Now we know: the top ten greatest ever tanks of all time - Page 10

--

January 2nd, 2006  
FO Seaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by zander_0633
Nice! Imagine in the middle of the battlefield Artillery comes from the sky, Literally! It would be devastating for the enemy! One moment no artillery, the next they are running away from artillery!
If you read about the Veitnam War, you'll see how the U.S. pioneered the use of air liftable arty.
January 3rd, 2006  
zander_0633

Wad do you mean? DO you mean those used by air drop?
January 3rd, 2006  
FO Seaman

Quote:
Wad do you mean? DO you mean those used by air drop?
Well in 1940 the U.S. Army had a 76mm Pack Howitzer used by paratroopers, but when Vietnam came about the U.S. when on a helo transportable Arty frenzy.

For the larger guns, like the 175mm, the Army had special platform's with telescopic legs that where put in place in the junlge to serve as temporary firebases, everything was helo transportable.

If you read Gen. Tommy Franks book "American Soldier" he goes to explain them to quite an extent.
--
January 3rd, 2006  
zander_0633

So they made artillery very portable in Vietnam war? I thought Vietnam is a heavily forested country? how do they use artillery?
January 3rd, 2006  
FO Seaman

Quote:
So they made artillery very portable in Vietnam war? I thought Vietnam is a heavily forested country? how do they use artillery?
Well they used the special platforms, and in other cases engineer's and Seabee's bulldozed down trees and flatend area's out to make into fire bases. There are also Self-Propeled Arty peice's we used, like the M109 and M110.

Here are some pics of firebases.

January 3rd, 2006  
zander_0633

oh! Nice Pics! Those fire bases, I thought they are constantly under atack from the viet cons?
January 3rd, 2006  
FO Seaman

Quote:
oh! Nice Pics! Those fire bases, I thought they are constantly under atack from the viet cons?
No. Early in Veitnam in the 40's, the Veit Cong learn that they didn't stand a chance fighting a conventional war, exspecially with the U.S backing the French.

Then when we intervened, they had an even harder time fighting conventionally. But in every major battle the U.S. won, the Viet Cong didn't have anything on the U.S other than terror. It was said "Charlie Owned the Night".

But, most of the time they lobbed mortars and RPG's at the bases, then at night would tr and over run the base. Most of the time they would retreat, often with heavy losses, but they did infiltrate and reak havoc among the base.
January 3rd, 2006  
zander_0633

But they won the war because of unconventional Warfare!
January 4th, 2006  
FO Seaman

Quote:
But they won the war because of unconventional Warfare!
Not true, they won the war in the Halls of Congress. We won most ground battles.
January 4th, 2006  
Damien435

Cadet Seaman, did it ever occur to you that maybe that would be a result of the unconventional methods used by the VC and NVA that were meant to sap America's will to fight?