauser Action is still the most produced design in the world.

Remington Model 700 is a mauser action
Winchester Model 70 is a mauser action
Ruger M77 is a mauser action
The Japanese Arisaka rifle was heavily influenced by Mauser design.

Hell, the H&K G3 is nothing but a copy of the Spanish CETME, which was a design by Mauser employees during WWII.

Number 9 is okay, but it's not the rifle that's good. It's the cartridge. THat should be replaced by the Browning M2 machine gun. Which is still the old serving machine gun in the world.

The only thing about the mosin-nagant, is it's cartridge, which holds the record for being to oldest current serving military caliber. It started life in 1891.

Lee Enfield SMLE Mark 4 was not a major improvement. It was nothing but is simplified Lee Enfield SMLE rifle, also it's action has not been adopted by any other wepaon system.

That should be replaced with the Colt series single action revolvers. It was the first rapid fire firearm to be produced and adopted by a many military powers and civilians.

Number seven should be replaced with the Walter P-38. It was the first massed produced, issued, and adopted double action pistol by a major military power.

Back