Now We Know:The Top Ten Greatest Ever Weapons

sunb! said:
I think the list is a good one, but should have been longer. The Lee Enfield, the Garand, the G3 and so on - so the "top ten" list should be "top twenty" to cover them all.

Nice to see the Boomerang in there never the less.

I often don't understand these so-called list!

there are many rifles and guns that should be put in the list

Most of these lists are based on the impact they had on the battlefield when they were first introduced.

I grant you that sometimes their lists don't make sense to the warriors who had to use weapons in combat.

THEY HAD TO START SOMEWHERE SO THAT YOU AND I CAN AGREE/ARGUE THE FINER POINTS OF THEIR LISTS.

Chief Bones said:
Most of these lists are based on the impact they had on the battlefield when they were first introduced.

I grant you that sometimes their lists don't make sense to the warriors who had to use weapons in combat.

THEY HAD TO START SOMEWHERE SO THAT YOU AND I CAN AGREE/ARGUE THE FINER POINTS OF THEIR LISTS.

off topic but these lists never make sense to me! for instance when they sort "The best songs of the century or 1970s or ...."

I think these lists are nonesense most of the times

:type:

CanadianCombat said:
Don't blame me im just sharing with everyone what is saw on the Discovery Channel.:hide:
I didnt mean that my friend.

I was indeed angry at the media again :drink:

No it isn't. I don't think it was used much in battle. I haven't read anything about battles being decided by boomerangs.

Glad to see you've decided to be the expert on pre-colonial Australian history here.

It wasn't used in any great battles between British settlers and the aboriginals because it was ineffective against redcoats weaponry. But it was used heavily as an effective weapon in battles between aboriginal tribes and also for hunting.

historypic2thm.jpg

WTF!?!?!?!

No MP-40 (First truly massed produced stamped metal weapon)
No M1 Garand (First massed issued semi-auto rifle)
No Mauser 98 (Most produced and adopted rifle and rifle action in the world)
No Browning M2 (First Heavy caliber anti-personal/matriel machine gun)
No Walther P-38 (First Double Action COmbat Pistol issued in large numbers)
No Kentucky Rifle (One of the finest rifled flintlock rifles. Helped in the creation and exploration of America)
No Brown Bess Musket (First massed produced and issued firearm)

WTF Boomerang
WTF Katana

This doesn't exactly qualify as a weapon, but it sure as hell is an important piece of military technology: The tent.

Materials and some of the construction may have changed, but your basic field tent doesn't look all that different from the ones Caesar planned his conquest of Gaule from and that sheltered his legionnaires.

Oh yeah WTF is this?

Boomerang?

Yet no...
Brown Bess
Ma Deuce
Maxim Machine Gun
Atomic Bomb
Napolean Cannon
That recoilless French Cannon from WW1 whose name escapes me.
Sturmgewehr 44!!!!!!

I think we all agree that the Discovery Channel couldn't pull s**t from their a**es, let alone pick out weapons.

Last edited:
ok ok, why the katana? why not the Gladuis or the Longsword?

then also, I dont think martial arts should be number one really...

Also, what about the G3A3?

"ALLTIME BEST" is a huge task. I'm willing to forgive a lot of stupidity. Two additions that should be there:

Stirrup -- Obviously, it is not a weapon in and of itself, but the Stirup allowed mounted warriors much better use of Lances, Spears, etc. It also made it much easier to fire a bow from horseback.

Mongolian Bow -- Made its greatest impact upon the world long before the English Longbow (which is roughly its equal), and was able to punch through Fullplate Armor and had insane range and draw-weight.

Yeah I can see the Katana because of its excellent metalworking... which it is a fantastic piece of technology for its day. But it would seem the Gladius had the much greater impact in the history of warfare. The idea of stabbing from behind armor instead of running out and slashing.

Back